High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Got a Free Cat 977H Track Loader. Now What?

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can remember when I was about 7 standing in the cold and snow as Dad welded the rollers up for our 1949 IH TD-9. Then into the shop to turn them on the lathe. Now folks just remove and replace.

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They're triple grousers on each track pad so that might take a a minute or two to build them all back up...

One sprocket has bolt on segments, the other doesn't.

The rails have some wear. Not horrible, but they're definitely worn on the wear surface.
In my neck of the woods Street Pads are different from Grousers. The Lingo changes some as you go different areas.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea. I have a 7 axle double drop lowbed configuration for heavy stuff.
My KW with tridem trailer is what I use most at $4.75 a Km or $250.00 hr guess I need to up my rate.
Is that $4.75 per loaded KM? How about load and unload time. If a guy dinks around 2 hrs loading/unloading and you only went 100 Km you are losing your shorts.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice find! The H model was from 1960-1966 if I recall. We have a D6D dozer that we have done some work on and surprisingly most parts are still offered through CAT. We are going to have to put an undercarriage on it soon! We just put an undercarriage on a 400G and about died at the price! We did a 450G pre-vid19, and it was around $5500. Those 977s were good machines. I ran a K model for several years before they decided we didn’t need one any longer. I wish we had that machine back with a stacking rake and single grouser shoes!

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can remember when I was about 7 standing in the cold and snow as Dad welded the rollers up for our 1949 IH TD-9. Then into the shop to turn them on the lathe. Now folks just remove and replace.

Yeah, replacing 'em would be a lot less labor intensive, but welding and turning is still an option if they're NLA.

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice find! The H model was from 1960-1966 if I recall. We have a D6D dozer that we have done some work on and surprisingly most parts are still offered through CAT. We are going to have to put an undercarriage on it soon! We just put an undercarriage on a 400G and about died at the price! We did a 450G pre-vid19, and it was around $5500. Those 977s were good machines. I ran a K model for several years before they decided we didn’t need one any longer. I wish we had that machine back with a stacking rake and single grouser shoes!

Yes, 1960-1966 is what I'm seeing for the 977H.

It has lever steer and later H models came with pedal steer, so I'm guessing it's 1961, give or take a year. Still need to find the serial number.

This one needs an undercarriage, too, but that's way down on the list. If I could do it for $5,500, that would be awesome, but I think it's going to cost more than that. One sprocket has bolt-on segments, but the other doesn't.