Grease Monkey Garage

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
1:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
PAINT DAY!!!! :aaaaa: Every last tiny ding now looks huge, but with a little sanding it’ll really shape up. Since we’ve still got a gallon of color left, we can afford to do lots and lots of touch ups. Heck, mebbe my brother will even paint his Dodge Candy Apple Red.
DDD32C8E-A1B3-4D89-B4EC-DC6AFC058FBF.jpeg 040AD3BC-4362-4E23-83E8-112CC7AEB757.jpeg CF76A22E-8954-480A-8928-1D59FFC62012.jpeg

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
A bit of sanding later I had this:
View attachment 307360 View attachment 307361

I'm also redoing the bondo in a really bad spot, this time using a long board.

View attachment 307362 View attachment 307363

And lastly, the height difference between my truck and my brother's.

View attachment 307365
Striving for perfection.
I love it.

Glad you bumped this thread back up. I've been meaning to make a post here from my other one on Steve's Ford resto thread.
Any Dodge owners with the square body style out there interested in a wood grain dash bezel LMK.
Have one from an 89. Lookin to find a good home for it.
Pay it forwards.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
3:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Striving for perfection.
I love it.

Glad you bumped this thread back up. I've been meaning to make a post here from my other one on Steve's Ford resto thread.
Any Dodge owners with the square body style out there interested in a wood grain dash bezel LMK.
Have one from an 89. Lookin to find a good home for it.
Pay it forwards.

Your such a nice dude!

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You gonna be on the West Coast any time soon? I've got some wiring gremlins that need to be tracked down and I *frenching hate wiring!
I'll take a drive over after I finish my roof job...... seriously wish I lived a bit closer to help ya out.
Wiring gremlins in them old fords is usually tracked down to faulty grounds.
What er her symptoms?

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice job CFB! Plumbing and wiring used to be my one of my favorites.
Attention to detail can make or break a project.
There’s so much info online these days for these types of swaps that it makes the wiring almost easy.
Worst part was integrating the LS harness to the factory wiring. I wanted all my factory gauges to work. I spent a ton of time looking at wiring schematics and correcting wiring that previous owners had messed with.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Back when I was working for my mentor, we had a 79 Camaro come in the shop. The dash harness was fried. About a foot or so away from the fuse block it was one big melted mess. It traveled down the harness to just after the radio and stopped short of the glove box. I was surprised the car didn't catch on fire. We couldn't locate a new harness as to they were NA. Salvage yards had them priced in the $800 range and it was a gamble on the condition of the replacement. We decided to repair the existing harness. I pulled it all out ad placed it on the bench. I spent countless hours peeling, separating, and replacing wires. All soldered and shrink tubing. Thankful for wiring schematics.
That was my first big wiring job.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll take a drive over after I finish my roof job...... seriously wish I lived a bit closer to help ya out.
Wiring gremlins in them old fords is usually tracked down to faulty grounds.
What er her symptoms?
(As I recall) "Everything" at the taillights works when the running lights aren't on, if you turn on the running lights they don't actually come on in the rear, but the brake lights no longer work.

Two notes:
#1: Everything on the front half of the truck (save for the roof lights) works a-ok, everything I mention is solely in reference to the taillights

#2: The reason everything is in quotes is because while some bulbs light up every time you hit the brakes, flashers, put 'er in reverse, etc, I don't think the lower lights (clear lens) ever came on. This is all based off of slightly foggy memories from a month or so ago, so I could be wrong.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
(As I recall) "Everything" at the taillights works when the running lights aren't on, if you turn on the running lights they don't actually come on in the rear, but the brake lights no longer work.

Two notes:
#1: Everything on the front half of the truck (save for the roof lights) works a-ok, everything I mention is solely in reference to the taillights

#2: The reason everything is in quotes is because while some bulbs light up every time you hit the brakes, flashers, put 'er in reverse, etc, I don't think the lower lights (clear lens) ever came on. This is all based off of slightly foggy memories from a month or so ago, so I could be wrong.
There should be a harness plug under the cab that separates the rear from the rest of the wiring. Unplug it there and check for all your functions at the plug using a basic test light. If all is good there, inspect the rear section for any fraying and pinching. I would pay close attention to the body grounds.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There should be a harness plug under the cab that separates the rear from the rest of the wiring. Unplug it there and check for all your functions at the plug using a basic test light. If all is good there, inspect the read section for any fraying and pinching. I would pay close attention to the body grounds.
Oh yeah, I forgot a few things.
First, the rear harness may have been accidentally, partially pulled into pieces when the bed was pulled. It was carefully spliced together as best as I knew how, but the p.o. had hacked up the rear harness a wee bit. I think I got everything fixed correctly, but I'm not 100% confident on that.
Second, I checked the rear harness while it was out and repaired any and all frays I saw.
Third, I will do a test light thingy soon, but between college classes and feeling pretty crappy from coming off of the meds I got at the hospital I've been avoiding doing any sort of physical, outdoors work. I'll be sure to report back when I do get around to tinkering on the trucks again.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot a few things.
First, the rear harness may have been accidentally, partially pulled into pieces when the bed was pulled. It was carefully spliced together as best as I knew how, but the p.o. had hacked up the rear harness a wee bit. I think I got everything fixed correctly, but I'm not 100% confident on that.
Second, I checked the rear harness while it was out and repaired any and all frays I saw.
Third, I will do a test light thingy soon, but between college classes and feeling pretty crappy from coming off of the meds I got at the hospital I've been avoiding doing any sort of physical, outdoors work. I'll be sure to report back when I do get around to tinkering on the trucks again.
I agree, your health 1st.
Take care of you, brother.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guess I'll add to some of the ford truck action going on here. Tore my original 300 down for a full rebuild. Bearings were a bit worn!

Machine shop is boring it .030 over, rebuilding the head, all the works.

PXL_20210829_143420575.jpg PXL_20210829_160449874.jpg PXL_20210829_161553890.jpg PXL_20210829_185527237.jpg PXL_20210829_221044119.jpg