Grease Monkey Garage

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
4:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see a Snap-on ratchet. Overpriced but good quality tools.
Is that a NP205? I'll be on the hunt for Ford's version. I've seen 'em mated to a ZF6.
I'm back to wanting a stick again. The Allison conversion with a stand-a-lone TCM is just way to expensive.
I like rowing gears anyway .....
Mayhaps you should come down here to pick up this saw Craig. I have a driver drop 205 in the shed.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
3:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Couple poor boy builds I have going on.

1999 Red cab I already have pulled from the frame. Was originally a 7.4 nv4500. Getting it's second life as a 5.7 nv4500.

0727211854.jpg 0727211855c.jpg

Black suburban is a very straight and very minimal rust '98 3/4ton. 7.4. Right now it's going to stay a 7.4, but when that gives up the ghost. There is a low mi 6.0 ls in the white crew cab that is going to get swapped in.

0727211854b.jpg 0727211854a.jpg Capture+_2021-07-27-19-16-38.png

I'm blasting both frames and plan on keeping them a good long while. So they are going to get some time and $ put into them poor boy style (second hand/used parts where possible).

I came across them all at the right price and figured with the cost of the newer trucks/burbs getting sky high...... Said fudge it. I used to be all into building square body's. But in my experiences these gmt400 platform trucks are more friendly to work on and drive down the road. Not bashing. I still kick myself for selling my last '88 crew. I'll have it back one day. It's in good hands for now.

Steven

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Mayhaps you should come down here to pick up this saw Craig. I have a driver drop 205 in the shed.
Well it looks like I will have to make a trip to your place.
I'm gonna grab a block to build, and score a 6.0L ZF6 first.
I will take you up on that 205 :D

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
1:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hate doing bodywork. It is tedious, boring, and full of nasty smelling chemicals and I hate it. I especially hate doing it on a truck I sold under the condition that I would never have to touch it again. And yet, here I am. But at least the truck is now primed so I can fine-tune the bodywork and then I should be done with it.
IMG_7678.jpeg IMG_7679.jpeg IMG_7681.jpeg IMG_7682.jpeg IMG_7685.jpeg

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need to finish up the red truck soon so I can get the bodywork done on the yellow truck's bed and get my dad to prime and paint it. My goal is to get it finished enough I can store it outside while I'm recovering from an upcoming surgery. For now it just sits, patiently waiting while I rush to get everyone else's projects finished and returned to them
IMG_7686.jpeg

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I hate doing bodywork. It is tedious, boring, and full of nasty smelling chemicals and I hate it. I especially hate doing it on a truck I sold under the condition that I would never have to touch it again. And yet, here I am. But at least the truck is now primed so I can fine-tune the bodywork and then I should be done with it.
View attachment 305423 View attachment 305424 View attachment 305425 View attachment 305426 View attachment 305427
Hate it or not, you're doing an excellent job!
I think of it this way, you're making it "brandy new" again.
It's looking great.

You mentioned your upcoming surgery before...somewhere. I hope it's nothing to serious and wishing you good luck in advance brother.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hate it or not, you're doing an excellent job!
I think of it this way, you're making it "brandy new" again.
It's looking great.

You mentioned your upcoming surgery before...somewhere. I hope it's nothing to serious and wishing you good luck in advance brother.
No, nothing serious. I should be in, out, and back to life in about a month or so.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm posting this here because I still can't wrap my head around this. My brief forward is my brother is a nice guy and he actually knows quite a bit about mechanical stuff, so this was kinda shocking to me.

Anyways, when I was looking for areas I needed to touch up on the bed I noticed the front brake drums were just sitting on the hubs. As the wheels are off at the tire shop getting new tires, I figured he was looking at the brakes while they were off. Then I noticed the screw holes weren't lined up and the screws themselves were m.i.a., so I dug through the hardware bins until I found them and installed them. When I asked him why they weren't screwed on, his response was, "Big rigs only have the drums held on by the tires, so this truck doesn't need the screws." :eyepop: At this point I began questioning my riding in the truck in the past, and then I recalled that the front tires only had 4 lug nuts each the last time I'd checked. But it gets better! Only 1 or 2 per side was actually tightened! The others were only halfway threaded on! And he drove the truck a good 1/4 to 1/2 mile with it like that! No wonder he thought the front brakes still needed a little work.....

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm posting this here because I still can't wrap my head around this. My brief forward is my brother is a nice guy and he actually knows quite a bit about mechanical stuff, so this was kinda shocking to me.

Anyways, when I was looking for areas I needed to touch up on the bed I noticed the front brake drums were just sitting on the hubs. As the wheels are off at the tire shop getting new tires, I figured he was looking at the brakes while they were off. Then I noticed the screw holes weren't lined up and the screws themselves were m.i.a., so I dug through the hardware bins until I found them and installed them. When I asked him why they weren't screwed on, his response was, "Big rigs only have the drums held on by the tires, so this truck doesn't need the screws." :eyepop: At this point I began questioning my riding in the truck in the past, and then I recalled that the front tires only had 4 lug nuts each the last time I'd checked. But it gets better! Only 1 or 2 per side was actually tightened! The others were only halfway threaded on! And he drove the truck a good 1/4 to 1/2 mile with it like that! No wonder he thought the front brakes still needed a little work.....

Brothers rarely ever make sense.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

My wife used to have an 08 ford escape. It was making a terrible vibration. At the time we were residing in a duplex with a gravel driveway and on a hill. I decided to bring it to my buddy's garage since I refuse to jack chit up on a hill, unless it's an emergency.
Half way there the left rear tire comes off as she's following me in my truck. The wheel well kept the tire retained and the drum stayed riding on the inner rim. We had recently been down to NC from NY and drove it for a week down there. All that travel time after my buddy did all the brakes and other maintenance. I get the wheel back on and found all the lugs in the road. Get to the shop and find every wheel had loose lug nuts.

It was like someone was trying to take us out.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was like someone was trying to take us out.

I can't like that at all.

In the 70's, my uncle was growing dope in central California and at the time, he had a '69 Ford 1/2 ton. Someone cut the brake lines up front
and he lost his brakes going down a hill into Garberville, California. Luckily he was able to put it into a ditch and get stopped that way.
He figured it was competing grower trying to take him out. Those guys played rough back in the day.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just got back from the doc's, no surgery for awhile as they're gonna try an alternate route first. So, I've got maybe one week of downtime between now and December. That'll give me plenty of time to whip these trucks back into shape!

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just got back from the doc's, no surgery for awhile as they're gonna try an alternate route first. So, I've got maybe one week of downtime between now and December. That'll give me plenty of time to whip these trucks back into shape!
That's great news! I'm glad there is an alternative route. I much prefer that over going under the knife.
Looking forwards to your truck posts!

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What have I been doing to the truck, you wonder? Sanding. Lots and lots of effin wet sanding. I have a good 10+ hours solely invested into wet sanding this thing, but it is ready for paint*. *(It will get a tack-cloth/acetone wipe down immediately prior to paint, but for now it is ready.) (edit) Huh, I thought these photos were after the blue rag/acetone wipedown, but I guess not.
IMG_7716.jpeg IMG_7717.jpeg