Grease Monkey Garage

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Guess I'll add to some of the ford truck action going on here. Tore my original 300 down for a full rebuild. Bearings were a bit worn!

Machine shop is boring it .030 over, rebuilding the head, all the works.

View attachment 307725 View attachment 307726 View attachment 307727 View attachment 307728 View attachment 307729
I'll like that post again, with the update. Good to see that .030 overbore. You can always pick up a spare head for some porting magic and add the other goodies one step at a time as moneys allow.
I myself have troubles leaving much of anything stock. I'll blame my mentor for that. ;)

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
4:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll like that post again, with the update. Good to see that .030 overbore. You can always pick up a spare head for some porting magic and add the other goodies one step at a time as moneys allow.
I myself have troubles leaving much of anything stock. I'll blame my mentor for that. ;)

Pick up a spare head? I have a whole engine!

All stock for now. Sniper 2300, Clifford intake, better valve springs/retainers, and a nice cam when money allows. :)

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
2:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More wetsanding! Yippee! I goofed off from doing more sanding today to poke at my truck, though. I examined the bigazz receiver on the front, noticed a very suspicious chunk of red silicone back on the engine, and pulled some of the more egregious hardware out of the doors. I really shouldn't open that can of worms yet, but I can't help myself. For scale, those are all P3 or P4 phillips head screws, the pic just makes them look tiny.
IMG_7850.jpeg IMG_7851.jpeg IMG_7859.jpeg IMG_7860.jpeg
IMG_7861 2.jpeg

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, I installed the edge supports, fully bolted down, and straightened out the front bumper on the Yella truck.

Before:

IMG_7864.jpegIMG_7865.jpeg

Then I installed these guys:

IMG_7862.jpeg

And voila! It went from a 2 inch gap on one side and a 1/2 inch gap on the other to a pretty uniform (approx.) 1 inch gap:

IMG_7870.jpegIMG_7871.jpeg

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More wetsanding! Yippee! I goofed off from doing more sanding today to poke at my truck, though. I examined the bigazz receiver on the front, noticed a very suspicious chunk of red silicone back on the engine, and pulled some of the more egregious hardware out of the doors. I really shouldn't open that can of worms yet, but I can't help myself. For scale, those are all P3 or P4 phillips head screws, the pic just makes them look tiny.
View attachment 308113 View attachment 308114 View attachment 308115 View attachment 308116
View attachment 308118
Update: the red silicone was (probably) used to plug a leak where the dipstick meets the oil pan, so it's nothing to worry about.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, in spite of a power outage (Thanks PG&E!) the Red truck was moved outside and the Yella truck is being prepped for primer. Hopefully tomorrow it will get primed, wetsanded, and maybe even painted! For now I've finished the bondo work, re-caulked the bed seams, and sanded the interior of the built-in truck box door.
IMG_7882.jpeg IMG_7883.jpeg IMG_7886.jpeg

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Split posts due to pic count. I also didn't think to move my brother's tailgate outta the rain last night, but we tried to paint it anyways. Half a day is long enough to dry off, right? Wrong. But, the rock guard was painted and kinda installed, I still need to shift it more towards the drivers side. Also, even though we have an impressive generator the first time the big compressor kicked on the house lost power and the compressor was only running at half to three-quarter speed. After that I was told I had decided to stop using the electric compressor and my brother and I brought down the gas-powered compressor instead. Heavy equipment is pretty awesome, no matter if you need to move logs, swap truck bodies, or move heavy compressors.
IMG_7881.jpeg IMG_7884.jpeg IMG_7887.jpeg IMG_7891.jpeg IMG_7888.jpeg

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a question for all you body and paint guys out there. Today I realized when I mixed up a new cup of paint for my brother when painted the red truck, I goofed up. The ratio is 4:1:2 and the order is color, hardener, thinner. The 3 rows on the cup (stolen pic below) are numbered 1-7.
Using 1 vertical row I poured the color till it hit the 4, the hardener till it hit the 5, and the thinner till it hit the 7.
Today my brother informed me I was supposed to fill it with color till it hits the 1st 1, then fill w/hardener till it hit the 2nd 1, then fill w/thinner till it hit the 3rd 1.
Now, in spite of that the paint looks good, it dried good, and I can't tell where my brother started using the messed up mix. Are there any long term problems that might arise from my goof-up?
abn-1000-3.jpg

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In other news, the Yella truck has been re-primed and is awaiting wet sanding, then paint. The plan is to wetsand the whole bed/tailgate/toolbox lid then paint the inner lips of the bed, where the tailgate mounts, the sides and back of the tailgate, and the inside of the toolbox lid. Then I'll install the tailgate and toolbox lid and my brother will shoot the bedsides and the outer faces of the tailgate and toolbox simultaneously, so there won't be variations in the color.
IMG_7919.jpeg IMG_7920.jpegIMG_7924.jpeg IMG_7922.jpeg

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a question for all you body and paint guys out there. Today I realized when I mixed up a new cup of paint for my brother when painted the red truck, I goofed up. The ratio is 4:1:2 and the order is color, hardener, thinner. The 3 rows on the cup (stolen pic below) are numbered 1-7.
Using 1 vertical row I poured the color till it hit the 4, the hardener till it hit the 5, and the thinner till it hit the 7.
Today my brother informed me I was supposed to fill it with color till it hits the 1st 1, then fill w/hardener till it hit the 2nd 1, then fill w/thinner till it hit the 3rd 1.
Now, in spite of that the paint looks good, it dried good, and I can't tell where my brother started using the messed up mix. Are there any long term problems that might arise from my goof-up?
abn-1000-3.jpg
That’s a bummer. I don’t think it will be horrible long term, the extra hardener will make it shiny, the extra reducer will need more time to dry, and might slightly weaken the paint. Are you using reducer or thinner? Single stage?

Your previous question about the water on primer, are you using a water proof primer? If you do you can wet sand it without issue, if not the water can travel trough the primer and cause rust issues down the road. I learned a lot about painting, when painting my car with a pro, he didn’t want to do the whole job, so I did ton of the grunt work, and learned some good basics, but he sprayed it all, and told me in depth the reasons for a lot of it. It was slow but it has held up. Wasn’t aloud to touch sanded primer with a bare hand, always a glove or towel so no oil in your hand cause issues! It crazy how much prep and detail can be involved, he had tons of crazy stories, like when he worked at a dealership, someone sprayed a detail product in the main shop when he sprayed a car, and even with all the air filters in the Booth it fish eyed the paint! He also said the paint company’s have paint Analysis equipment that can tell the ratio you mixed the paint, the temp, the Humidity, and what or anything you used to clean the surface before painting, along with time between coats, he went to lots of training and the stuff the big company’s have is insane.

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
abn-1000-3.jpg
So you used the first vertical column and filled to lines 4,5, and 7?

If I am reading that right, it is the same ratio as using each column to line 4. Line 5 is equal to line 4 of the second column and line 7 is equal to line 4 of the third column. Of course It may be way too early and I may be completely wrong too.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you used the first vertical column and filled to lines 4,5, and 7?

If I am reading that right, it is the same ratio as using each column to line 4. Line 5 is equal to line 4 of the second column and line 7 is equal to line 4 of the third column. Of course It may be way too early and I may be completely wrong too.
You are correct, it’s the same ratio if only using one column. If using all three columns it would be off

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s a bummer. I don’t think it will be horrible long term, the extra hardener will make it shiny, the extra reducer will need more time to dry, and might slightly weaken the paint. Are you using reducer or thinner? Single stage?

Your previous question about the water on primer, are you using a water proof primer? If you do you can wet sand it without issue, if not the water can travel trough the primer and cause rust issues down the road. I learned a lot about painting, when painting my car with a pro, he didn’t want to do the whole job, so I did ton of the grunt work, and learned some good basics, but he sprayed it all, and told me in depth the reasons for a lot of it. It was slow but it has held up. Wasn’t aloud to touch sanded primer with a bare hand, always a glove or towel so no oil in your hand cause issues! It crazy how much prep and detail can be involved, he had tons of crazy stories, like when he worked at a dealership, someone sprayed a detail product in the main shop when he sprayed a car, and even with all the air filters in the Booth it fish eyed the paint! He also said the paint company’s have paint Analysis equipment that can tell the ratio you mixed the paint, the temp, the Humidity, and what or anything you used to clean the surface before painting, along with time between coats, he went to lots of training and the stuff the big company’s have is insane.
In order, reducer, single stage, and filler primer. For the primer, though, wetsanding wasn't an issue but forgetting to bring the tailgate in out of the rain was.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
abn-1000-3.jpg

Don't think you messed up at all. I was told to mix the same way as you did. That column is for large quantity. The others are for smaller mix batches.

But could be that I was tought wrong. And have been doing it wrong for many years!

Steven

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Ya'll been so busy. Nice jobs guys!

I'm havin a hard time keepin up with the daily flow of regular BS.
All my projects lay in wait.
Guess I should head back over the slacker thread. NSP3

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The bed will need a second coat (and some more bodywork) but the truck at least looks like it's one general color now. My brother shot the "dregs" on the fender I'm replacing, the paint colors are close but the gray primer makes the new stuff look more grey, and the factory red primer makes the old stuff look more red. And yes, the plastic did blow back and hit the paint by the cab in the first pic, that's why there are dark patches.
IMG_7956.jpeg
IMG_7958.jpeg IMG_7960.jpeg IMG_7961.jpegIMG_7962.jpeg