Grease Monkey Garage

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mrs. Geek wanted something better on gas for a goin' ta town rig, so I searched the ol' face-space until I found a 20 year old VW for $1,500. It followed me home, so now to get it road legal and fixed up good enough for a occasional driver. Updates will be coming.
OFPZ7290[1].JPG
Fixed already:
- Hood latch
- tailgate latch
- wiper blades
- turn signal bulb
- oil change

Need to fix:
- trans fluid and filter (new pan while i'm at it - the old one is rusty)
- air filter
- rear shocks
- front struts and coils (maybe)
- electrical gremlins everywhere - no electronics in the driver's door, no radio even present, 12v. power plug in the dash doesn't work, etc.
- transmission in limp mode - need to pull codes and see what's up
- ABS light is on - need to pull codes and see what's up
- front fender light
- clean the outside
- oh, and the inside smells like mold. Anybody got a remedy for that?

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
7:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spill a can of saw gas on the passenger side floor mat, it'll smell like saw gas for a few weeks at least. :D Maybe dump peppermint extract all over the interior? I drive a 94 Land Cruiser that has smelled "musty" for 8 years of semi-regular use, and the smell is just as strong as it was initially if it's 85+ and sunny in the car. I've deep cleaned it and the only result is the smell is mostly unnoticeable until the weather gets hot.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mrs. Geek wanted something better on gas for a goin' ta town rig, so I searched the ol' face-space until I found a 20 year old VW for $1,500. It followed me home, so now to get it road legal and fixed up good enough for a occasional driver. Updates will be coming.
View attachment 332920
Fixed already:
- Hood latch
- tailgate latch
- wiper blades
- turn signal bulb
- oil change

Need to fix:
- trans fluid and filter (new pan while i'm at it - the old one is rusty)
- air filter
- rear shocks
- front struts and coils (maybe)
- electrical gremlins everywhere - no electronics in the driver's door, no radio even present, 12v. power plug in the dash doesn't work, etc.
- transmission in limp mode - need to pull codes and see what's up
- ABS light is on - need to pull codes and see what's up
- front fender light
- clean the outside
I have been looking at a vw Jetta with a 6 speed manual for commuting, it's 20 years old as well. 140,xxx miles runs and drives, I know nothing about vw's.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spill a can of saw gas on the passenger side floor mat, it'll smell like saw gas for a few weeks at least. :D Maybe dump peppermint extract all over the interior? I drive a 94 Land Cruiser that has smelled "musty" for 8 years of semi-regular use, and the smell is just as strong as it was initially if it's 85+ and sunny in the car. I've deep cleaned it and the only result is the smell is mostly unnoticeable until the weather gets hot.
Perfect!

Mrs. Geek sprayed vinegar all around the interior today and scrubbed it. Probably going to need more of that.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
503F8730-5BC0-474F-A514-454F8AE0705C.jpeg 991F5DA0-D07A-4068-8ABE-EEFCEF0585A0.jpeg FINALLY decided to use the original booster with the Wilwood master, just had to persuade the spring tower a wee bit. Next steps are to bleed the clutch master/slave, then run new brake lines everywhere and install the Wilwood 4 wheel disk brakes. The rear end is held up untill the Detroit Locker arrives. Gears came in, I’ll roll the rear inner fenders, cut off the bump stops, and begin the negotiations for rear tires/rims. I’m looking for 10” rims with 295-315 tires. Prolly settle with upper level management for 9” rims with 275-285 tires

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All rebuilt and painted. View attachment 334035
You’ve won our race, beat me to the finish !!
Looks great !! You should be able to launch with slicks and lift both fronts without having to worry about that rear !!!

Ordered a Detroit Locker instead of the Eaton True-Trac. “Someone” ordered the Eaton for a Ford 8.8” instead of a 9” ……… still waiting on the locker to show up.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
9:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally getting some forward progress on my replacement 4l80. Just need to go through the valve body and button it up.

0511222208.jpg

And building a second air compressor to have on hand. Should be a dandy.

Tank is a 30 gal I bought and the pump went to chit. A friend had a ingersol t-10 that never got used and also never had the tank drained......... The tank rusted through and popped. He gifted the pump and motor to me. I cut the mounting plate from the ingersol tank and welded it to the tank mounts on mine. Was going to cut them off and go right to the tank. But figured I'd play it safe and not risk weakening the tank.

0511221900.jpg

Steven