EGT Sensor for tuning?

Arcticmiller

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone tried installing an EGT guage on their modded saws? It’d be pretty simple with a weld in bung.

I know it’s common to do on snowmobiles and airplanes etc. but I was thinking there might be some value in having a “tuning muffler” set up with a probe to just see where the saw is happy -one for stihl, husky, etc.

The auto tune doesn’t give a person any exhaust gas temp feedback, the input couldn’t be used for much except dialing in a carburetor practically I suppose, but it might help those seeking that “knife edge” of performance and possibly help keep from melting saws down they folks are putting an awful lot of time/effort/and $ into….Just a thought that crossed my mind this morning.

I personally don’t have the need for one, but like to entertain novel ideas.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
5:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I personally don’t see the need for doing this. As long as the saw 4-strokes when you lift from the cut, you are good to go. You can always pull the plug after cutting and verify how it’s running.

Arcticmiller

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I personally don’t see the need for doing this. As long as the saw 4-strokes when you lift from the cut, you are good to go. You can always pull the plug after cutting and verify how it’s running.
True, it wouldn’t be “needed” for any application except those seeking peak power for say competitive cutting-zero real world woodcutter/work saw application.

But like with the thing installed on my snowmobile it lets ya know to take it easy before burning the thing down-which is pretty common with sleds racing down lakes, or pulling monster hills etc. The tech has become smaller to the point it’s doable on a saw-which is pretty amazing in itself.

I was just curious to see if anyone had done it yet.

Arcticmiller

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, so he used a head temp guage. Which is a reflection of overall heat accrual. An important measurement as well, I think the value in the EGT would be you’re basically measuring the carburetor adjustment with greater precision. In real time.

Planes usually utilize cylinder head temperature and EGT since you’re tuning your carb mixture as you fly. The consequence of burning up an engine while underway can be bad. That’s what actually got me thinking about the other potential applications.

The practicality might not be there, but if time and funding allows I may play around with the idea in the future.

Hulpio

DIY addict
GoldMember
Local time
1:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will test a multimeter with temp measuring connected to a thermocouple.
Paid something like 30USD. Boiling water and it shows 98-99C. Body temp 34-35C. Tip of candlelight was tested too and error was like 5C against figure I read from some website.