High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Official Rules For Asian MS440 Buildoff 2018 MMWS GTG

Iggy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
My 440 hung a ring on like the first couple tanks, coming back to idle after revving and locked up. Looks alot like yours but I had the rings that came with it, I believe the ring gap was larger than desired. Now I'm running cabers. This is my first saw build, I didn't make it in far before a failure lol

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well,

Here’s the AM impulse line which @paragonbuilder sliced in half for science.

No apparent flap or other issue seen. So we are postulating one of two things is happening.

First, it’s softer and not transmitting the appropriate pulse to the carb to pump fuel.

Secondly, the the bend inside is slightly off and it’s hitting the already too long barb opening in the barbed fitting and occluding the opening in it.

Please forgive the bad artwork, but imagine the yellow line being the barb coming out of the case. If you’re having issues, pull the line slightly off the fitting a bit more and see if the issue is gone. At least for me, the case end of the impulse line didn’t seat fully on the case like it does on an oem case.

It’s seeming like the top cover is the only usable part of this kit. Even my AF cover has to have the rear hole lowered to fit onto the back of the saw.

View attachment 143788 View attachment 143789

I opened up a new Asian 440 today and confirmed the problem and came up with a fix that works.

I installed the impulse line firmly on the unassembled case, and I could not blow through it. Removed the impulse and installed a small metal washer under it and was able to easily blow through it.

Thank you (Al + Dan) again for identifying this problem Even the ones I got running with OEM carbs are often hard to start, likely because of this. I may just back the line out a bit on some of them and see if it stays there. If not, apart they will come!

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I opened up a new Asian 440 today and confirmed the problem and came up with a fix that works.

I installed the impulse line firmly on the unassembled case, and I could not blow through it. Removed the impulse and installed a small metal washer under it and was able to easily blow through it.

Thank you (Al + Dan) again for identifying this problem Even the ones I got running with OEM carbs are often hard to start, likely because of this. I may just back the line out a bit on some of them and see if it stays there. If not, apart they will come!

That’s great Mike!
I’m glad you confirmed it. I wonder if oem will do the same if not spaced of the cylinder

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did not check if it was the line itself or the barb, but was just glad the fix worked!

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The Bubba tore his Beast down this evening, and we replaced the impulse line with a used oem line. While it was apart, I did a little more grinding on it with my spinny thing......

Now it runs and starts like a real 440.

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I may have to try a impulse. Mine will hit on choke and that's it. Got it to fire up once and sounded great revving it but died when I let off it and wouldn't start back. But it's flooding . This is with an OEM carb.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
10:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I may have to try a impulse. Mine will hit on choke and that's it. Got it to fire up once and sounded great revving it but died when I let off it and wouldn't start back. But it's flooding . This is with an OEM carb.

If sound wins, Bubbas saw is a winner. Four stroking real hard at eleventy billion rpms.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is the beauty of this web site. When your eyes can't see something, often someone else's eyes will see it. That, and all the shared knowledge, you could not learn all this stuff by yourself in a lifetime! Often turns frustration in reward!

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Bubba tore his Beast down this evening, and we replaced the impulse line with a used oem line. While it was apart, I did a little more grinding on it with my spinny thing......

Now it runs and starts like a real 440.

Is he running a New West 440 P+C???

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the info (Dr Al + Dan). If that is the problem, a simple spacer between the impulse line and the case should cure it. Like I stated previously, the carb issue on these saws was driving me crazy, and I was very hopeful someone would discover the problem.

The AM kits take about 3X longer to assemble than OEM due to poor fit + finish. However, OEM 044/440s have all but vanished from around here, and being semi retired I view these as a "puzzle challenge". As such, I really appreciate that these low cost kits are out there, and I have acquired 3 more to turn into Hybrids (I will use OEM 460 pistons and the HS Supply Door Buster jugs). The one I did that way seems to run pretty well, noticeably better than the BB ones I did, and the HLS jugs seem to only need mild mods.

If I were trying to make a living based on my time, I would not touch an AM saw. Fortunately, this is just a hobby for me.
Thanks Mike.

It was a total head scratcher. That pretty much sums it up.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s the impulse line Dave.

Mine did the same at first.

It will pull fuel on choke only, then she floods out. It may run with eleventy-billion more pulls on it, but it will die again, then be unable to start again.

It’s the impulse line. I gotta thank Dan for his persistence on this issue. I figured it was the impulse line not because my brain is so big, it was because it was the only AM part left of the true running parts on the saw. After the swap, it suddenly ran fine. Then Dan sliced the line looking for a flap. We both vac and pressure tested the line with no failure found.

Mustang confirmed our thoughts. It’s the pic with the bad yellow drawing inside. The darn barb and the damn soft line interface wrong.

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It’s the impulse line Dave.

Mine did the same at first.

It will pull fuel on choke only, then she floods out. It may run with eleventy-billion more pulls on it, but it will die again, then be unable to start again.

It’s the impulse line. I gotta thank Dan for his persistence on this issue. I figured it was the impulse line not because my brain is so big, it was because it was the only AM part left of the true running parts on the saw. After the swap, it suddenly ran fine. Then Dan sliced the line looking for a flap. We both vac and pressure tested the line with no failure found.

Mustang confirmed our thoughts. It’s the pic with the bad yellow drawing inside. The darn barb and the damn soft line interface wrong.
Well hell that's exactly what mine is doing. It'll hit on choke then click it off and pull it till my arms can't anymore. It might fire off it might not.