Local time
2:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks great Red.

What were your final numbers?

Another comp reading after the run?

I'm slacking. Between work and Easter, not sure I'll be done for another week or two.

106 on the ex 125 on the transfers, and 76/88 on the intake.

I will try and grab another comp reading tomorrow before I head out of town for work.

This saw would be hard to beat if it could spin up around 14k. Should have checked it without the air filter. High needle all the way in 13k max. Like it hits a wall.
Didn't get a full tank through, but did quite a few long cuts, didn't notice the tune wandering for the high comp, so that is a good sign.

Saw seems to clear noodles really well too.

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
1:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
106 on the ex 125 on the transfers, and 76/88 on the intake.

I will try and grab another comp reading tomorrow before I head out of town for work.

This saw would be hard to beat if it could spin up around 14k. Should have checked it without the air filter. High needle all the way in 13k max. Like it hits a wall.
Didn't get a full tank through, but did quite a few long cuts, didn't notice the tune wandering for the high comp, so that is a good sign.

Saw seems to clear noodles really well too.
@wigglesworth can you explain this.
I talked this over with wiggs and he tried to explain it. He didn't have the carb in hand of course. But it's something to do with the carb having dual feeders to the high side so it's actually governed.

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I talked this over with wiggs and he tried to explain it. He didn't have the carb in hand of course. But it's something to do with the carb having dual feeders to the high side so it's actually governed.
I'm sorry guys carbs are still one if my weeknesses. Wiggs and poleman are very good with them

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Supposed to flow roughly 85% fuel fully closed.

I bet dropping the bottom ring would be worth a couple hundred rpm in a gtg saw.

I have 2 14.25mm carbs and a 14.6 zama coming, gonna try my damdest to get more air through this fella.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sorry guys carbs are still one if my weeknesses. Wiggs and poleman are very good with them

No worries man, shoot, I couldn't hardly tune a carb 6 months ago. So I hardly know anything bout them, but I am good at cobbling things to get what I want :)

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No worries man, shoot, I couldn't hardly tune a carb 6 months ago. So I hardly know anything bout them, but I am good at cobbling things to get what I want :)
Well if u can't find a carb there's a way to bypass the dual feeders so u can lean it out. But i don't think it'll make the saw faster for say. I think your on the right track with a bigger venturi.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
131 after is cut the base, set them at 125 in the finished pic.
How did you come up with 125? Is that same amount you take from exhaust roof. 6 degree

Just trying to learn. Not questioning your work by any means.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm wondering if it's the crappy air filter.

Anyway the coil is limited? Would the breaking up sound like 4 stroking? I've never ran a limited coil saw.

I'm still trying to understand what creates rpm per se. What makes one saw 4 stroke at a higher rpm than others.

I had this problem on a recent 026 with an 044 carb. Saw was stuck in the 13's no matter what I did, even with the large Venturi. I finally popped the air filter and the saw jumped 3000 rpm.

Again, I've managed 16,000 from a 194 on an 026. The same size Venturi as this carb.

I took a bit more than you did off my base red. My squish is a bit looser. I'm hoping my comp is no higher than yours.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How did you come up with 125? Is that same amount you take from exhaust roof. 6 degree

Just trying to learn. Not questioning your work by any means.
It's got nothing to do with it.

Where one sets the transfers is one of the most difficult questions to answer. Transfers are the black magic of porting. Most pick numbers based on what's worked well before, and go from there.

When a saw is unknown, it's a whole notha story. You try to figure out what the factory gave you, try to figure out why they did it that way, and you go from there. The OEMs don't pick numbers that won't make a saw run, they try to balance fuel economy, emissions, durability and performance. We just trade one for the other.

To determine where to set a transfer, many inter-related things must be examined. Blowdown, the shape of the exhaust port, the restriction of the exhaust port, the number of transfers, the size and volume of the transfers, the case volume, the intake port closing degree, etc....

The reason you can't find the simple answer you are looking for is because one doesn't exist.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to you. Hope I'm not coming off like that.

And yes, Miller and Red97 did great jobs here.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After all this reading, I'm gonna attempt:

As high as I can get the exhaust, hopefully I can pull 108 out of her.

17* on the exhaust side and 18* of Blowdown on the intake side of the mains

42* of cranking comp in the intake floor center and 40* at the square part.

Last edited:

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Anyway the coil is limited? Would the breaking up sound like 4 stroking? I've never ran a limited coil saw.

I'm still trying to understand what creates rpm per se. What makes one saw 4 stroke at a higher rpm than others.

I had this problem on a recent 026 with an 044 carb. Saw was stuck in the 13's no matter what I did, even with the large Venturi. I finally popped the air filter and the saw jumped 3000 rpm.

Again, I've managed 16,000 from a 194 on an 026. The same size Venturi as this carb.

I took a bit more than you did off my base red. My squish is a bit looser. I'm hoping my comp is no higher than yours.

Definitely think the air filter could be a limiting factor. Won't have much time to test it till I get back.

Don't believe the coil is limited, for 1 it is black not that that is 100% accurate. And the tach dosent bounce around like crazy at the top rpm. That is normally a sure sign of a limited coil.

My comp reading was squewe'd, had more oil in the jug than I thought. Checked it last night at 215-220. And I'm at 106 on the exhaust.

The way I see the rpm thing is.
It takes a certain volume of air and fuel to make a set rpm. I mean most any saw will lean out to 14k because it has the air to do so. I think that is the limit g factor with these saws is air. It has plenty of fuel for the amount of air it can flow. That is shown by being able to feed 4 stroke at 12,500. If it didn't supply enough fuel it wouldn't 4 stroke at all.

Now once we add more air that may change things. But one step at a time.

Just the way I see things. Could be completely wrong.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great info. That's perfect for comp. what I would want.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Yeah those flock oh26 filters suck. Mine is stuffed with foam at the moment till I can get one of the winter mesh filters topped with pantyhose