Echo cs 490 porting

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unloaded, my saw stays at the same 13,500 with or without the air filter. It didn't do that before the carb mods, it had dropped 500 rpm with the filter prior.

The unlimited coil sounds interesting. I'm wondering if the limited coil may be why this saw doesn't want any timing advance.

If the saw isn't turning more than 13,000 with the bar buried, will an unlimited coil make it any faster/stronger?
Damn Al, if you are holding 13k buried, that is one hell of a good port job!

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I doubt I am Dan.

That's my question. If a saw is making peak power at 11k in wood, does a coil that allows higher rpm do anything?

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I doubt I am Dan.

That's my question. If a saw is making peak power at 11k in wood, does a coil that allows higher rpm do anything?
Just makes it easier to tune as far as I know. Unless the curve is different...

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm guilty of not tuning the saw in wood. It certainly can pick up some power.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm guilty of not tuning the saw in wood. It certainly can pick up some power.
Yeah I'm starting to now cuz I keep running into limited coils... I remember @166 saying there were a couple different coils for the dolmar 7900. If I remember correctly the one that was limited lower actually made more power.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unloaded, my saw stays at the same 13,500 with or without the air filter. It didn't do that before the carb mods, it had dropped 500 rpm with the filter prior.

The unlimited coil sounds interesting. I'm wondering if the limited coil may be why this saw doesn't want any timing advance.

If the saw isn't turning more than 13,000 with the bar buried, will an unlimited coil make it any faster/stronger?

The timing is pretty far advanced stock. 34* btdc @10k

I have metal mesh here, so an AF mod should be easy. I'm wondering if the AF cover needs to be vented Red.

I have a 16" bar for a Husky 346 in .325. I also have a 14" echo bar in 3/8 LP- waiting on a sprocket.

I'm working for the next 9 days. May have a break in the action on Sunday to play.

I want to put a "Element" filter setup on it. Like echo did with the previous models. Just so I know it shouldn't be a restriction down the road.

I doubt I am Dan.

Even if it dosent hold much more than 11.5k bar buried in the cut. The extra 1 k rpm unloaded will help with limbing speed. Expecially if I can quicken the throttle response.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The timing is pretty far advanced stock. 34* btdc @10k

I want to put a "Element" filter setup on it. Like echo did with the previous models. Just so I know it shouldn't be a restriction down the road.

Even if it dosent hold much more than 11.5k bar buried in the cut. The extra 1 k rpm unloaded will help with limbing speed. Expecially if I can quicken the throttle response.
The filter on my cs510 is original but it still flows nice. I'd be curious as to what rpm ur saw would spin no load with unlimited coil. After this weekend at the staples gtg il se if someone or dodge geeks have a tach so I can tach the 510. My poulan piped only runs 13ish cause of rev limiter but the 510 I think spins up to about 14.5 15k in my un educated guess.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Set at 12,900.

Full size 3/87 x16 stihl rs chain. My test log is getting bigger each cookie.

Limited coil for sure. Don't know how why who. 13,300 is all she Will go. If I turn the H screw In more it bogs out/falls on its face etc. Like 6-8k rpm.

Gonna play with carbs tomorrow.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To fit a k095 you have to open the adjuster holes towards the chain groove. Oil hole somewhat lines up. If you plan on full time use of a k095 bar than I would recommend lowering the oil hole.

Man these lil saws can move some oil. Set it on max bet it could run a 36". That 16" Had oil dripping out of it, and the saw coversed in a haze lol

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Oh yeah I think my top handle could lube a 25 inch bar my 510 I cranked up the oiler to the max lastyear and ran out of oil before I was out of fuel