NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The bags are the way to go. Even the cheap ones work well and stay open alright. I have lots including the teufelberger/New England ropes bag which I really like. The collapsing weaver bag is a good cheap place to start:

I prefer daisy chain for a bag less rope storage option. For throw line you can get a 10 dollar hand fishing reel off Amazon. I prefer that to the throw line cubes, but I started with throw line before there was such a thing and I guess I’m a little old school now. Although I don’t really feel all that old school.

As far as your gaffs I can’t help you there. Bucks and Bashlins have always fit me perfectly.🤷🏼‍♂️ Although I will say if you’re spurring anything other than removals you’re doing it wrong.
I am not, and will not spur healthy trees 👍.

Sierra_rider

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since this thread was answered by some climbers...
I finally went up a tree yesterday. I'm happy with all my gear, but the notch gecko steel climbers... I have questions lol. The shin pads are alright... But like all things are for me, overall the climbers are too big. The supports are too wide for my lil size 8's. And the foot strap doesn't seem to do much even when cranked down (which I know will wear them out fast). My boots started to float around in the frames. I was left feeling less than secure in them. The gaffs are badass. Very little was needed to set them. I did gaff out once, but the bark on this tree was loose (which also made flipping the lanyard difficult). I have the urge to modify the frames/straps to fit my feet better. Also, what the hell are the extra holes near the strap? View attachment 371985View attachment 371986
Finally, as this seems a topic of much debate, how do you guys like to coil/wind your climbing rope?

I'm not a bunch of help with the gaffs, but I have a set up that works well for me. If I'm wearing gaffs, I climb with my Nick's logger-style boots with the tall heel. They ride nicely in the climber. I also run the lower straps that have the ring, I hate the ringless style...they're either way too tight or just plain loose for me. I mostly spur-climb with a 30+ year old pair of bucks, I put the velcro lower strap on them.

In the picture is also my back-up pair of Kleins that I got for free, I haven't put the velcro on them, but they do alright. I like the old-school spur on the Bucks quite a bit better compared to the newer ones. It's a bit longer of a spike than the newer ones, so it does well on the large, thick-barked conifers around here.

20220521_195250.jpg.19839dcc4716d08c46325d4342b7326e.jpg

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm definitely not opposed to bags, if their good and stay open while flaking into them. However, the good ones cost and right now I'm tapped. I love that daisy chain method for extension cords too. But I can never remember how.... The climber my boss uses, (freaking badass old skool climber) uses a broom handle like you do the kite reel. Seems good for him. He wraps it so there's a bite he can biner it to his harness with. Takes it up with him for resets.
I leave my rope runner on my line about 80ft "up", as I set my line I slide the RR up or down accordingly and use a basal tie. No need to use/take out more than I need, and if I need more when I'm aloft I just pull it out of the bag.
I prefer daisy chain for a bag less rope storage option. For throw line you can get a 10 dollar hand fishing reel off Amazon. I prefer that to the throw line cubes, but I started with throw line before there was such a thing and I guess I’m a little old school now. Although I don’t really feel all that old school.
After I showed you guys how to get that branch down at Dennis' place ;), I knew I wanted that reel you had. It's something anyone can do/help out with, and I like as much off the ground before I start climbing or cutting. The one thing bad about it is it can get a little twisted, but every so often I just pull the end all the way through and tie the bag on the opposite end, which often works well anyway.
Thanks man :beer-toast1:.
I'm not a bunch of help with the gaffs, but I have a set up that works well for me. If I'm wearing gaffs, I climb with my Nick's logger-style boots with the tall heel. They ride nicely in the climber. I also run the lower straps that have the ring, I hate the ringless style...they're either way too tight or just plain loose for me. I mostly spur-climb with a 30+ year old pair of bucks, I put the velcro lower strap on them.

In the picture is also my back-up pair of Kleins that I got for free, I haven't put the velcro on them, but they do alright. I like the old-school spur on the Bucks quite a bit better compared to the newer ones. It's a bit longer of a spike than the newer ones, so it does well on the large, thick-barked conifers around here.

20220521_195250.jpg.19839dcc4716d08c46325d4342b7326e.jpg
I feel like Forest Gump in those torturous devices, and I just want to run Forest run until they are off 🤣.

Sierra_rider

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For ropes, I put most of mine in bags. I've got a couple of static lines/bull ropes that I don't have bags for and I just gasket coil them. One of my bull-ropes is in a daisy chain right now, as my shoulders didn't feel up to the task of coiling it, the last time I used it.🤣

My throwline is kept in one of those collapsible cubes, although I'm not totally impressed by it. Whenever I get a new throw line, I tie it taughtly between 2 trees for a day, in order to get rid of the "memory" and avoid tangles. I then put it away carefully, yet it's often tangled to hell when I go to use it.:teeth:

I feel like Forest Gump in those torturous devices, and I just want to run Forest run until they are off 🤣.

Yeah, I always put them on/take them off pretty close to the base of the tree. My Buckinghams are the old-school good ones, and I don't want to wear out the spurs by walking around in them.

That spur design makes them a little more comfortable in the tree IMO. I could be full of it and just imagining this, but a lot of the newer gaffs have a spur angle that put sideways pressure onto my knees. I think the newer ones are less apt to gaff out when moving around, but I'll choose comfort over that. Those Bucks are great for the cedars, redwoods, large pines, etc...my old man used these to climb redwoods years ago and they're my favorite for most of the stuff I do. However, the long, steep spur does make them a bit unwieldy on broad trees. That's the only time I break out those Kleins...I've even got another pair that has shorter spikes.

I was given 3 sets of new/never used linesmen gear a couple years back. Most of the stuff isn't usable for tree work, but at least the gaffs were usable.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
1:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like pole gaffs for thin bark trees, but I really like the straighter old style spikes. The bark here is surprisingly thick. I guess it’s just what I’m used to. They also fit a foot ascender better. The main thing I like is a lot of padding against my shin. The pads on my spikes cost as much as the frame.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For ropes, I put most of mine in bags. I've got a couple of static lines/bull ropes that I don't have bags for and I just gasket coil them. One of my bull-ropes is in a daisy chain right now, as my shoulders didn't feel up to the task of coiling it, the last time I used it.🤣

My throwline is kept in one of those collapsible cubes, although I'm not totally impressed by it. Whenever I get a new throw line, I tie it taughtly between 2 trees for a day, in order to get rid of the "memory" and avoid tangles. I then put it away carefully, yet it's often tangled to hell when I go to use it.:teeth:

Yeah, I always put them on/take them off pretty close to the base of the tree. My Buckinghams are the old-school good ones, and I don't want to wear out the spurs by walking around in them.

That spur design makes them a little more comfortable in the tree IMO. I could be full of it and just imagining this, but a lot of the newer gaffs have a spur angle that put sideways pressure onto my knees. I think the newer ones are less apt to gaff out when moving around, but I'll choose comfort over that. Those Bucks are great for the cedars, redwoods, large pines, etc...my old man used these to climb redwoods years ago and they're my favorite for most of the stuff I do. However, the long, steep spur does make them a bit unwieldy on broad trees. That's the only time I break out those Kleins...I've even got another pair that has shorter spikes.

I was given 3 sets of new/never used linesmen gear a couple years back. Most of the stuff isn't usable for tree work, but at least the gaffs were usable.
My shoulders don't ever feel up to it, so I just roll with what does, bags and daisy chains.
No need for a cube with the reel, but I would like one as sometimes there's just too much junk on the ground and I could just shoot it out of the cube. I could set up a small tarp, but then you got another thing to take care of and store so...
Honestly, I'd rather not climb at all, that's what all you young guys are for :p. When I do climb I'm typically just going up to remove enough to drop the tree nearly whole, seems many tolimes there are just a few branches stopping that from happening, at least on the jobs I take.
I have a saying, "climbers will climb", I do everything I can to avoid it; funny how many trees can be dropped without climbing them, but climbers bid them and say they need to be climbed.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My shoulders don't ever feel up to it, so I just roll with what does, bags and daisy chains.
No need for a cube with the reel, but I would like one as sometimes there's just too much junk on the ground and I could just shoot it out of the cube. I could set up a small tarp, but then you got another thing to take care of and store so...
Honestly, I'd rather not climb at all, that's what all you young guys are for :p. When I do climb I'm typically just going up to remove enough to drop the tree nearly whole, seems many tolimes there are just a few branches stopping that from happening, at least on the jobs I take.
I have a saying, "climbers will climb", I do everything I can to avoid it; funny how many trees can be dropped without climbing them, but climbers bid them and say they need to be climbed.
That's precisely why I like the cube. Oak forests full of leaves and twigs...

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
That's precisely why I like the cube. Oak forests full of leaves and twigs...
I used to think the same thing, but it always seemed like the cube collected random unnoticed twigs and small debris to eventually turn into an irretrievable birds nest. I just got tired of the fiddly nature of them. So I switched to the hand real. If there’s lots of junk on the ground I’ll just drop a canvas tarp. I always have an 8x8 on the truck for clean up anyway, but it’s rare I need it for throwline.

Sierra_rider

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I generally avoid climbing if I can, but I'll resort to it if I'm unsure about fitting a tree into a certain spot. I'll fall some trees that a lot of guys think are too risky to not climb...I'm a faller first IMO. My weak link is probably the broad trees, I'm not as good at reading lean, weight, etc with them and it's just the safer option to climb/piece them out. Get me some in some of our conifers and my confidence level goes way up. I'm pretty comfortable with how much of a back lean that I can wedge, jack, or pull. Side leans, no big deal. It's just those trees are 99% of my experience. If I can't fit one in a hole, I do enjoy climbing them...nothing quite like blowing the top out at 100'+ up in a big pine or redwood.

Here's a fall that a couple people thought I was a little crazy for, it seemed pretty straightforward to me. The buildings are still there lol.

Snapshot_5.png.b617cf29d2625b7dba7be8aab4752908.png
Snapshot_6.png.3a420f381d87ac211e3a72a496c577c9.png
Snapshot_7.png.fecd6faa7c79c512d1c5aa1b1c4effb4.png

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
1:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really enjoy in-tree removals, but there’s no denying that falling is faster. I find there’s often less grounds damage as well. I’ve had a few customers insist I piece out an easy flopper because they didn’t want lawn damage. Kind of like customers that think pruning will reduce the number of leaves they rake. Half the art of tree work is setting customer expectations.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to think the same thing, but it always seemed like the cube collected random unnoticed twigs and small debris to eventually turn into an irretrievable birds nest. I just got tired of the fiddly nature of them. So I switched to the hand real. If there’s lots of junk on the ground I’ll just drop a canvas tarp. I always have an 8x8 on the truck for clean up anyway, but it’s rare I need it for throwline.
Well, I bought a weaver cube, and I hear they like to break. When that happens I'll just reel it. 👍

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I bought a weaver cube, and I hear they like to break. When that happens I'll just reel it. 👍
It’s good to try different things out. You may find you really like the cube and stick with it. It is true about the weaver cubes wearing out quickly.

I still have cubes. They are good for spare throw line set ups. You never know when you will get one stuck no matter how well you tie a slippery girth hitch.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
2:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always liked the cubes. They fold up and stow away nicely in a climbing gear bag. And I didn’t have much trouble with them at all..

I always tied off new throw line to a tree or other solid object, and then pulled tight with a pickup or skid steer, etc to “set” the string. Hardly ever knotted up after that.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s good to try different things out. You may find you really like the cube and stick with it. It is true about the weaver cubes wearing out quickly.

I still have cubes. They are good for spare throw line set ups. You never know when you will get one stuck no matter how well you tie a slippery girth hitch.
My other ball and line are in a mug...

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always liked the cubes. They fold up and stow away nicely in a climbing gear bag. And I didn’t have much trouble with them at all..

I always tied off new throw line to a tree or other solid object, and then pulled tight with a pickup or skid steer, etc to “set” the string. Hardly ever knotted up after that.
Damn... Never thought to stretch the gal out like that... Might have to try it!

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
2:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It makes a big difference is removing any memory it may have. Of course, it can be broken if not stretched carefully. I never let it sit long, just pulled it tight and let sit a little while (5-15 mins) and then put it away.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely stretch a new line. I usually just tie it around a tree and tie the other end around a thick branch and stretch the heck out of it that way.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely stretch a new line. I usually just tie it around a tree and tie the other end around a thick branch and stretch the heck out of it that way.
It was a kinky lil hoe the other day. Kept springing back to kinky when I flaked it into the cube. This is such good advice. Well, after 10 throws, I got a rope in the tree and didn't lose my throwball. Some success was achieved lol.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I generally avoid climbing if I can, but I'll resort to it if I'm unsure about fitting a tree into a certain spot. I'll fall some trees that a lot of guys think are too risky to not climb...I'm a faller first IMO. My weak link is probably the broad trees, I'm not as good at reading lean, weight, etc with them and it's just the safer option to climb/piece them out. Get me some in some of our conifers and my confidence level goes way up. I'm pretty comfortable with how much of a back lean that I can wedge, jack, or pull. Side leans, no big deal. It's just those trees are 99% of my experience. If I can't fit one in a hole, I do enjoy climbing them...nothing quite like blowing the top out at 100'+ up in a big pine or redwood.

Here's a fall that a couple people thought I was a little crazy for, it seemed pretty straightforward to me. The buildings are still there lol.

Snapshot_5.png.b617cf29d2625b7dba7be8aab4752908.png
Snapshot_6.png.3a420f381d87ac211e3a72a496c577c9.png
Snapshot_7.png.fecd6faa7c79c512d1c5aa1b1c4effb4.png
Nice man! Thread the needle 👍. I'm not that confident. I'd have pulled that one.