NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm enamored with how light these are. As a new climber I feel that's what I need. Looking for any and all opinions on this saw. Reliability, bar size flexibility, tune ability, mods. Lay it on me!

schmeg

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the rear handle version. It hits way above its weight for sure, but 25cc has its limits. Stock configuration don’t expect miracles in large limbs. Ported they become a monster. Some folks are running them ported with a 14” picco setup. Mine is bone stock. It’s just for brushing on the ground and it’s been very reliable.

Sierra_rider

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm enamored with how light these are. As a new climber I feel that's what I need. Looking for any and all opinions on this saw. Reliability, bar size flexibility, tune ability, mods. Lay it on me!
I like them a lot. I own both a 2511t and a 201tcm...I climb with the 2511 about 95% of the time. Bar size is kinda dependent on region and saw mods. Mine's ported, gutted muffler, etc...basically everything you can do to them, so I run a 16" narrow-kerf bar on it. The added bar length allows me to run that saw for longer before I have to switch to a rear handle. The stock chain sucks, I'm a fan of the narrow-kerf 3/8lp chain...another option is 1/4 pitch, but that's the expensive option.

All that being said, the larger 35cc pro-grade top handles have their place...especially if you're doing removals on large hardwoods. Unless you port the 2511, I see it complementing something like the 201 rather than replacing it. Before I ported it, I'd usually climb with the 201 on larger broad trees. Even now that are both ported, the 201 is just a more forgiving saw to run. You can dog it into a log, push on it hard, and not be flirting with stalling out the chain like the 2511.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like them a lot. I own both a 2511t and a 201tcm...I climb with the 2511 about 95% of the time. Bar size is kinda dependent on region and saw mods. Mine's ported, gutted muffler, etc...basically everything you can do to them, so I run a 16" narrow-kerf bar on it. The added bar length allows me to run that saw for longer before I have to switch to a rear handle. The stock chain sucks, I'm a fan of the narrow-kerf 3/8lp chain...another option is 1/4 pitch, but that's the expensive option.

All that being said, the larger 35cc pro-grade top handles have their place...especially if you're doing removals on large hardwoods. Unless you port the 2511, I see it complementing something like the 201 rather than replacing it. Before I ported it, I'd usually climb with the 201 on larger broad trees. Even now that are both ported, the 201 is just a more forgiving saw to run. You can dog it into a log, push on it hard, and not be flirting with stalling out the chain like the 2511.
Thanks for the detailed response! Our climber and the rest of us do a ton of work with our 201's. They're all stock with 16" bars and seem to get it done. I have a pile of them in my basement I need to go through for the boss. The m-tronic units like to pinch the wires in the handles. And the handles themselves crack. I've modified 3 of them by stiffening the av mounts substantially. Our climber loves the change, and his can absolutely NOT pinch the harness anymore. Initially I was afraid the stiffening would cause kick back and fatigue, but he says he has to do less work now and I don't feel any fatigue running one on the ground all day. Other than the handles, they seem pretty stout. But the price and weight is what had me looking elsewhere.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I have both the top handle and rear entry version. Both ported. One by @Mastermind and one by @Red97 and I really like them a lot! They will easily handle 12” balls deep in hard wood😉. I will say the plastic around the muffler is kinda fragile for a knuckle dragging hammer donkey like me. Be prepared to learn how to weld plastic and maybe have one on hand if you swing around a lot. Parts are pretty cheap. Other than that super reliable and oils the bar well.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have both the top handle and rear entry version. Both ported. One by @Mastermind and one by @Red97 and I really like them a lot! They will easily handle 12” balls deep in hard wood😉. I will say the plastic around the muffler is kinda fragile for a knuckle dragging hammer donkey like me. Be prepared to learn how to weld plastic and maybe have one on hand if you swing around a lot. Parts are pretty cheap. Other than that super reliable and oils the bar well.
Sounds sick! Where you located @Woodpecker ?

Sierra_rider

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the detailed response! Our climber and the rest of us do a ton of work with our 201's. They're all stock with 16" bars and seem to get it done. I have a pile of them in my basement I need to go through for the boss. The m-tronic units like to pinch the wires in the handles. And the handles themselves crack. I've modified 3 of them by stiffening the av mounts substantially. Our climber loves the change, and his can absolutely NOT pinch the harness anymore. Initially I was afraid the stiffening would cause kick back and fatigue, but he says he has to do less work now and I don't feel any fatigue running one on the ground all day. Other than the handles, they seem pretty stout. But the price and weight is what had me looking elsewhere.
Just a heads up, the stock 2511t just isn't going to have the same torque as a stock 201. Gutting the muffler and opening up the deflector makes a big difference, but it's still not a 201t. However, if you have a 2511 ported...it can be a replacement for a 201. The 2511 responds really well to porting, mine runs nothing like a stock 2511. On the same token, the 201 responds well to porting as well.

I guess if I had to have only one climbing saw, it'd be a ported 2511. If they weren't ported and I could only do a muffler mod, the 201t would likely be my 1 climbing saw plan. In my own situation, I need to have 2 climbing saws...just to have a back up. In my scenario, the 2511 and 201 compliment each other well.

If I ever have issues with my 201, I'll have to remember this. I don't really climb that much anymore and even then, I usually run the 2511, so my 201 is still pretty low hours...no problems on it yet. On the 2511, my clutch cover is starting to crack/fall apart, but it's still serviceable. The on/off switch is starting to get pretty worn too. It's feeling pretty loose and doesn't always shut the saw off. Other than those minor issues, it seems like a pretty solid little saw. They are pretty plasticy, but Echo parts are pretty cheap compared to Stihl.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
4:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ported 2511t is the gold standard climbing saw now. I prune and remove with mine 4 days a week. 201t feels like a cinderblock with a handle after using a 2511t.

But it’s not a ground saw. Neither is 201t. Get yourself a rear handle if you’re grounding.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ported 2511t is the gold standard climbing saw now. I prune and remove with mine 4 days a week. 201t feels like a cinderblock with a handle after using a 2511t.

But it’s not a ground saw. Neither is 201t. Get yourself a rear handle if you’re grounding.
Whenever the 201 isn't enough, I grab the 500. Pretty big gap, I know...

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whenever the 201 isn't enough, I grab the 500. Pretty big gap, I know...
It’s not like you won’t ever use a top handle on the ground, but it’s good to build a habit of grabbing a rear handle. They’re safer and it keeps your climbing saws sharper. Our standard ground saw is a 261. Something a little lighter would be nice for relief cuts and brush management, but 50cc is perfect for breaking down large limbs and felling small trees.

My main concern with top handles on the ground is how frequently I end up doing one handed cuts. I’m all about one handed cuts in the right application, but there’s a lot of times where I’m just being lazy and overly casual. That said, 2511t is better balanced and easier to control one handed. Probably safer on the ground as well as in the tree.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
It’s not like you won’t ever use a top handle on the ground, but it’s good to build a habit of grabbing a rear handle. They’re safer and it keeps your climbing saws sharper. Our standard ground saw is a 261. Something a little lighter would be nice for relief cuts and brush management, but 50cc is perfect for breaking down large limbs and felling small trees.

My main concern with top handles on the ground is how frequently I end up doing one handed cuts. I’m all about one handed cuts in the right application, but there’s a lot of times where I’m just being lazy and overly casual. That said, 2511t is better balanced and easier to control one handed. Probably safer on the ground as well as in the tree.
That’s why I bought the rear handle version of the 2511. It’s too easy to be lazy and I’ve been "bit" in the past one handing on the ground.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Maybe I should have my boss read this. He doesn't want to spend money adding to the fleet. I don't feel good one handing 201's. I rarely do. And frankly, it actually hurts my back more bucking and limbing what's on the ground with the 201's, versus even the 500i. I've been telling him we have a decent gap that needs to be filled. That's why, for myself, it'll be a top handle, the 026, and a 461. I feel that leaves no gaps until stumping monster oaks or milling.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with you wholeheartedly. Maybe I should have my boss read this. He doesn't want to spend money adding to the fleet. I don't feel good one handing 201's. I rarely do. And frankly, it actually hurts my back more bucking and limbing what's on the ground with the 201's, versus even the 500i. I've been telling him we have a decent gap that needs to be filled. That's why, for myself, it'll be a top handle, the 026, and a 461. I feel that leaves no gaps until stumping monster oaks or milling.
Tell him to get you a ported 2511t and a 201 rear handle and mod the muffler.
I have a stock 2511t and an ms200t, also an ms200 and 201 rear handle, a guys gotta be prepared.
In a yr I climb less than what most the guys commenting in here would in two days, but in the time I'm up there I have no problem justifying those two saws; I see no reason a guy who climbs on a normal basis/or the boss of one who does shouldn't have exactly what the you/climber wants. What's a little over a grand when you can easily make that in a day just on the climbing portion of a job.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tell him to get you a ported 2511t and a 201 rear handle and mod the muffler.
I have a stock 2511t and an ms200t, also an ms200 and 201 rear handle, a guys gotta be prepared.
In a yr I climb less than what most the guys commenting in here would in two days, but in the time I'm up there I have no problem justifying those two saws; I see no reason a guy who climbs on a normal basis/or the boss of one who does shouldn't have exactly what the you/climber wants. What's a little over a grand when you can easily make that in a day just on the climbing portion of a job.
I'm not climbing for anyone yet. Tuesday I will receive the shipment of gear I ordered from TreeStuff. And then, the journey will begin. My boss is a good guy but he's cheap, and it's obvious he'd just as soon keep me in my diapers. All of this, the saws, tree work, climbing... It's all brand new. I'm quite humbled to it all. But I'm eager. Anyway, I like what you're saying, but in his defense, his climber loves the 201, and frankly isn't mechanical at all. In fact, he may not even be aware of the 2511t. But I'll give him a test drive with it if I go that route.

Sierra_rider

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Tell him to quit being so cheap lol. As @Ketchup already mentioned, processing limbs on the ground is 50cc saw territory. He's actually wasting money when you think of it...I'm pretty sure a 261 is actually less money than a 201tcm, yet he's wearing out expensive climbing saws on the ground.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not climbing for anyone yet. Tuesday I will receive the shipment of gear I ordered from TreeStuff. And then, the journey will begin. My boss is a good guy but he's cheap, and it's obvious he'd just as soon keep me in my diapers. All of this, the saws, tree work, climbing... It's all brand new. I'm quite humbled to it all. But I'm eager. Anyway, I like what you're saying, but in his defense, his climber loves the 201, and frankly isn't mechanical at all. In fact, he may not even be aware of the 2511t. But I'll give him a test drive with it if I go that route.
There’s your angle. Put a 2511 in the climbers hands. He’ll either get it or he’s hopeless. The boss usually goes for what the climbers want.

Keep your diaper on. You may crap your pants in the near future.

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@NateSaw

Who do you work for?

I run my 2511 with a stihl carving bar and 1/4 .050 chain. Not a fan of the panther chain. I bought one of the Egan performance pipes for mine. Have not used enough yet to have a solid opinion on the pipe.

Last edited: