High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Dogging in vs self feeding - Tooth length too! The truth of it.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I've never owned any husky saws apparently randoms on the internet told me so lol

3120xp in this pic on the other side of the truck.
downloadfile-3.jpeg20170224_014022.jpg

Last edited:

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I've never owned any husky saws apparently randoms on the internet told me so lol

3120xp in this pic on the other side of the truck.
View attachment 429398View attachment 429399
Thats a clean 090… and with a chain brake!! Started on that saw but no brake no work so the 084 had to replace it. Yep replaced it but didnt fill the boots🤣👍

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats a clean 090… and with a chain brake!! Started on that saw but no brake no work so the 084 had to replace it. Yep replaced it but didnt fill the boots🤣👍
090's never came with a functioning chain brake it's more a guard stop ya hand slipping forward into the chain is about it maybe?.
My dad was saying when he was a hardwood faller running the older 090's it was pouring rain one day.. And his hand slipped off the handle bar and he put his finger straight into the spinning chain. It took a nice deep .404 RS gouge straight down his fingernail. Was the only time he's ever been cut by a chainsaw.

Last edited:

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Next time I see my dad I'll tell him the internet's said Stihl pro saws are rubbish they can't even pull 3/8 chain they are useless aprently lol

For those interested bit of history...
Yes he likes Stihl pro saws. And yep I can hear the tears flowing already 😄
He's never owned a Stihl saw under 90cc if it can't pull .404 chain in Aussie hardwoods he doesn't want anything to do with it.
He reckons the 066/Aussie ms660 and ms661 are ok for little saws lol.. Although he's not that keen on the ms661 with the solenoids failing getting gutless/flooding and crap but reckons the two very high hr ones he has will see him out.

He's an old school Aussie hardwood cutter/logger... Started out young cutting firewood with clapped out 2nd hand chainsaws like Danarm with scratcher chain lol...then moved onto buzzsaws cutting firewood and cordwood for the hospital boilers.
Eventually became a cutter for the big hardwood sawmills back in the day running 090's.. He still reckons they are the best chainsaw Stihl ever made loved his 090's..
Got his 1st sleeper order from the QLD railway for 1000 sleepers and ripped them out with an 090 and filled that order.
Then he upgraded and built a buzzsaw running a Holden 6 cylinder red motor to speed up cutting sleepers. I remember hanging of the beast as a teenager we cut thousands of sleepers with it.
From there a portable sawmill with braking down and a bench..
Eventual worked up to owning a half decent hardwood sawmill we cut hundreds of thousands of sleepers and bridge timbers for the railways over the years.
Anyways fast forward he retired a multi millionaire all the time running stock pro Stihl saws who would ever believe it that's impossible according to the internet's lol

And this is him today mid 70's still going strong. And yep the smallest saw he owns is still 90cc. Hard to believe really when even 20year olds nowadays will try and have you believe a ms661 is to heavy to run all day 😆..
This vid is him a week or two ago. Even though he is retired and doesn't need to work he's still doing his split firewood to sell seems he can't go a day in his life without running a chainsaw...
Personally I reckon if someone can't make a living running pro saws from any of the major brands it's not something I'd be going around telling anyone kind of embarrassing really If you ask me but what I know lol

He's firewood
20191110_101651.jpg
20191110_101821.jpg

Dad with his 1st buzzsaw pic taken before I was born I'm 51.
20220916_115704.jpg

Heres some railway sleepers we used to cut.
1 (6).jpg5 (2).jpg

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Next time I see my dad I'll tell him the internet's said Stihl pro saws are rubbish they can't even pull 3/8 chain they are useless aprently lol

He's never owned a Stihl saw under 90cc if it can't pull .404 chain in Aussie hardwoods he doesn't want anything to do with it.
He reckons the 066/Aussie ms660 and ms661 are ok for little saws lol.. Although he's not that keen on the ms661 with the solenoids failing getting gutless/flooding and crap but reckons the two very high hr ones he has will see him out.

He's an old school Aussie hardwood cutter/logger... Started out young cutting firewood with clapped out 2nd hand chainsaws like Danarm with scratcher chain lol...then moved onto buzzsaws cutting firewood and cordwood for the hospital boilers.
Eventually became a cutter for the big hardwood sawmills back in the day running 090's.. He still reckons they are the best chainsaw Stihl ever made loved his 090's..
Got his 1st sleeper order from the QLD railway for 1000 sleepers and ripped them out with an 090 and filled that order.
Then he upgraded and built a buzzsaw running a Holden 6 cylinder red motor to speed up cutting sleepers. I remember hanging of the beast as a teenager we cut thousands of sleepers with it.
Eventual worked up to owning a half decent hardwood sawmill we cut hundreds of thousands of sleepers and bridge timbers for the railways over the years.
Anyways fast forward he retired a multi millionaire all the time running stock pro Stihl saws who would ever believe it that's impossible according to the internet's lol

And this is him today mid 70's still going strong. And yep the smallest saw he owns is still 90cc. Hard to believe really when even 20year olds nowadays will try and have you believe a ms661 is to heavy to run all day 😆..
This vid is him a week or two ago. Even though he is retired and doesn't need to work he's still doing his split firewood to sell seems he can't go a day in his life without running a chainsaw...
Personally I reckon if someone can't make a living running pro saws from any of the major brands it's not something I'd be going around telling anyone kind of embarrassing really If you ask me but what I know lol

He's firewood
View attachment 429735
View attachment 429736

View attachment 429740

View attachment 429737View attachment 429739

Great story about ur dad and his success and pics , tell him never stop doing it , we’re that 090 , Lol 😆 👍, He ever run SP125’s ?

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great story about ur dad and his success and pics , tell him never stop doing it , we’re that 090 , Lol 😆 👍, He ever run SP125’s ?
Not sure if his ever owned a SP125 I'll ask him. He did tell me he brought a new McCulloch way back in the day I'm not sure what model it was. Said it ran good but he couldn't get it started one day so he chopped it up with an axe! Yeah he had bit of a temper when he was young 😆

Squish9

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

He's firewood
View attachment 429735
View attachment 429736

View attachment 429740

I never got the chance to run a 070 or 090 but I agree with him on the 90cc stuff. A few years of running a 880 3 to 4 days a week and a 660 feels like a dam good balance of power and size. 20 or 25inch hard nose bar, good air filter setup and good oil output, They are really well suit to hardwood cutting here.

Its not my favourite saw to run but it's hard to argue they are a good setup.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
8:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

He's firewood
View attachment 429735
View attachment 429736

View attachment 429740

Very cool.

When he took those contracts to mill the railway timbers, who owned the timber?

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very cool.

When he took those contracts to mill the railway timbers, who owned the timber?
Private property sheep and cattle graziers pay em royalty by the cubic meter, buy all their good Ironbark and Spotted Gum and Box mill logs.
Back at the start we'd set up a camp and cut the sleepers on their property and when done move to the next. I look back at them days fondly no internet or mobile phones camped out in the bush middle of nowhere, boiling a copper for a bath at the end of a long day's work was good times sitting around a camp fire..
As we got bigger and better gear say from 2000 ish on (not that we were a big sawmill employed about 8 men) we started buying in quota logs on top of our logging side.
The last 10 years or so we used to have around 300k set aside always just for buying quota logs from reputable logging outfits.. yeah a load logs delivered not cheap, but cutting for the railways paid big bucks we were lucky I guess.
Sawmills cutting boards struggled around here so much work for stuff all they all closed years ago. It's the timber buyers (you guy's call it lumber) that make the money offering the mills a pittance and selling it on for triple what they paid out of their timber yards in the city's.
Oh yeah it's a 4x2 not a 2x4 you guys have it all backwards 😆

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Private property sheep and cattle graziers pay em royalty by the cubic meter, buy all their good Ironbark and Spotted Gum and Box mill logs.
Back at the start we'd set up a camp and cut the sleepers on their property and when done move to the next. I look back at them days fondly no internet or mobile phones camped out in the bush middle of nowhere, boiling a copper for a bath at the end of a long day's work was good times sitting around a camp fire..
As we got bigger and better gear say from 2000 ish on (not that we were a big sawmill employed about 8 men) we started buying in quota logs on top of our logging side.
The last 10 years or so we used to have around 300k set aside always just for buying quota logs from reputable logging outfits.. yeah a load logs delivered not cheap, but cutting for the railways paid big bucks we were lucky I guess.
Sawmills cutting boards struggled around here so much work for stuff all they all closed years ago. It's the timber buyers (you guy's call it lumber) that make the money offering the mills a pittance and selling it on for triple what they paid out of their timber yards in the city's.
Oh yeah it's a 4x2 not a 2x4 you guys have it all backwards 😆

So what would your favorite all round chain and cutter style to use cutting Aussie wood be , if you had to pick one . ?

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what would your favorite all round chain and cutter style to use cutting Aussie wood be , if you had to pick one . ?
Ya gonna get me in trouble someone will get all upset I didn't say their favourite chain lol
Oh well here goes..it's not quite that simple but if I had to pick one personally in a working environment I'd go with Stihl RS .404 and yeah it can handle a bit of dirty wood or sand in the bark and crap on snigged logs or termite chit that's brutal on chains if dry.. But Stihl changed their .404 RS few years ago now its still good chain but if you can find the older chain without those oil dimples on the drive links that's the real good stuff and it was much harder to file I've only got a few loops of it left. I better add always 10 degrees down with the file.
Last time I looked few years ago Stihl RS .404 was like $950 100 foot roll at my steal dealer yeah not cheap. Luckily I've got enough chain left to see me out I don't hang off saws all day for work anymore.

Now for farting about at home and cutting firewood that's completely different I'll use anything semi or chisel and any brand if it's a good price. But is one name brand I stay away from is just to soft the edge is gone in no time to the point it's ridiculous I've tried it here and there over the years and have never liked it personally. Yeah nah not saying what brand chain it is it'll start ww3 but it's not Oregon lol but then it might perform perfectly fine in softer timbers idk..
Once you get good at filing or should I say master it? like most you guys have and know all the in and outs of what chain needs to perform you can get any chain cutting acceptable.
It's only really the hardness of chain that can be a let down the softer it is the faster it dulls no getting away from that. I don't think I've ever run out of adjustment with chain stretch never came across chain that bad personally.
Anyways that's just my 2c on what I do and what I find works for me.
Now I'm older and living a slower more relaxed life not under the pump 24/7 I really enjoy tinkering with chains modding them trying all kinds of different things, but I'm still lacking somewhat making a fast softwood chain I find my hardwood chains are to aggressive in softwood like Radarder? which kind of spins me out lol.. Although my square filed chains do perform better than my round filed in radarder.. Oh well it's all part of it never stop learning..

Last edited:

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya gonna get me in trouble someone will get all upset I didn't say their favourite chain lol
Oh well here goes..it's not quite that simple but if I had to pick one personally in a working environment I'd go with Stihl RS .404 and yeah it can handle a bit of dirty wood or sand in the bark and crap on snigged logs or termite chit that's brutal on chains if dry.. But Stihl changed their .404 RS few years ago now its still good chain but if you can find the older chain without those oil dimples on the drive links that's the real good stuff and it was much harder to file I've only got a few loops of it left.
Last time I looked few years ago Stihl RS .404 was like $950 100 foot roll at my steal dealer yeah not cheap. Luckily I've got enough chain left to see me out I don't hang off saws all day for work anymore.

Now for farting about at home and cutting firewood that's completely different I'll use anything semi or chisel and any brand if it's a good price. But is one name brand I stay away from is just to soft the edge is gone in no time to the point it's ridiculous I've tried it here and there over the years and have never liked it personally. Yeah nah not saying what brand chain it is it'll start ww3 but it's not Oregon lol but then it might perform perfectly fine in softer timbers idk..
Once you get good at filing or should I say master it? like most you guys have and know all the in and outs of what chain needs to perform you can get any chain cutting acceptable.
It's only really the hardness of chain that can be a let down the softer it is the faster it dulls no getting away from that. I don't think I've ever run out of adjustment with chain stretch never came across chain that bad personally.
Anyways that's just my 2c on what I do and what I find works for me.
Now I'm older and living a slower more relaxed life not under the pump 24/7 I really enjoy tinkering with chains modding them trying all kinds of different things, but I'm still lacking somewhat making a fast softwood chain I find my hardwood chains are to aggressive in softwood like Radarder? which kind of spins me out lol.. Although my square filed chains do perform better than my round filed in radarder.. Oh well it's all part of it never stop learning..
Thanks ,👍 Just got this stuff NOS , funny you mention it, IMG_3439.jpeg

mainer_in_ak

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks ,👍 Just got this stuff NOS , funny you mention it, View attachment 429774
That's the good stuff. The new stihl .404, occasionally I'll snap a drivelink made of bubble gum......

20240411-170530.jpg

Rogue60,
Wow your dad sounds like a hoot! I like him! My father is very much the same, I can't get him to slow down. Now in his mid 60's its my hope he'll sell off most of his heavy equipment company and come up here and run a gold mine for his retirement.

OK back to cuttin.

Hand that old man a pav ported 1201! He'd be grinning from ear to ear......

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's the good stuff. The new stihl .404, occasionally I'll snap a drivelink made of bubble gum......

20240411-170530.jpg

Rogue60,
Wow your dad sounds like a hoot! I like him! My father is very much the same, I can't get him to slow down. Now in his mid 60's its my hope he'll sell off most of his heavy equipment company and come up here and run a gold mine for his retirement.

OK back to cuttin.

Hand that old man a pav ported 1201! He'd be grinning from ear to ear......

1201, 👍

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
090's never came with a functioning chain brake it's more a guard stop ya hand slipping forward into the chain is about it maybe?.
My dad was saying when he was a hardwood faller running the older 090's it was pouring rain one day.. And his hand slipped off the handle bar and he put his finger straight into the spinning chain. It took a nice deep .404 RS gouge straight down his fingernail. Was the only time he's ever been cut by a chainsaw.
Thanks, yes was pretty sure they didn’t well here at least!

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

He's firewood
View attachment 429735
View attachment 429736

View attachment 429740

Understand exactly his thoughts👌 Credit to him, old school💪 and its so true cc wise, i’d love another 090 just to sit and look at!!🤣 Danarms i have a 98 & 128 but they be far later than the models he used, but cool old saws regardless, and yep can cut wood even today with them… for fun🤣
Nice photos and video to have, treasure, and take more, I know most of our older generation, i’ll say respectably bushy’s, dont like to or feel they are worthy of this but ask if he may, sit dad down and record or better still video his life for those of us at the least whom appreciate such history. I just lost my pop whom i worked with in the little bush mill, sad to loose that knowledge those old tales and not hear his saw or tractor fire up, let alone the sound of his axe. Shake ya dads hand with love pride and gratefulness from me at the least. May he continue to cut that wood 👍