High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Dogging in vs self feeding - Tooth length too! The truth of it.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Different part of Oz, cutting for different reasons and most of the stuff I cut was dry or pushed over with a dozer so completely different use.

This has been my go to

View attachment 429797
Yeah use whatever works for the job at hand is not such thing as one shoe fits all.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oregon semi chisel is inferior in my exp. Slow unless filed to a hook and then dulls fast.
Even with a big/wide C, not a narrow C like most factory chains, and little hook?

Have you tried decreasing the angle of the cutter? If you were filing @25*, maybe 20 or 15* instead?

Wilhelm

I'm here for the sick'n twisted company
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
11:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got a great deal on this beauty. The guy said it's a pro saw and if I eat 6 wheetbix it has 15HP!

View attachment 429859
Needs the P&C swapped to "090", a 6 shoe clutch, the governor tweaked, muffler modded and rakers set!
Other than that You got a good looking 090G there.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
5:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the best self feeding chain is the one you put hours behind slinging chips. I don't think there's 1 magic bullet chain for all conditions, you have to be handy with a file to get results. Period.
So far with beatle out breaks ,tornadoes, and hurricane floods just this year I have really enjoyed the C83 and x-cut chains goofy filed ,but they dull quicker in Sand embedded bark and wood or fat lighter stumps.
Trigger time is a great teacher, whether it's firewood or felling ,getting that time behind the handle nets the biggest dividends.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
4:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the best self feeding chain is the one you put hours behind slinging chips. I don't think there's 1 magic bullet chain for all conditions, you have to be handy with a file to get results. Period.

Trigger time is a great teacher, whether it's firewood or felling ,getting that time behind the handle nets the biggest dividends.
This. You either learn what works, and what doesn’t, or get frustrated trying. Myself, I learned and adapted.

Wilhelm

I'm here for the sick'n twisted company
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
11:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a grinder! :rolleyes:

But it worked only at the second try, first one was just too cheap.

I haven't filed chains in a while, but before I got the Maxx grinder the Archer FastFiler roller guides were a game changer for me, my chains, my cutting performance, my filing.
I even made my own rollers.
I have them in all available pitches, and I even started making my own .404" adaptation (which kinda got set back on pause with the purchase of the Maxx grinder).

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If ya sharpening is lacking it doesn't matter what saws ya own you will never get the best out of em.. It's like owning a muscle car with bald tyres yeah sure it's still drivable but absolutely useless! a honda civic will pull away from ya 😆

Squareground3691

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If ya sharpening is lacking it doesn't matter what saws ya own you will never get the best out of em.. It's like owning a muscle car with bald tyres yeah sure it's still drivable but absolutely useless! a honda civic will pull away from ya 😆
To many saws go to a early grave, because of running dull chains,

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
not unlike having the latest Toywhatever Landuser with all the bling fruit, big mud tyres, lockers, lifted… and an old 1942’ jeep drives around you when you hit the dirt! I’m hearing ya! Better to be able to wheel it than point it😉👍