High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

Chain differences

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
5:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I meant Woodland Pro, not Windsor... Mental slip on my part.... I have no idea who makes Woodland Pro but I like it out of the box better than most...

That's really odd, as WP is Carlton - and Carlton is well known for being dull "out of the box"...........:pancarta:

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's really odd, as WP is Carlton - and Carlton is well known for being dull "out of the box"...........:pancarta:
I wont say Carlton is perfect coming out of the box as I have found some cutter angles that were not the same and depth rakers that were taller/shorter than others, but I've seen this on all brands.

RonL

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These discussions make my point. One person praises a chain, the next condemns the same chain.

I picked chain for its' features (non "safety" primarily) and went with it.

If everyone universally praises something or condemns it, it points toward something. If there is mixed reaction on the web, then maybe you have to make your own analysis.

RonL

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
11:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think all new chain sucks so I'm a little biased. Windsor made some good chain. I may have a new loop left somewhere.

HighSierras

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The last few loops of WP semi-chisel I bought were surprisingly good out of the box. Sharp and consistent. I agree that it's hit or miss with any brand, though. Even Stihl chain, which I generally find excellent, needs some work sometimes to get it cutting right when new.

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think all new chain sucks so I'm a little biased. Windsor made some good chain. I may have a new loop left somewhere.

For my use, I don't agree that all loops sucks - but usually the cutters need to be touched up (more than that on some), and the rakers need to be set where I want them (usually at .030 = "soft" on the Husky raker guides).

The proper raker setting will of course vary with the wood.

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The last few loops of WP semi-chisel I bought were surprisingly good out of the box. Sharp and consistent. I agree that it's hit or miss with any brand, though. Even Stihl chain, which I generally find excellent, needs some work sometimes to get it cutting right when new.

*s-word happens with any brand, but maybe not equally often.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
10:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I wonder if the US spec Woodland Pro is held to a higher quality control standard than bulk Carlton is? In any case, it's the only chin which I've accidentally cut myself on while removing it from the package (more than once)... Now in Ash or Hackberry, take the rakers down and it flat flys. I like the cutter profile on Carlton but most of the loops I've had were soft and didn't hold an edge that well. I was also cutting wood in which I should have been using semi-chisel in but the Stihl loops that I switched too seemed to get better mileage on those outings.