6:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Personally I run in this order:
1. Windsor
2. Stihl
3. Oregon
4. Carlton

I have different makes of .o5o-3/8, .063-3/8, .050-.325, .043-3/8lp for my different saws and when I can I run Windsor (which I think is a division of Blount Indsutries/Oregon).

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
1:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
1. Windsor
2. Stihl
3. Oregon
4. Carlton

I have different makes of .o5o-3/8, .063-3/8, .050-.325, .043-3/8lp for my different saws and when I can I run Windsor (which I think is a division of Blount Indsutries/Oregon).
It is - and I thought Windsor chains were discontinued a while ago (they do sell rebranded Oregon as Windsor in parts of Europe, I believe)?

Carlton also is owned by Blount, as is KOX in Europe.....

skip sail

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
i might get howled down,but I've started using the chinese "hurricane" chain.
Its a Stihl copy,and looks virtually identical,but instead of a genuine Stihl full chisel costing me $42 australian out here,I get 3 chians for $50
I honestly cant tell the difference,apart from the scribed angle mark on the top being a little harder to see .
A more experienced buddy of mine,who is a chainsaw instructor , also switched over,and reckons its pretty close,but maybe stretches a bit more to begin with.
Anyway,at that price,and with our chainwrecking eucalypts,I'm happy with it.

RonL

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there a quality control issue with saw chain? I see some people say a particular model of chain is the best and someone else says it is the worst. How can one person say a particular chain is excellent and then someone else say it is terrible?

In 3/8" chain I use Oregon LGX. I find that it sharpens well and cuts fast.

RonL

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
7:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there a quality control issue with saw chain? I see some people say a particular model of chain is the best and someone else says it is the worst. How can one person say a particular chain is excellent and then someone else say it is terrible?

RonL
Sometimes there is. Had some stihl chain that was horrible on one side. Shaun got a roll that wasn't sharpened on one side. Seen angles vary on the same roll and raker heights all over the place.

HighSierras

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score

RonL

Some manufacturers have several factories, as well. While one factory might be making excellent chain, another could be making a really mediocre one, and both chains are branded the same.

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

RonL

It surely does happen, and it doesn't seem to be brand specific.

The most common issue is raker heights that are off, and this needs to be checked on every new loop, regardless of brand.
This is usually a relatively easy issue to fix (they usually are too high) - but much worse issues does appear now and then.

Last edited:

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Some manufacturers have several factories, as well. While one factory might be making excellent chain, another could be making a really mediocre one, and both chains are branded the same.

Yes, make sure the Oregon chain you buy is made in North America, and not in Brazil or China.

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Anyone that have used LPX chain will have done that - it is just an Oregon marketing expression...

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
But that last chain add isn't x grind.

View attachment 14443

That looks like something else, but then it isn't from an Oregon website.. The "lingo" on that website is a bit unusual, and on some points inaccurate.

It is unclear to me if the chain actually are square ground, or if they just are suggesting it is suitable for square filing?

Last edited:

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
1. Windsor
2. Stihl
3. Oregon
4. Carlton

I have different makes of .o5o-3/8, .063-3/8, .050-.325, .043-3/8lp for my different saws and when I can I run Windsor (which I think is a division of Blount Industries/Oregon).

As far as I know, true Windsor chain has been history for a while (except that Windsor branded Oregon are sold on some markets)?

Last edited:

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks like something else, but then it isn't from an Oregon website.. The "lingo" on that website is a bit unusual, and on some points inaccurate.

It is unclear to me if the chain actually are square ground, or if they just are suggesting it is suitable for square filing?
is why I posted it, never seen this on 325, but then, I am not updated at all on last chain options we have.

Edit, it look like they provide us with square 325, read through their homepage a bit

Last edited:

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
As far as I know, true Windsor chain has been history for a while (except that Windsor branded Oregon are sold on some markets)?
I meant Woodland Pro, not Windsor... Mental slip on my part.... I have no idea who makes Woodland Pro but I like it out of the box better than most...

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I meant Woodland Pro, not Windsor... Mental slip on my part.... I have no idea who makes Woodland Pro but I like it out of the box better than most...
That would be Carlton and I get along well with it, too.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carlton is a big tooth, somewhat durable, dependable, no frills cutter..
If I weren't such a chain geek, it's all I'd buy..
Got a half dozen loops of 84 dl from Cobey and use it like a rented mule..
Works fine, and it's freaking cheap.