Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
5:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome job on both the dyno and the saw, very impressive!

However, the auditor in me has to ask a question. Why is 8.18 below the 8 line on the graph, and likewise 7.2 below the 7 line? Shouldn't they both be a bit above those marks??? Seems like the graph is not perfectly mated to the grid.

Your dyno is awesome not for just showing the peak power of the saw, but also for showing the broadness of the power curve. Very important (IMO) for both work saws and for milling.

I sure wish you lived closer, lots of things I'd like to test! (Various saws, various air filters, various mufflers, etc).

The graphs aren't perfectly mated.

My grid is every 100 rpm and some it skips. The graphs are every 250 rpm. Tried to match it close.

Over those 2 runs it picked 1800, and 2700 data samples.

I am working on getting the actual software's to do the graphs.

Even the printer to actually print the grid in order would be super helpful.

People were wanting to see an actual graph, so I tried my best to match it up with the data points.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey, it is great stuff, I was just trained for 30 yrs to notice stupid little things … SORRY!!!

I would love to put some saws on that thing!
I think we would all love to test a bunch of saws! Would love to test my kart Mac, and several different mods. Would be a lot of fun, and work

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
4:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
VERY nice!

Love to see what some electric saws would do. All of the warning labels on chaps mention the 'constant torque' of electric motors. Some of the big STIHL electrics run 3/8 chain, but most run 3/8 low profile.

Philbert
Electric saws are direct drive and with out a clutch to get loaded up and slip is what makes electric saws more dangerous to chaps.

Last edited:

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The graphs aren't perfectly mated.

My grid is every 100 rpm and some it skips. The graphs are every 250 rpm. Tried to match it close.

Over those 2 runs it picked 1800, and 2700 data samples.

I am working on getting the actual software's to do the graphs.

Even the printer to actually print the grid in order would be super helpful.

People were wanting to see an actual graph, so I tried my best to match it up with the data points.

It seems you are working with an older Land & Sea dyno and hardware. How old is it? Does it have an auto loading valve or are you having to manually adjust the load valve on the brake?

Also, what are you using to plot? The semi 3D graphs make it hard to read.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It seems you are working with an older Land & Sea dyno and hardware. How old is it? Does it have an auto loading valve or are you having to manually adjust the load valve on the brake?

Also, what are you using to plot? The semi 3D graphs make it hard to read.

Late 90's model. Called them to talk about software, they confirmed late 90'early 00's.

Manual load valve. May look into an auto load valve. But a few dyno guys I've talked too say it is probably more of a pain/expense than it is worth for saws.

Was very surprised how smooth it did load.

Just an online chart site that was suggested. Tried a couple others but couldn't fugue the data input.

If this software works it will all be done for me. Nice smooth graphs and all.

Curious how the thermal printer will work too. Might make it a lot easier to look at a chart of numbers than the video too.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Late 90's model. Called them to talk about software, they confirmed late 90'early 00's.

Manual load valve. May look into an auto load valve. But a few dyno guys I've talked too say it is probably more of a pain/expense than it is worth for saws.

Was very surprised how smooth it did load.

Just an online chart site that was suggested. Tried a couple others but couldn't fugue the data input.

If this software works it will all be done for me. Nice smooth graphs and all.

Curious how the thermal printer will work too. Might make it a lot easier to look at a chart of numbers than the video too.

I've heard auto loading valves can be a pain with 2-stroke engines, lots of tuning involved in the control software to get them to behave.

So does it have an export to computer for the data, probably via serial cable?

Do you have Microsoft Excel? If not OpenOffice is freeware that can make some decent XY scatter plots. This way you have digital data so you can easily make comparison graphs.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've heard auto loading valves can be a pain with 2-stroke engines, lots of tuning involved in the control software to get them to behave.

So does it have an export to computer for the data, probably via serial cable?

Do you have Microsoft Excel? If not OpenOffice is freeware that can make some decent XY scatter plots. This way you have digital data so you can easily make comparison graphs.

That was what I heard about the auto valves as well.

20200506_135733.jpg

Yes has a serial port, this captures and converts all the data, and sends it to the software.

The unit only had 10 hours on it when i got it.

Land-and-sea was actually very helpful with answering my questions.

Hope I can get the software to work, otherwise it will be data printer and I'll have to learn excel.

Maybe down the rd I'll be able to swing the 1k software...

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Electric saws are direct drive and with out a clutch to get loaded up and slip is what makes electric saws more dangerous to chaps.
Some of the better ones have clutches, cut outs, or will just blow a circuit breaker! Some electric tools reportedly have special circuits to maintain torque under load. But the warnings use the term 'torque' (see STIHL's below). Also, I like electric saws! So I would be interested to see how a torque to motor speed curve looks, compared to a gas saw. Wish I had one to submit for testing!

Philbert

"WARNING FOR CORDED ELECTRIC AND BATTERY CHAINSAW USERS! The fibers may not stop the sprocket on most corded electric chainsaws and some battery-powered chainsaws because of the constant high torque. However, to reduce the severity of injury from accidental contact with the chain, STIHL recommends that leg protection be worn when operating these types of chainsaws."

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
. . . Maybe down the rd I'll be able to swing the 1k software...
Is the software a lifetime licence?
Otherwise it's too expensive.

Maybe if interested parties donate a couple $ to help fund the software You could purchase it without blowing Your budget.
10-20$ per donation would accumulate with enough donors. :)

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the software a lifetime licence?
Otherwise it's too expensive.

Maybe if interested parties donate a couple $ to help fund the software You could purchase it without blowing Your budget.
10-20$ per donation would accumulate with enough donors. :)

I want to say it is lifetime.

Not going to do the waffle/donation.
For new software.

Already have a very generous man sending a copy of his old software. Which may or may not work. Be he Has already been a tremendous help setting this whole deal up.

20200506_133929.jpg

Sounds like once I get this hooked up it will provide a printout of more data then the video shows.

Hhhmmmm suddenly I smell waffles:roto2nuse:

Not this time.

These saws are selling well. Have 4 to build next week.

Imagine once I get the dyno operating 100% It can be self sufficient. Hopefully

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I want to say it is lifetime.

Not going to do the waffle/donation.
For new software.

Already have a very generous man sending a copy of his old software. Which may or may not work. Be he Has already been a tremendous help setting this whole deal up.

View attachment 239747

Sounds like once I get this hooked up it will provide a printout of more data then the video shows.

Not this time.

These saws are selling well. Have 4 to build next week.

Imagine once I get the dyno operating 100% It can be self sufficient. Hopefully

Outstanding! You have no idea how big the smile on my face is reading this Joe! Stoked for ya bud

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd port it....
Screenshot_20200508-135956.jpg

On a different note, if anyone is good at excel, or Google and could find a template I could input numbers into. I would greatly appreciate that.

Or even a video etc.

Thank you

Off to run some saws.