Another chainsaw dyno...

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From my limited knowledge about auto engines, and from having a Brother who is and Professional Engineer, I can tell you there is a big difference in designing an engine to withstand high torque (like a diesel motor) and an engine designed to withstand high RPMs, like a high performance car engine.

Trying to convert one to the other is not a simple task. Simply put, you need the right material and design for the task.

Case in point: Crankshafts for everyday car engines are made from nodular iron. Crankshafts for race car motors are made from steel.

Steel is stronger and will stay together at higher RPMs, if it is properly balanced.

Nodular iron will absorb more vibrations w/o failing, so it is a better choice for everyday auto engines which are not precisely balanced.

If you put a steel crank in most autos, it would fail prematurely because it can not handle the vibrations that would result from not being precisely balanced.

My Mustang is running a steel crank because it was purchased as a balanced set (Eagle crank, rods and pistons).

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From my limited knowledge about auto engines, and from having a Brother who is and Professional Engineer, I can tell you there is a big difference in designing an engine to withstand high torque (like a diesel motor) and an engine designed to withstand high RPMs, like a high performance car engine.

Trying to convert one to the other is not a simple task. Simply put, you need the right material and design for the task.

Case in point: Crankshafts for everyday car engines are made from nodular iron. Crankshafts for race car motors are made from steel.

Steel is stronger and will stay together at higher RPMs, if it is properly balanced.

Nodular iron will absorb more vibrations w/o failing, so it is a better choice for everyday auto engines which are not precisely balanced.

If you put a steel crank in most autos, it would fail prematurely because it can not handle the vibrations that would result from not being precisely balanced.

My Mustang is running a steel crank because it was purchased as a balanced set (Eagle crank, rods and pistons).
It this case it’s mostly about the rod, and rod bolts of the old saws. I don’t believe any modern saw has rod bolts? Even in the auto world rod bolts are the killer for rpm. The old Mac’s can turn rpm with good bolts, but the standard bolts, would be questionable at a certain rpm! Four strokes brake rod bolts on the exhaust stroke, so a 2t would probably break bolts with low compression and low timing, more of a tuning thing. Idk just spitballing

rod bolts feel less stress at tdc under load

NightRogue

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I will 2nd this post
That ported 090 that made 12hp made my fingers go numb for days, balance factor on this cranks are designed with the rpm range it'll be working. Push them further you'll run into all kinds of comfort and reliability issues, the newer ones arent so bad. The old ones with heavy bob weight and stuff are brutal in terms of vibe when you try to make them spin more

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A cummins 5.9 doesn’t like high rpms but it is over built. A Duramax is light enough to spin up to 8,000 rpms for a diesel.

It takes significant work for either mill to exceed 5k rpms without achieving destructive torsional harmonic resonance.

Last edited:

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It would be cool to see what a carb and intake swap would do on a ported saw. For instance, stock 372 intake vs one with a 390 carb and boot. Not limiting to that model, just an example.

Last edited: