jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
6:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not sure if this would be true or not in the old saws, but the bottom ends might not be up to the task of turning a bunch more rpm without coming unglued.

Definitely in some of the McCulloch motors, if a guy is going to turn them up, they may need different connecting rods and big end bearings, in some cases even connecting rod bolts.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
9:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely in some of the McCulloch motors, if a guy is going to turn them up, they may need different connecting rods and big end bearings, in some cases even connecting rod bolts.
Yeah the snapped connecting rods? Not sure they'd like 13,000 rpm.
Some seem like they were over built though ,like the thrust crank bearings in the old Lombards or just the shear amount of metal making the crank on a Remington bantam type saw.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well sir. TY. How bout you? Just flew down to FL and drove back up with my son. Home for the holidays. Then I'm driving back to FL and flying home after Christmas. Long haul.

Good here. Ready for Christmas. Well, as ready as possible. How many hours from Florida?

NightRogue

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess that depends on what you mean by "Without sacrificing the torque?"...

Sure you can get more hp by doing the typical things like enlarging the exhaust/intake tract, stiffer reeds, port timing etc. But..
Basically, hp is gained by moving the peak torque up in the rpm range and the physics of these engines seem to dictate that the higher the rpm that this occurs, the narrower/pointier the torque curve (and thus the 'power band') gets.

It's always going to be a balancing act and the art/science/magic in 'porting' is in achieving the most of each in the right proportion for the platform/application.

High torque at high rpm is what gives that "self feeding" effect, these old school locomotives will need big chain and long bars to let them run at their designated rpm. I doubt you can squeeze much out from their port layout, they're simply not gonna spin that much rpm