Another chainsaw dyno...

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Something as simple as a clogged vs. clean air filter on the dyno would be cool. Maybe compare to muffler mod gains in percentage. “Sharpen your chain and clean your air filter for a dirt cheap bump in performance “

Another could be stale gas, fresh gas, canned gas compared on the dyno.
Maybe even better, run a performance filter like redbeards vs stock on a cs590 clean and dirty. I would buy the filter.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there a way to try and get more HP out of these older saws that lug? Without sacraficing the torque? Be cool to see a Mac 125 or Dolmar 166 on the Dyno!

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there a way to try and get more HP out of these older saws that lug? Without sacraficing the torque?

I guess that depends on what you mean by "Without sacrificing the torque?"...

Sure you can get more hp by doing the typical things like enlarging the exhaust/intake tract, stiffer reeds, port timing etc. But..
Basically, hp is gained by moving the peak torque up in the rpm range and the physics of these engines seem to dictate that the higher the rpm that this occurs, the narrower/pointier the torque curve (and thus the 'power band') gets.

It's always going to be a balancing act and the art/science/magic in 'porting' is in achieving the most of each in the right proportion for the platform/application.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
6:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there a way to try and get more HP out of these older saws that lug? Without sacraficing the torque? Be cool to see a Mac 125 or Dolmar 166 on the Dyno!

I'm working on getting Joe a 125 to play with - I just need to make sure I got one that starts easily enough.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We put my 166 on it early on, I believe. Seems it was 8.5hp. Or maybe I crs

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
8:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not sure if this would be true or not in the old saws, but the bottom ends might not be up to the task of turning a bunch more rpm without coming unglued.