Another chainsaw dyno...

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
7:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
592 already has somewhat of a muffler mod. Hollow can with a good sized exit. The screen is the only real restriction. I’m gonna guess it’s going to be tough for porters to get gains. At least not without compromising factory stock reliability. Seems like it’s a winner out of the box. Time will tell.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was really surprised that the 395xp didn't lead the pack, but as others have said simple gains are readily achieved by most , muffler mod ect..
Out of the box that 592 is impressive, makes me wonder about the 585?
Its kinda like the ProMac 10-10 out of the box , all kinds of people look for that magic recipe to improve on the great design with "porting " but at the time they were awsome as is.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wondered that because in the wood the 661s I have used are noticeablely down on power against a 395 .
I personally have not experienced that, the 395 has great low end, which likely plays a part. That said the early 661's had all numerous problems, I mean a handful had the intake boot nearly 100% blocked by those silly rubber washers. What I'm saying some saws are runners some not so much, I've seen huge differences. The 346 was bad that way, some were almost unusable, others ran almost like they were ported.[emoji111]

Rogee

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I personally have not experienced that, the 395 has great low end, which likely plays a part. That said the early 661's had all numerous problems, I mean a handful had the intake boot nearly 100% blocked by those silly rubber washers. What I'm saying some saws are runners some not so much, I've seen huge differences. The 346 was bad that way, some were almost unusable, others ran almost like they were ported.[emoji111]
That's interesting. I do know of a guy that had 8 661s destroy themselves when they first came out so they certainly had their issues . Maybe I need to use a "good" one for a bit.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's interesting. I do know of a guy that had 8 661s destroy themselves when they first came out so they certainly had their issues . Maybe I need to use a "good" one for a bit.
Lol, yeah the early ones were a mess, not quite as bad as the 550xp or 562xp, but close enough. Those saws were similar in, the ones that ran right were pretty wicked, maybe too much so.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Feels a bit rushed Joe. That said, thank you for going through all the trouble to make these videos.

It is rushed, lol my 5yo is helping me in the shop this week.

Just throwing stuff at the wall looking to see what sticks.

I'll try and settle into a style soon.

Anyone catch the little Easter egg (out of place edit) I hid in the first half?

Just seeing if those things are noticed or not.

I really appreciate all the feedback from you all.

Forums, pictures and words have been all I do for the last 5-9 years. This film stuff is all new. But I kind of like it.

jk14

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Closer to 2 min... how does everyone feel about That?

Until I get into some actual porting, not sure if much needs said?

I like where you going. I think you're closing in on the sweet spot.

I feel this one was maybe just a touch rushed/short. I definitely like seeing the actual dyno runs. Maybe take another 30 seconds or so at the end with the power curves? I had to back it up a couple times and pause it to try and decipher.

Overall though excellent work. I applaud all the time and effort you've put into your operation. Thank you for sharing the results as well.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't think it was too rushed other than spend a little more time and analysis on the dyno results. I did notice the rims changing as they were spinning watching the first time around, not sure if that's what you were talking about, but couldn't find anything odd when looking back again.

Why don't you use the clutch covers? Seems like it could save on some oil mess?

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is rushed, lol my 5yo is helping me in the shop this week.

Just throwing stuff at the wall looking to see what sticks.

I'll try and settle into a style soon.

Anyone catch the little Easter egg (out of place edit) I hid in the first half?

Just seeing if those things are noticed or not.

I really appreciate all the feedback from you all.

Forums, pictures and words have been all I do for the last 5-9 years. This film stuff is all new. But I kind of like it.
I do videos of my collection of saws cutting, but don't say much because the saws are saying more then I can describe how they cut.
I like the numbers and graphs that you show but realize how different a peice of machinery can handle .

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like where you going. I think you're closing in on the sweet spot.

I feel this one was maybe just a touch rushed/short. I definitely like seeing the actual dyno runs. Maybe take another 30 seconds or so at the end with the power curves? I had to back it up a couple times and pause it to try and decipher.

Overall though excellent work. I applaud all the time and effort you've put into your operation. Thank you for sharing the results as well.

Thank you, I am glad you are enjoying the videos, and thank you for taking time to give some feedback.

I did have a nice 25-35 second "talk" about the graphs. But that was at the exact moment my 5yo was hollering from the office for me to come look at the video he made on his tablet... I had to scrap that segment of the video lol.

Also trying to play the YouTube game... I realize us die hard fans really want to know the info, but sadly this one is only getting 60% viewer retention.

Great video!

I would love to have my ported 254s dyno'd. Would be interesting to see how they stack up to a stock one, and to newer 50-60cc saws.

Thank you. Might have to try that sometime. New vs old can be fun.

I'd love to see ported 357 vs. 359, by the same builder. :D

Know where to find any?

Really any ported saw comparison should be from the same builder. Eliminates a lot of the variables that these guys hate… :deal:

Lol
See below ¡¡¡

Nonsense... embrace the variables!

Something like that. I figure the best would be to have the saws from builders that really do them well

So far my 661 do better than my 395s. But my 395 are not up to the task of yours etc.

I didn't think it was too rushed other than spend a little more time and analysis on the dyno results. I did notice the rims changing as they were spinning watching the first time around, not sure if that's what you were talking about, but couldn't find anything odd when looking back again.

Why don't you use the clutch covers? Seems like it could save on some oil mess?

Yeh, that was it, spinning the rims. Something to catch the eye/thoughts

Just easier to mount, some covers with the adjuster don't fit well without having to move my Set up. Normally I drain the oil and just let the residual pump out
No real force in the rail. That little bit of lube goes a long way. I forgot to drain the homie, and the can was directly behind the chain.

I do videos of my collection of saws cutting, but don't say much because the saws are saying more then I can describe how they cut.
I like the numbers and graphs that you show but realize how different a peice of machinery can handle .

I want to say out of the thoughts and feels. I don't use a saw/ cut much. I just want to make and show power, and weights.

Let the buyer make the decision on feel/comfort. Once they are bolted down they are all just a trigger and valve.

I may buy a few cants/logs and do some testing/time cuts... just to test how well the videos go over on youtube.

Surprisingly, chainsaw people have this wild habit of wanting to see a chainsaw cut wood....

I guess I just see them as an engine. As a builder I find it odd, " let me put your engine in my race car" to see how fast it runs.