pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder if they thought WTF? back then like we do now
you know the designers were sitting around smokin dope and said hay man i got cool idea for a couple of car designs. he then drew the pacer, smoked another joint started laughing said oh man lets flatten it out..... lol

nixon

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
you know the designers were sitting around smokin dope and said hay man i got cool idea for a couple of car designs. he then drew the pacer, smoked another joint started laughing said oh man lets flatten it out..... lol
After AM came out with the Marlin ,and sold it to folks , I guess they thought they could sell the public anything …

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the plating actually gone, or just uneven enough that the rings polished the high spots?

Reactions: Lnk

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine just polished the high spots. It runs real strong, so I'm not worried about it. The cylinder in the picture looks like crap. Almost like someone used a grinding wheel to remove transfer.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pppfffttt..
How about the Cadillac XLR..
The car that wanted to be a Corvette, but had the same engine as the Deville, a super complicated mechanical folding roof and weird angular body lines..

And I did a ton of timing belts, oil coolers and head gaskets on the Catera back in the day.
Saab 9-5 v6... Same engine with a turbo strapped to it. Tons of tbelts, coolers,headgaskets, turbos. Turd!

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the Hyway pistons. The cylinders are garbage. The plating is worst part. FT is producing a new line of PRO saws that utilize Hyway cylinders and it is a complete disaster.

Really? I was wondering what hocus pocus was involved with their claim of using an "Italy" cylinder. That's hardly an upgrade. The FT jugs look crude but are better than the Hyway stuff. Funny thing about the Hyway kits is they look great coming out of the box, but have useless squish, and the plating fails quick. Especially if you touch any part of it with a grinder.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really? I was wondering what hocus pocus was involved with their claim of using an "Italy" cylinder. That's hardly an upgrade. The FT jugs look crude but are better than the Hyway stuff. Funny thing about the Hyway kits is they look great coming out of the box, but have useless squish, and the plating fails quick. Especially if you touch any part of it with a grinder.
I remember several years ago Hyway introduced an actual closed port top end for the 357XP. I had several 359 carcasses and was excited to use them.

My excitement disappeared when the plating peeled off in sheets.

To this day I refuse to use any aftermarket cylinders.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember several years ago Hyway introduced an actual closed port top end for the 357XP. I had several 359 carcasses and was excited to use them.

No way you guys doing high end port work can waste your time with those things. You can get the dimensions perfect, but what's the point if the materials are no good? Be like an artist doing a sketch in disappearing ink.

I use AM pistons when an OEM jug cleans up nice. Have played with some p&c kits for myself, but never sent one out with a customer. I know there's plenty of happy endings to go along with the bad ones, but I didn't want to be on the hook for the warranty.

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

What about the mmws cross performance cylinders? 😬

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I had a similar result with those hyway 357 design but 359 bore cylinders. They ran great for 10-20 tanks but I had three peel the plating off the top of the exhaust port and loose all compression.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
4:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried 4 times to to put a big bore (49mm) p&c on the FT361. Every one was junk...even the FT, which had an oval shaped defective cylinder. So bad in fact the piston could not even be removed from the cylinder right from the factory. Wtf???

The others had really sloppy piston pin bores...
The last one I could peel the cylinder plating off just by picking at it with my fingernail.

Almost scared to pull the FT cylinder that came with the saw kit. It has maybe ten tanks through it. Ran purdy good till a clutch spring broke....but after that's fixed for how much longer?

Meh.
5acr49.jpg