Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
9:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well…

Got burned using a Hyway jug on an 028S. The original jug had some scoring, and the saw was a homeowner saw who only cut a few cords a year.

I cleaned up the band on the lathe, cut base for squish, widened exhaust, raised transfers and did my best to fix the horrendous intake port. Plating looked good, used the hyway piston.

Saw was run for 2 tanks and wasn’t making power. Found this:

4D607444-72EE-43BA-AAFC-902790C5A76C.jpeg AE9A3E6F-8FE9-471F-A371-F6427E433A7D.jpeg EAC3B1D3-D27B-4E7D-86D4-2187212FC54A.jpeg

Top of plating worn through, even using good oil. No piston damage.

Think I woulda learned by now. I put the jug and piston back where they belonged and used an oem P&C.

EDB0D616-80EB-4C8D-9E8B-11419D1FCFE8.jpeg

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't trust their plating. May be why they went with that Titanium Nickel new one.

As per others here, the regular old plating chips as well. The new plating is supposed to be even worse.

Unsure why they didnt put more R&D into improving the type of Nikasil that the oem have been successful with for years instead of creating a new one.

Last edited:

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This AM stuff is such a sad state of affair, it gets so many peoples hopes up that its a good alternative to original parts but so much of it isn`t worth the time wasted trying to make it work properly or just work at all.

Intoxsawcated

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cheap, cheap $30 Hutzl 390 topend. Makes 125 psi. Also came with a ding in the cylinder with a burr. Put it on a junky frankensaw to play with.
65b5aa2da8c202a39e0953c94318eaa1.jpg

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
that's crappy. i have used one meteor p/c i didnt clean up any of the casting flaws or change it in any way. it works pretty good but am sure it would be better if i ground on it. i also dont use that saw very much. i have been thinking for some time now i should just clean up the oem jug and use it instead

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well…

Got burned using a Hyway jug on an 028S. The original jug had some scoring, and the saw was a homeowner saw who only cut a few cords a year.

I cleaned up the band on the lathe, cut base for squish, widened exhaust, raised transfers and did my best to fix the horrendous intake port. Plating looked good, used the hyway piston.

View attachment 332612 View attachment 332613 View attachment 332614

Think I woulda learned by now. I put the jug and piston back where they belonged and used an oem P&C.

View attachment 332615
Do you think the bore is undersized up there? Like maybe they were honing the aluminum before plating and due to not being able to hone all the way through in a blind cylinder, it left that area small?

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
8:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It has been said here many times before, but I will say it again…Hyway = garbage. I hate to say it, but if all I had to pick from was AM jugs, I would pick the FT over Hyway…haven’t run anything else. Thankfully I have only worked on saws where OEM is still available.

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you think the bore is undersized up there? Like maybe they were honing the aluminum before plating and due to not being able to hone all the way through in a blind cylinder, it left that area small?
I see that being a good possibility. Binding up high.

Unrelated-NWP is the only AM jug I’ve seen worth a *s-word. The cheap cheap ones are laughably bad. Transfers in damn near ever AM cylinder are awful and are most important imo.

Last edited:

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I bet it's oversized there. I've seen AM cylinders like this where the hone hasn't touched the last 3/4" of bore and its left as rough plating. Due to the nature of plating a blind bore the end of the anode deposits slower than the rest of the bore. So if the bath concentration is low, the bath time is too short or if the original bore was too large you'll get an unhoned bore near the squish band.

So it basically comes down to cheap manufacturing, with loose tolerances and a just ship it attitude.

gurwald

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think for aftermarket FT is the best choise, you pay a low price for a low quality product, with the rest you pay almost OEM prices but still get the same low quality product with some sprinkles on top. :nusenuse:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think for aftermarket FT is the best choice, you pay a low price for a low quality product, with the rest you pay almost OEM prices but still get the same low quality product with some sprinkles on top. :nusenuse:
Good point. Lots of parts these days used by the OEM are imported from Asia. Every year the USA or Europe make fewer and fewer parts. It's too expensive and minimum wages keep going up. 'Nuff said.

MinnesotaJon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do meteor cylinders fall into this category too. I have only used one on a 575 it only has 5-6 tanks through it but hasn’t let go yet. Is failure likely on it then?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess I've been pretty lucky.

I've built 5 660s with Cross Cylinders and none have failed. I still own two of them (both with Cross pistons), I have done a lot of milling with the un-ported one, and my ported one dynoed at 8.6 Hp. I sold another ported one (with a Meteor piston) to a local pro firewood guy. They use the crap out of it and love it. My un-ported one is the same one featured in the HL Supply website - youtube for the Cross P+Cs.

I believe my BB 660 has a Hyway jug and a Husky piston, and it still runs strong, and I have done some milling with it.

A few 460s and 440 big bores with NWP or FT jugs have gone to local homeowners w/o any issues with the P+C, but I always use Meteor or OEM pistons in them.

The AM jugs often need a lot of clean up work around the ports, and I would neve choose AM over OEM. I basically got most of the AM jugs to learn saw building and porting w/o ruining any OEM stuff, but some of it ran fairly well.

When people like Randy and Doc Al avoid AM jugs, you know they are a crap shoot.

I have procured used OEM jugs for 440, 460 and 660 saws, so I plan to use them for my future projects. The AM were fun to learn on, but ...

Last edited:

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well…

View attachment 332612 View attachment 332613 View attachment 332614

View attachment 332615
Ah, you could have put it in the recycling bin and least then it would go back to the manufacturer.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ah, you could have put it in the recycling bin and least then it would go back to the manufacturer.
What ruined the environment more? Not recycling the jug or creating a tree killing saw?

I guess Hyway is saving the world by making cylinders that won’t help saws cut trees down.