592XP info and a surprise

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Down here a Logger does it all he cuts for a day or half day then does the snigging back the dump with skidder/dozer then loads the truck then drives the truck with load back to the mill then unloads..Wakes next day and does it all again.
A Cutter just cuts and is paid by the cube. Gear/saws/chain/fuel and getting to work are his problem.
Full time firewood cutters around here are called Wood Adders.
Home owner firewood cutters are Weekend Warriors usually only takes em a full Saturday to cut one ute load of firewood with lots of smoke and fire off their chain and bar lol
Oh and an Arborists ya only call them if ya can't get a tree spear in on the underside and it's hanging over a shed or something yeah I'm not in the city...

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
395's was all they was in they was in the truck up until last fall. Now, I'm primarily running 24" in hardwood, do a fair amount of slick stumping so the 395 raw power shines when the weight of the tree is constantly trying to sit down on the b&c. 500i don't have 395 grunt but the power band is flat and torquey. For how much lighter it is than a 395 I have adjusted my technique to work with it. Having said that, a few months back I was able to put 2 tanks through one of these mystery saws. There was no decal on the recoil but was told it will replace the 395. I'll say this much, it ain't ever going to replace a 395 imo. 390 sure, but the 500i is already doing that at less weight
I consider the 395 a the last true 100cc class saw. Sure it's displacement is only a few cc's more than 90cc class saws but it's built bigger and more heavy duty. Sadly the 395 may be the last of its class as brands big saws are now 70-90cc. I'm gonna stash a new 395xp away before they disappear from the shelves. I'd love to see Stihl make something in the 100-110cc platform. Like the old 070, Contra, 076 etc but with todays tech. Big crank, bearings, huge clutch bar studs as thick as ya finger with a huge oil pump with manual override that would make a Greenie shiver. But I'm not holding my breath, no money to be made making saws like that.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
All the different opinions sure makes it hard to choose a saw for someone who hasn’t ran one yet and just reads along on here.... I guess the best option is to get out there cut wood and find out what works for you for what you are doing and your specific needs? Good thing there is a lot of choices in the saw world.
What one person says is junk, the other man says is king! Lol.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
5:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The west coast dawgs from both manufactures are at best good till about 60 maybe 80 year old timber. You start getting older that bark gets shaggy and custom dawgs are a necessity or in the fun of the Red Cedar that makes me itch even thinking about cutting it. Jamie on the heli side stuff were you in the old growth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the western red Cedar, Jerid. Makes you itch? I believe it's a natural poison. (Herbicide) Nothing grows under ancient old growth Cedar stands with a deep floor of needles, Just ferns.
So you are certainly not a fern or another flourishing species of the PNW. A bot? Because Loggers aren't flourishing in Washington..haha
Big gov there like BC.

Fir is my poison, like sitting down for too long, as in driving. If I had to drive for a living or cut big fir, then I would starve. I have spent more time on the deck coughing my guts out from that, than I have in 30 yrs cutting from anything else. I have never cut a lot of fir. Most everything, you are conditioned to block out the pain but how do you block that out? How do you block out §hit when your knees are so wet and stiff that you have no mobility anymore, man?
When you are good at threading the needle but find yourself milling around for 5 minutes because you can't nut up and pull the trigger in a 60ft gap with the consequences of a 40ft hemlock top comming back at you. You evaluate the sketchy ground over and over.
Well that says a lot about alot of things.
Dad always said.." Son! You get them with these and these and if you can't get them with those, then you get away with these".
You always need a back plan up my friend

I'd love to see some of the best commandos on this planet try that? I've quit in 5 hours In July on the central coast BC for going through too much wet salal. As they say in the boxing world. "Quit to fight another day"
I've never f♡ed 5 guys out of 100-$150.00 and seen them so happy. I finished my strip that morning but buddy has 2000ft of face so he leaves me 30ft at the top of his in the engineered ground. So I have to cliff climb on top of the boundary for all the snags. (And up and down so I didn't get to close to him)
Now that's when the ported 372 and the saftey pro dogs especially come in handy. Just roll your chain off and wrap it around the handlebar if it's a rocky climb. and grab a strand of salal or finger grip..if that's all you have. Make sure you step on your saw with your caulk boots on the way up then hold on and reach down and grab it.
On the top, there will be banks with plenty of salal to get you soaked up there.
I mostly cliff climb anyways, instead of finding a way around. Generally I may not drag my saw if I'm looking for a side left of side or right side plan but say you got a couple 5 ft cedars
leaning into the cliff and another one up 40ft then you have to get up there and find the lean to make a plan. or can you beat #2 over?

"And that's all I have to say about thAY-iT"
_______

The big dog thing you were saying? Oh, ok, that's probably why some climbers wear big gaffs eh? And I just thought they were gay? J/k

I would say Cedar leans in all directions (especially on flat ground) and not very uniform at times. Bigger dogs may not help either. If its defective and/or leaning in the direction of fall. Very bad with forward leaners from one side. (with Humboldt & wrap bar)

Lastly you asked me if I fell old growth on heli. Every time buddy and of the worst kind.
Cedar snags to hell. Actually there is never any signs left of old growth cutting or harvesting.
Word is, they have been cutting those areas close to the water for 150 yrs. Maybe they logged with A-frames ? They only get so big
close to the water on the hill unless they live on the bank then they feed better.
Not usually over 6ft but 7ft snags on the banks
Depends where you are. If you get 4-5 ft pipes then that's good steady chewin'.
I've cut for heli and conventional minutes apart. It's not always a water drop.
It's cheaper to drop it to an existing road and hire Loggers than heli if there is roads on that side, even if the water is close. If you are deep inland and it's not worth blasting more roads for a few veins of timber then yeah, I've cut big wood on the island. Dave told me in '79 when they started heli in BC, they were picking off 9-11 ft firs i
off the banks. Pard (Ken) got a 14 footer(Cedar)one summer in the bottom on heli. Not too long ago. Biggest I could find was an 8'. We are the same age and his Grandfather got killed on the hill and his Dad got killed on the hill also, In a slide in the early 80.He is truly one of the best big wood Fallers on the coast. He told me that himself..haha He did say he wasn't bragging, if that counts?
Ken got washed away in a river and plucked out by heli. So weak to grab on to save his own life.
The other story, he was cutting a good sized cedar standing off a small stump. So he gets pinched. He stands off and the saw gets free. It happens again. The third time he gets pissed off and forces though. Well its a sucker that he was standing on so he goes rolling down the hill and looks up and the tree decides to come too.
Last I seen him he said he quit the coast after two guys he broke in got killed in the same summer. I remember when I showed up in Tahsis on an old growth show. We go to the beach and have a few beer and he puts it on me like "Jamie it's good to see you again but what are you doing here.. you can get hurt out here and I don't want to see you get hurt.
I told him it was a bit negative but
he wasn't lying. That was some ground.
They put me in the cream the first day falling bar size Hemlock and Balsam just 'daylighting' to the new spur roads so they can be picked. Just undercut and back cut. Every tree just grew perfect and not a branch for 100-120 ft.
So I passed that with flying colours and went to the §hit for life..lol

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just curious. What is the difference between a Timba Cutter and a Logger?
Is one better or more knowledgeable than the other?
Loggers are addicted to coffee & bull §hit.
They work these long godly hours and all coreigate in a small camp room next to me.
Fallers fly back early and have hot soup and an hour nap by 3:30. Fallers can sleep through 45 minute fuel cycles of a big helicopter as they land on deck next to your open window but can't sleep next to a room full of Loggers jacking there jaws.

Oh what else? Fallers are the primadonas of the bush. They believe there is only one worthy job in the bush. They have there own crummy (bus) they make the most and have the most dangerous job. Need I say more? They wouldn't dare help there self to a Fallers beer out of the fridge. It's a pecking order. Why what religion are you?

Last edited:

~WBF

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There is always an element of truth to a joke.
In that post above yours it's more of an element of joke to the truth

Last edited:

DC1072

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey fellas not change the subject here on this thread but of course I live down here in South Carolina around the Charlotte area is there any good husky dealers down here that are reliable dealers smarter than me about saw and a reasonable price and don’t make up excuses. That we don’t regulate the prices on when you order parts .they know what they’re talking about. I could use a .Bob down here
Maybe that’s my calling to open up a small engine shop .

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey fellas not change the subject here on this thread but of course I live down here in South Carolina around the Charlotte area is there any good husky dealers down here that are reliable dealers smarter than me about saw and a reasonable price and don’t make up excuses. That we don’t regulate the prices on when you order parts .they know what they’re talking about. I could use a .Bob down here
Maybe that’s my calling to open up a small engine shop .
@redlight066

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Isn't Charlotte in North Carolina?

DC1072

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes it is. But I use it because everybody knows where Charlotte is I live in South Carolina in Rock Hill it’s about 20 minutes south of Charlotte

DC1072

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahhh. OK. I'm looking to move to Mint Hill area and areas around there. Beautiful country down that way.
Yes it is very nice down here getting a little hectic lotta work. And some crazy drivers a lot. Yes MIN Hill is not that far from me. I’ve been down here for about five years now I move from New Jersey