592XP info and a surprise

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
9:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Almost every new saw from the big 2 has limited high speed rpm by the use of a limited coil of sorts. It’s for durability, no load rpm beats on the bottom end. In the wood bar buried most saws will never reach the limit of there coil. Especially a large saw that is used for cutting big wood.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Almost every new saw from the big 2 has limited high speed rpm by the use of a limited coil of sorts. It’s for durability, no load rpm beats on the bottom end. In the wood bar buried most saws will never reach the limit of there coil. Especially a large saw that is used for cutting big wood.
Ah I see. Makes sense.
Makes you wonder why they didn’t just use a limited coil in the original 3120 instead of just eliminating the high jet.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ah I see. Makes sense.
Makes you wonder why they didn’t just use a limited coil in the original 3120 instead of just eliminating the high jet.
Just like some cars have a fuel limiter and some have a spark limiter. When you see a car stage at the drag strip and flames are coming out of the exhaust, that means the engine has a spark limiter. If you've ever driven a car that hits the rev limiter and then dies back a bit, then revs up again, etc. that is a fuel limiter and it won't let you "bang against the redline" so to speak. Most likely someone thought the 3120 would have a lot of issues if it could bang against the coil limiter rather than the fuel limit like it has now.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the wood bar buried most saws will never reach the limit of there coil.

I should mention this... I’m not talking the showboating cut style with no hand pressure on the handle, dull chain and the saw screaming. Usually done at a gtg cutting cookies. That’s not cutting wood. That just makes more dust. Lol

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
6:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rpm matters to me even on big saws. Much nicer running a 8 pin limbing with a 13,500 saw,Than 12,500 saw. Working in the woods, I fell, limb and buck with one saw. Wouldn't it be nice to have a big cc saw that was good at limbing? 500i comes to mind but who has money for one of those.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I should mention this... I’m not talking the showboating cut style with no hand pressure on the handle, dull chain and the saw screaming. Usually done at a gtg cutting cookies. That’s not cutting wood. That just makes more dust. Lol
Rocking the saw will kill the cut time as you're not only removing teeth from the wood, but you're also recutting some. So when cutting straight through you just adjust the downward pressure based in the engine load, push too hard and hear the engine load too much slightly lift and vice versa. This way cut time are repeatable, fast and accurate.[emoji111]

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rocking the saw will kill the cut time as you're not only removing teeth from the wood, but you're also recutting some. So when cutting straight through you just adjust the downward pressure based in the engine load, push too hard and hear the engine load too much slightly lift and vice versa. This way cut time are repeatable, fast and accurate.[emoji111]
Wasn’t referring at all to cut times, more so the type showing 12-13k on a tach in the wood but no hands on handlebar lol. I usually show both a non rocking technique like you mention and a rocking technique with the spikes in tests between saws to show a normal cut and one loaded a bit more. But cool, good advice for racing cut times for sure. I guess some people have difficulty pushing on a saw in some situations so they use the dawgs when making felling or difficult bucking cuts? I know I do in some situations. That’s another “technique” that’s required sometimes.

Last edited:

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
7:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sometimes when I’m cutting big stumps I slam the dogs in deep and pull with both hands on the rear handle. When I’m cutting cookies for best time, I don’t even let the powerhead touch the wood. Hopefully the 592 can do both well.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
EPA, cheaper to make, and one carb for both 3120xp and 3120K.
Disagree on the EPA, but it is probably cheaper with the one carb between models. My Challenger SRT8 with a six speed had a fuel cut instead of a spark limiter, definitely wasn't about price or EPA.