High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

592XP info and a surprise

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Just curious. What is the difference between a Timba Cutter and a Logger?
Is one better or more knowledgeable than the other?
Alright, I’ll bite. There’s a pretty distinct difference here, lol. We only cut trees. Loggers log. We are pretty much a completely separate operation, as we are pretty much all contractors or subs. Communication between the two are vital IMO, to make sure the unit is cut according to how they want to log it. Neither one is better than the other, lol. Cable logging, especially, is really an art. There’s a lot of stuff that’s not ABC stuff with both logging, and the falling.
There are a few “hybrid” guys who cut and log. Generally small operations.
Then there’s...truck drivers...:eek: JK. Plenty important to the whole operation.
Fallers tend to be a little more...independent, perhaps, lol.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright, I’ll bite. There’s a pretty distinct difference here, lol. We only cut trees. Loggers log. We are pretty much a completely separate operation, as we are pretty much all contractors or subs. Communication between the two are vital IMO, to make sure the unit is cut according to how they want to log it. Neither one is better than the other, lol. Cable logging, especially, is really an art. There’s a lot of stuff that’s not ABC stuff with both logging, and the falling.
There are a few “hybrid” guys who cut and log. Generally small operations.
Then there’s...truck drivers...:eek: JK. Plenty important to the whole operation.
Fallers tend to be a little more...independent, perhaps, lol.

Most of us “hybrid” guys are bushelers we don’t get paid till the loads are at the mill. Normally a faller or fallers is someone who has broken out of the rigging, sometimes they’re putting under the wing of an older guy to get broke in and most of them run nothing but saws with a few mechanical falling as well. If someone wants hazard trees removed or line trees you don’t call an arborist you find a logger who will normally direct you to a faller it’s a special breed of guys that are normally really good at what they do, but you normally don’t see a 65 year old cutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then there’s guys that run a saw like a pussy.... then come onto the forum to complain why it’s not running right. Well that’s because your not using it hard enough lol. These newer chip controlled saws aren’t made to sit by a chipper idling all day. Always extremes on either side of the spectrum I guess?

How many times am i allowed to "like" this post? :)

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
99°\• of my tree cutting/felling is directional, either with hinge or rope and pulley. My job just includes dangerous trees , broken , leaning, or too close for comfort for any one else to feel good about cutting or intimidatingly large.
So I'm a timber faller? None of the trees i cut go for sale though.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then there’s guys that run a saw like a pussy.... then come onto the forum to complain why it’s not running right. Well that’s because your not using it hard enough lol. These newer chip controlled saws aren’t made to sit by a chipper idling all day. Always extremes on either side of the spectrum I guess?
I use a Stihl chip saw that idles by the chipper so it will run right. Otherwise it is a pain to cold start each time. It just keeps dying unless it can idle a while.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Most of us “hybrid” guys are bushelers we don’t get paid till the loads are at the mill. Normally a faller or fallers is someone who has broken out of the rigging, sometimes they’re putting under the wing of an older guy to get broke in and most of them run nothing but saws with a few mechanical falling as well. If someone wants hazard trees removed or line trees you don’t call an arborist you find a logger who will normally direct you to a faller it’s a special breed of guys that are normally really good at what they do, but you normally don’t see a 65 year old cutter.

Not too often... but I work around a few 60+ year old cutters. Legends.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
99°\• of my tree cutting/felling is directional, either with hinge or rope and pulley. My job just includes dangerous trees , broken , leaning, or too close for comfort for any one else to feel good about cutting or intimidatingly large.
So I'm a timber faller? None of the trees i cut go for sale though.
By “west coast” standards, I’d say arborist, lol. But that is a highly skilled art as well.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed job descriptions guys. Does one pay more than the other? Does one require more skill than the other?
So interesting to hear the WC and EC versions of these job descriptions.

@Skeans1
@CLEARCUT
I would say that being a good faller requires a lot of skill, and it does generally pay better than logging. I am a contractor, so I don’t get any benefits or anything. If you work for a logging company, you will generally have some benefits. Generally lower pay with logging, but you get more hours. Fallers here generally work a 6 hour day, whereas logging is more. I think being a good logger requires a lot of skill as well, just different skills. A lot depends on what you are involved in with logging. I can assure you that owning or organizing a logging company takes some skill. Particularly dealing with people. Same with being a “Bullbuck”, and organizing the cutting. Everybody should work together to make things work well. I try to cut to help the loggers, because I want them to do well. Always learning how to do that. Sorry, another rabbit trail.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I like hearing about these jobs. I keep learning more from you guys.
Seems the big money here is in residential tree removal. But you need lots of equipment.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the detailed job descriptions guys. Does one pay more than the other? Does one require more skill than the other?
So interesting to hear the WC and EC versions of these job descriptions.

@Skeans1
@CLEARCUT

Depends on the day the best way to make the money is having everything in house to help keep your cost low. Myself I do all the cutting, bucking, most of the limbing, loading of the truck, and hauling myself yarding is the only task I have an employee for with a little limbing mixed in. As far as skills go they both come with their challenges the 6 hour days of hand falling are nice but if the wood isn’t big enough it’s hard to justify doing the job were as logging it mechanically you gain production. Being able to do both professions is an art all in its own right being able to see where they split between the two can be interesting and a challenge sometimes.