592XP info and a surprise

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I like hearing about these jobs. I keep learning more from you guys.
Seems the big money here is in residential tree removal. But you need lots of equipment.
Just a little. Good friend owns tree removal company. Only has, 90 foot high ranger, morbark self feed chipper, 10 yard dump truck, 3 stump grinders, kubota track skid steer with 6 attachments, cat 312, cat backhoe, 4-t540, 3-572, 395, 372, pole saws, blowers, sweeper, dump trailer, 30 ton trailer,goose neck trailer, climbing gear and crap load of other items.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are there any more terms for a person who cuts wood? I never knew there were so many. When people ask what I do I tell them I cut wood with a chainsaw to make money.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are there any more terms for a person who cuts wood? I never knew there were so many. When people ask what I do I tell them I cut wood with a chainsaw to make money.
You are a pro sawyer, pro cutter, pro faller. Then there is firewood hacks like me. No money involved, except spending it.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Yeah a gyppo, a timber tramp I’m sure there’s a few more from the old days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah a gyppo, a timber tramp I’m sure there’s a few more from the old days.

Cool, never gave it much thought before about the different names for cutting wood. I guess it’s different here. Just arborists/residential tree guys, firewooders, and loggers. Maybe we have less names for the same stuff? Keeps it simple.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool, never gave it much thought before about the different names for cutting wood. I guess it’s different here. Just arborists, firewooders, and loggers. Maybe we have less names for the same stuff? Keeps it simple.

Could be but not having the different types of logging around makes a different too. Take like a Bullbuck or a side rod or hook tender most of these name came from the cable sides, chasers or choker setters. How about the name juicers to describe hydraulic equipment vs the old cable shovels a lot of these terms all have a meaning and different ranking for a reason.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would say that being a good faller requires a lot of skill, and it does generally pay better than logging. I am a contractor, so I don’t get any benefits or anything. If you work for a logging company, you will generally have some benefits. Generally lower pay with logging, but you get more hours. Fallers here generally work a 6 hour day, whereas logging is more. I think being a good logger requires a lot of skill as well, just different skills. A lot depends on what you are involved in with logging. I can assure you that owning or organizing a logging company takes some skill. Particularly dealing with people. Same with being a “Bullbuck”, and organizing the cutting. Everybody should work together to make things work well. I try to cut to help the loggers, because I want them to do well. Always learning how to do that. Sorry, another rabbit trail.
Pretty sure I like you. As well as the way you think.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
C3595C97-545A-42CF-BCB7-849D1D6FAA6F.jpeg The brief time that I have had my own buncher has certainly helped me appreciate the hard work that goes into running a business like this. And I just focus on cutting. A friend of mine owns a logging company here with a yarder, and it seems like he has never-ending headaches. A lot of it is equipment related, but the drama with the crew is crazy.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We all have different opinions and needs and wants. As well as jobs. For me now I want the highest horsepower I can find. In the lightest saw that doesnt vibrate to bad. Im a husky.dude you guys know me. But I grabbed a 500i over a 572 because of the displacement. Love the 572 and design but I need more stump power. I would grab a ported 572 but im waiting on husky to see how they match the 500i. I wish they would make a 581. I wont try and convince either side to switch colors. If it works and is efficient keep it. To each his own, but I have a ported 390xp thats hard to catch. Good on fuel but probably the best production saw ive run. Of mine personally. Ill see how the 500i compares. But I like the weight. Age is definatley a factor as mentioned in us. Back when I was younger 56mag was the go too. Then 066. Not to long after we reached for every 046 we could and 288s. Some 044 and 372. But Stihl did capture the platform of top saw, and the 046-461 class imo. Now imo they really did it right in the 500i so far I see. I hope husky matches ot with like a 81 cc saw. Not a 585. If they go higher cool but to match that 046 crowd that frame is what they need 79-81cc and keep that weight down. My go to saws are the 046 platform and my 390. My 395 2101 and 3120 sit the most as I age and the saws get lighter and hp goes up. Big bucking and stumping the others are still very worthy. All just what works for me in my mixed applications

Local time
3:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
395's was all they was in they was in the truck up until last fall. Now, I'm primarily running 24" in hardwood, do a fair amount of slick stumping so the 395 raw power shines when the weight of the tree is constantly trying to sit down on the b&c. 500i don't have 395 grunt but the power band is flat and torquey. For how much lighter it is than a 395 I have adjusted my technique to work with it. Having said that, a few months back I was able to put 2 tanks through one of these mystery saws. There was no decal on the recoil but was told it will replace the 395. I'll say this much, it ain't ever going to replace a 395 imo. 390 sure, but the 500i is already doing that at less weight

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All the different opinions sure makes it hard to choose a saw for someone who hasn’t ran one yet and just reads along on here.... I guess the best option is to get out there cut wood and find out what works for you for what you are doing and your specific needs? Good thing there is a lot of choices in the saw world.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just cutting firewood to heat my home with red oak from my property, being on the downhill slide, my ported 372, mm572, mm550mkII will serve my needs. What I would like to see is a robot to remove brush from trees I am cutting into firewood, then be able to split, stack, the mess I just made for myself and rake area to give it that campground look.