High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

461 vs 460?

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Only if it is in my way ,there is a forest i need to have clearcut out back also behind the crush pile ,stupid cottonwoods grow like weeds out there .

Whats the going rate for a lb of busted koncrete in port angeles ?

I cant give it away in picksburgh.

skip sail

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
My dad bought the first 046 are dealor got in and I still have it,stock it was ok but not a huge difference over a 460,i ported it 10 years ago probably and it still is a good running saw but it like the other 460 I have hasn't been ran in years.

My 064 hybrid with a wrap weighs a couple ounces more than the 046 or 460 and will destroy one with any length bar.

Out of 30 loggers I know I can only think of one that ever uses a 70cc saw and it's a 461. In soft woods I can see its appeal with a long bar but they just don't get used here, the ones I have sold or ported all go or come from the forum.

in our horribly hard and dusty grey box and iron bark,i find the 461 bogging down a little when falling,particularly when making top cuts in the scarf.
Even with a brand new chain,its not as reliable in the cut as the 064,which is why i carry the 064 with me.
Bucking is fine,but when ripping down across fibres,as in making that top cut,i miss the torque of the larger saw.
Having said that,the 461 has had about 3 hrs run time in total,so im hoping it will wake up a bit,and once it settles in i will get a DP muffler on to it.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
9:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
in our horribly hard and dusty grey box and iron bark,i find the 461 bogging down a little when falling,particularly when making top cuts in the scarf.
Even with a brand new chain,its not as reliable in the cut as the 064,which is why i carry the 064 with me.
Bucking is fine,but when ripping down across fibres,as in making that top cut,i miss the torque of the larger saw.
Having said that,the 461 has had about 3 hrs run time in total,so im hoping it will wake up a bit,and once it settles in i will get a DP muffler on to it.
Falling hardwoods I want the most powerful saw I have

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jason, I will agree with that statement for most situations. However, a lot of the trees I'm asked to drop are "not right". Sometimes the bottoms are rotted out, sometimes they are just very irregular in shape. In those situations, if I have to reach to make my notch, I prefer a lighter saw. I have really appreciated having my 044 with the 28" light bar in several of those situations.

Also, the real savings with the bigger/faster saws is with the repetitive bucking and/or milling.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jason, I will agree with that statement for most situations. However, a lot of the trees I'm asked to drop are "not right". Sometimes the bottoms are rotted out, sometimes they are just very irregular in shape. In those situations, if I have to reach to make my notch, I prefer a lighter saw. I have really appreciated having my 044 with the 28" light bar in several of those situations.

Also, the real savings with the bigger/faster saws is with the repetitive bucking and/or milling.

While I completely understand what you mean, if it's sketchy, I like reaching with a 36" or a 42".

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
9:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Up until a couple years ago I cut timber and ported but now I just port,my back is shot and it got to where I couldn't anymore,I'll still go cut down every once in a while if a buddy needs a fill in man and when I do I run a 064 or 395,you get use to how a big saw cuts and it's very hard to use a smaller saw.

Jose A.S.T.S.

#DoingtheWork!!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm talking about lifting the whole saw up, the longer bar won't help with that!
In my experience though on sketch trees and reaching I like strong power, good long bar,making my cut no walking around crap its dangerous enough doing what we do and get out of Dodge.....imho.

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Reading all this makes me jealous. I wish I had trees around here to justify falling with a 461 or bigger saw... Lately my falling saw has been a Jred 2153 with a 16" bar. I have somewhere north of 450 eab killed ash trees on my property and I bet there's less than 20 of them that I couldn't flop with my 200t.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with that. When it comes to my safety, I'll do it now and deal with the pain tomorrow. Getting old sucks.

My Mom has a sign ... "Don't complain about getting old, not everyone gets the opportunity"

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Reading all this makes me jealous. I wish I had trees around here to justify falling with a 461 or bigger saw... Lately my falling saw has been a Jred 2153 with a 16" bar. I have somewhere north of 450 eab killed ash trees on my property and I bet there's less than 20 of them that I couldn't flop with my 200t.

I'm dreading the future, I really like Ash trees, and I've been seeing so many of them darn Emerald Ash Bores it makes me sick. I even killed 2 of them last week, and they are so fast I don't get more than one in 5 or 10 (but I got lucky and got two in a row a day apart).

My upstate property (50 Acres in the Catskills) is about 40% Ash. Not much death from the Bore yet, but I have seen a few of them up there. But Mother Nature's wind has been taking them down on a regular basis. My fear is they will never re grow, and they will be to my Grandchildren what the Chestnut is to us ... non existent! I'm thinking I may start storing the wood instead of burning it.