Echo 7310 vs Husky 572 vs Stihl 462

Woodsman

OPE Member
Local time
10:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been seaching around for a used 461, no luck. Stihl does not make the 461 anymore, like something else posted above I would have to look for a used one or new 462 or 500i. Do any of you have any personal experiences with the 461 vs 462 vs 500i? Have the 500i's held up to abuse the last 5 years or so? How do 500i's respond to porting?

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been seaching around for a used 461, no luck. Stihl does not make the 461 anymore, like something else posted above I would have to look for a used one or new 462 or 500i. Do any of you have any personal experiences with the 461 vs 462 vs 500i? Have the 500i's held up to abuse the last 5 years or so? How do 500i's respond to porting?
The answer is yes. Of course I’m a new technology guy. I would get the 500i and never look back. Used 460’s and 461’s pop up on here and the other site occasionally.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There’s folks with new in boxes , but to lure them out is another thing,💰💰

Last edited:

Woodsman

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My older Stihl was always stock. I've heard a Stihl with a Bark Box and it was LOUD! Too loud for me. My concern is hearing protection and hearing loss. I always wear double hearing protection (plugs and muffs). I have two parents who have severe hearing loss and I see how they struggle to hear the tv and hold conversations so I'd like to preserve my hearing the best I can...

What modifications can I make to the saw to improve the performance without increasing the noise level?

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My older Stihl was always stock. I've heard a Stihl with a Bark Box and it was LOUD! Too loud for me. My concern is hearing protection and hearing loss. I always wear double hearing protection (plugs and muffs). I have two parents who have severe hearing loss and I see how they struggle to hear the tv and hold conversations so I'd like to preserve my hearing the best I can...

What modifications can I make to the saw to improve the performance without increasing the noise level?
Decrease squish , maybe timing, you can duel port OEM muffler, without making it really loud, if you’re handy at brazing, some others , but sending it to one of our fine saw builders here would be the best advantage,

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Use hearing protection and don’t worry about the noise.

The newer designs are quieter with a more open exhaust because of some advanced in tech. They usually open toward the back so that there is more noise canceling. They also use internal baffles to twist the exhaust. The 462 muffler was too short for this, so they started the twist in the exhaust port itself.

The 462 vs 500i is a money thing. The 500i is much more powerful and not much heavier at all. The 500 uses much more fuel.

The issue here is reliability. You’re looking at over $1000 for a new saw, likely over $1300. I’d try to find a used 460 or 461 and have it redone fully by someone reputable. Have it ported at the same time. You’re probably looking at around 1000 all in, but you’ll have a saw with more power that will likely last you forever. You’ll also get a pretty good implied warranty here.

You’re looking for one saw to do it all for a very long time. I just think the new tech isn’t fully there yet. If it fails, it’s usually something simple, but you’re down your saw with no backup. An 044 or clean 440 might not be so bad either.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s a perfect example of what would have been good for you.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Post a want ad in the classifieds for a 046/460/461. Someone is bound to have one. Send it to one of the fine builders listed above. Or find a 462 with a regular carb.

2000ssm6

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You should be able to find a nice used one of any flavor here on the classifieds. Lots of guys collect vs use them or like to try saws from all the different builders. I could be talked out of a nib 440 for the right coin.

If looking for a used 462, be aware the early ones had piston issues. I want to say around 2020 build dates they were redesigned to the new style.

Last edited:

Woodsman

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never seen or heard a piped saw in person. How do piped saws (Bearclaw) sound compared to stock and also compared to the Bark Box? Are they much louder and how's the performance?

In the video below Buckin' Billy Ray Smith tests out two different pipes. It seems the last one performed the best...

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
7:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A builder on Facebook (not on this forum, who has an excellent reputation) tested a straight-shot muffler cover and found that it performed better than both of the pipes Buckin' Billy Ray tested.

So I wouldn't get too worked up about getting one of those "pipes".

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For total reliability and if you’re ok with a bit of wrenching, the Stihl 460/1 for the win here. Find a good one that’s gone through by someone who stands by their work and knows what they are doing.

Proven reliability that’s already exceeded the manufacturers claims. They were built in the days before defined obsolescence was not factored in as much as it is now.

You may burn a bit more fuel, but you’ll be happy. Use 32:1 and keep on the fatter side. Saw should last you forever. Quite a jump in power over your 039 as well.
What does this mean, sir? More oil in the mix than even 32:1 or a richer carb setting or something else? TIA

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A builder on Facebook (not on this forum, who has an excellent reputation) tested a straight-shot muffler cover and found that it performed better than both of the pipes Buckin' Billy Ray tested.

So I wouldn't get too worked up about getting one of those "pipes".

Bearclaw McPipes was Ted's old stripper name according to local folklore in Illinois.