Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
10:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just had the WIN (ignition switch) and “keys” (fobs) replaced on my ‘11. It has 200k on it. All together it was a GRAND$. When I get my ‘95 back this thing is sailing.
Where is your ‘95 now?

Reactions: Lnk

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
8:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lift pump doesn’t run.

Turned engine back and forth on the ring gear only moves 4-5 teeth. Starter clicks no turn. They usually just need solenoid contacts. Alum shavings in barring tool hole/plug and all over starter.

IMG_3111.jpegIMG_3116.jpeg

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My son just bought my grandpa truck’s grandpa. $3500, doesn’t run. “Lost power and died”.

View attachment 389181

Few years back I had grandmas version of that truck, I bought from a lady in her late 70's, she bought it new in 2001, it barely had over 100k on it.

I kept it for almost a full year, if it would of been a stick I would of kept it, I just don't like towing with a auto trans. It was a sweet running truck.

DSCN7736.JPG

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
10:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lift pump doesn’t run.

Turned engine back and forth on the ring gear only moves 4-5 teeth. Starter clicks no turn. They usually just need solenoid contacts. Alum shavings in barring tool hole/plug and all over starter.

View attachment 389216View attachment 389217
I put a FASS DRP on mine to replace the factory lift pump that failed. Been a great lift pump keeping input fuel pressure between 14-18psi feeding the injection pump.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1999 QCSB cummins auto trans, that I flipped back in 2021.

Local guy had it, dealer did not offer him squat on trade towards a new truck, so he sold it to me.

Leaking power steering lines, leaky auto trans lines, all fixed with new lines/hoses from parts store, nicer front bumper, and nicer headlights, several hours cleaning it, inside & out.

Back on Marketplace it went, lasted less than 1 hour before it was sold.

Before,

IMG_20210613_191011.jpg

After,

DSCN7703.JPG

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Beat to hell & back (ranch truck) 1998 12v 5spd I used to own.

Truck was rough as a corn cob, but it always popped right off and ran great.

It would've been the perfect one to make a mad max fury road tribute truck outta, I almost kept it and was going to put night-rider on the windshield and flat blacking it out completely and use it for beater / hauler, local guy wanted it the drive train for a F250 highboy swap, so I sold it.

DSCN8242.JPG

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My sons truck has me sentimental about 2nd gens.

I was a young teen when the body style came out. Never forget seeing the first ones on the lot. New and old school at the same time. I still don’t think the body style is dated.

My first veh ended up being a CJ7 that I built and in my early 20s I got a ‘98.5 (new style cab with rear doors) Xcab LB 4x4 12v auto CA emissions…lemon law buyback. Good factory warranty. PO must have just been a complainer. Had a lot of fun in that truck and unfortunately beat it up pretty good like I do everything. Sold it when we had our first kid. Buyers too it to Mexicali and had a cheap yellow paint job sprayed on it. Still see it around. Years later I came across a guy selling what ended up being my ‘95 in Bakersfield. It had been an auto dually. He converted it to SRW Dana 80, NV4500. Early days of diesel hotrodding, marine injectors (wrong angle for the piston bowls) big turbo, gutted AFC. 434 hp. Smoke out 4 lanes of freeway if you wanted. Would just keep making more power and boost and speed all the way up to redline in 5th. 4.10s and 37s then I went to 39” milsurp tires. 63” Chevy leaf springs on all 4 corners. Airbags in the rear. Rides good flexes good simple. Reliable. Leans in the corners.🤙🏻 hydraulic assist steering ram. Added limited slip in the rear and locker in the front which was kinda pointless as it flexed so well it hardly spun a tire anyway. Front would break Dana 60 stub shafts like candy canes. Blew a head gasket, redid with arp, blew again. 46 psi…Years later it started mixing oil into the water but not vice versa. Was losing power. Tore it down and it was shot. Parked it and built a Sweptline out of junk and saved my $. Scored ‘96 for like $3400 IIRC. Swapped the engine into the ‘95 but just warmed up a little. My buddy did it and traded hi all the leftovers. It’s Ok, but missed the power. One time cruising down a hill - this one :

I rolled in 4lo in gear with the clutch in down the last bit. Crunch. No go. Spun the friction material off the disc and packed it around the OD of the flywheel. One of my guys FIL has a friction co in Mexico, relined it. Didn’t work, too thick. Swears…do it again.

Broke the tailhousing of the tcase twice. Blew the driveline clear out of the truck dragging a burnt super duty out of the rocks in the mountains. Broke the Dana 80 1410 yoke and slashed the fuel tank open on its way. Recovered a lot of scrap vehs over the years. IMG_6159.jpegIMG_5449.jpegIMG_7371.jpegIMG_5033.jpegIMG_8275.jpeg

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m sure there are more stories I’m forgetting. My rotator cuffs started giving me trouble so I decided to go auto. Traded my NV to a guy for a supposedly built auto. We were moving so I took it to my buddy again. Turned out trans was junk. He built it. Was also and electronic instead of hydraulic, didn’t jive with my truck (originally hydraulic) so went Manual valve body with it. It’s been like 4 years and it’s almost done…. :-/

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jeepers from the city used to tell me I couldn’t follow them in my dunes. Diesels are too heavy. I’d let them get a ways in and then dance the big girl around them in 2wd like a big fat sand car. boost, roost, and smoke. Aired down in 4lo shes point and shoot, often with someone else’s broken rig in tow.

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to say the dodge wasn’t big, ugly, loud, or slow enough, so I got the deuce. Actually cuz my dad had/has one. Love the deuce but miss the dodge. Need to swap the engine in the deuce. Head gasket for the 2nd time. Found out there is a thick and thin deck block, less head bolt torque. One in it is thin. 22:1 and 25° BTDC doesn’t help…that and turning the fuel up.

Last edited:

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@davidwyby 2nd gens will never go out of style.. That truck of your sons is clean. When I’m on the hunt for another one, or doors for mine, I’ll have to get ahold of you first.
Car-part.com

I need to get on there and get a tailgate for the ‘11.

Emissions and laziness etc in ca puts a lot of clean bodies in wrecking yards.

I have a pretty nice blue cab for my ‘95 for someday.