2nd Gen Ram Pickups

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
12:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@davidwyby The important part is your son is taking initiative to do such things. Sounds like an outstanding young man. He must have one hell of a good dad!

Last edited:

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
1:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Transmission still doesn't shift right...It's fine on the highway...in stop and go traffic over about 185f tranny temp it acts like it's stuck between first and park....turbo and or wastegate are shot(won't hit 20psi while towing)...steering box, tie rod/drank link ends shot(lots of play)....I believe the front axle gears are stripped.....lots of other minor things.

After three transmissions, vp44 injection pump, lift pump twice, dana 70 rear gears replaced(stripped the teeth off the ring gear) several sets of front brake pads and rotors, dash disinterested, ... Got sick of dumping time and money in it.
The engine still runs great though🤣

I had a 7.3 Excursion for a while it wasn't bad....sold it before it fell apart. Several neighbors had the 6.0 power stroke....easily the biggest POS diesel ever stuffed into a light duty truck.

My bosses Duramax was great when it ran right....but generally didn't.... usually computer/sensor related. It was about 50/50 in the shop/on the road.
The new ones gotta have piss(urea)injected in the exhaust. 🤣🤣🤣
Idk...I've come to the conclusion none of the big three diesels are worth owning unless a guy is consistently towing heavy loads. At least not for me.

Haha🤣🤣 Rant over. You probably regret asking me that question now.😂 I better get back to work and stuffs

Machines cost money. It’s smart to know what you don’t need.

Good looking truck though. I’m sure someone would take it off your hands.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
2:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Machines cost money. It’s smart to know what you don’t need.

Good looking truck though. I’m sure someone would take it off your hands.
I pretty much replaced everything he listed, on my truck over the last several years. If a guys mechanically inclined, it’s not hard to do any of that. And that could easily be a reliable truck again with a little $$ and time.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I pretty much replaced everything he listed, on my truck over the last several years. If a guys mechanically inclined, it’s not hard to do any of that. And that could easily be a reliable truck again with a little $$ and time.
Yup. They make steering box braces and hydraulic assist. Swap it to manual. Dana 80 rear. My only hang up would be I’d rather have a Ppump 12v. But that rear door is reeeeeaaal nice to have.

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
…or convert to full Manual valve body. My Cummins builder buddy says it’s the next best. That’s what my 95 is gonna be…til it dies and I go back to manual.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup. They make steering box braces and hydraulic assist. Swap it to manual. Dana 80 rear. My only hang up would be I’d rather have a Ppump 12v. But that rear door is reeeeeaaal nice to have.
If my VP44 dies, I’m P-pumping it to make it even more reliable. I lose Cruise Control, but I don’t use it much anyway, except on cross country trips (which is rare for me).

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
…or convert to full Manual valve body. My Cummins builder buddy says it’s the next best. That’s what my 95 is gonna be…til it dies and I go back to manual.
Yes, my full manual valve body in the 727 Torqflite my CJ5 has, is rock solid. Full control and no slipping.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If my VP44 dies, I’m P-pumping it to make it even more reliable. I lose Cruise Control, but I don’t use it much anyway, except on cross country trips (which is rare for me).

Are they prone to failure? Or is it internet keyboard induced panic like the cp4 pump failures every tells me happen constantly, yet I've only ever repaired 1...

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are they prone to failure? Or is it internet keyboard induced panic like the cp4 pump failures every tells me happen constantly, yet I've only ever repaired 1...
Or like the "weak" planetary gear set in a C6 transmission that I've never seen busted?

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
VPs are prone to failure from lack of fuel flow from weak lift pumps, or coming down mountain passes with foot off the throttle which is not entirely their fault, but the P is overall more robust.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Yes VP44 are prone to failures, not keyboard induced panic.

The weak lift pump, has more to do with the VP44 failing, then the VP44 itself.

If a VP44 is fed a steady stream of fuel, from a air dog, fass, or raptor lift pump, the VP44 can live a long time.

I had a brand new 1999 Ram eat a VP44 in under 50k miles, next one last less then 20k before it died. Mother Mopar was all mystified by the problems 24V trucks were giving them, when 12V trucks ran forever, almost never loosing a injection or lift pump.

Aftermarket company's stepped up and started making frame mounted lift pumps & big fuel line kits, for VP44 trucks.

My 3rd VP44 on that 1999, lived well over 200,000 miles once it had a good lift pump feeding it fuel.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or like the "weak" planetary gear set in a C6 transmission that I've never seen busted?
This:

If a VP44 is fed a steady stream of fuel, from a air dog, fass, or raptor lift pump, the VP44 can live a long time.

I had a brand new 1999 Ram eat a VP44 in under 50k miles, next one last less then 20k before it died. Mother Mopar was all mystified by the problems 24V trucks were giving them, when 12V trucks ran forever, almost never loosing a injection or lift pump.

Aftermarket company's stepped up and started making frame mounted lift pumps & big fuel line kits, for VP44 trucks.

My 3rd VP44 on that 1999, lived well over 200,000 miles once it had a good lift pump feeding it fuel.
From what I’ve read, they need at minimum 10psi of fuel from the lift pump to survive, carrying away the heat produced by the injection pump itself. The FASS DRP that’s on my truck keeps the VP fed with 15-19 psi steady. I don’t plan on needing to replace it anytime soon.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
7:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Hey bro.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This:

From what I’ve read, they need at minimum 10psi of fuel from the lift pump to survive, carrying away the heat produced by the injection pump itself. The FASS DRP that’s on my truck keeps the VP fed with 15-19 psi steady. I don’t plan on needing to replace it anytime soon.

I always thought the FASS, fuel air separator pumps, they make were all hype. Until I put one on, one of my trucks.

It was a noticeable difference in how the truck idled, plus the power was more responsive running through the gears, being fed solid fuel from the air separator pump, not air intrained fuel. It was just a lot smoother / stronger running truck.

24V trucks kind of clunk & clatter, that truck just purred like a baby kitten after the FASS 150.

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Idk...I've come to the conclusion none of the big three diesels are worth owning unless a guy is consistently towing heavy loads. At least not for me.
There's something to he said for a simple gas truck. Yep, none of the diesels will ever be as affordable to work on as the gas engines. Yep, my 7.3 powerstroke, death by a million o-rings. I've literally torn apart the entire topside, replacing any 22 year old o-rings that could leak. Then the burnt up torque converter, whole tranmission was built with all the big stuff. $4700 later, the tranmission behaves.

Then the madness of starting a diesel in below zero weather. Looking forward to finishing my gas wood truck.

Everybody should have an old slant 6 dodge, 300 ford or 292 chevy powered 1 ton back up to yer diesels!