Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like a pretty fresh mill too. I dig it
Only 351 W I got to play with was in my gramps 76 f350, also with a t-19. Had a propane conversion so paying like $0.80 cents a gallon was cool
That picture was taken 3 or 4 years ago. It ain't so pretty anymore.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
3:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My son is rebuilding and shift kitting his 47re. I’ve never done an auto. Got him the ATS manual. Any other pointers?
My 2001 Ram has about 190,000 miles...it received its 3rd transmission about 185,000...If I had to do it over id probably swapped to a NV5600 manual at 1000,000 when the first transmission went.

The 47re really needs to be built with desired power output in mind. Up to 350 HP or so they don't require much compared to 500+ as far as billet shafts, flex plate and torque converter. Either way hydraulic pressure needs to increased so it can take advantage of of the Cummins outstanding low end torque.

I hate the 47RE almost as much as I love the 5.9 Cummins. 😂
They can be made run and shift well though.

I'm no expert. He should read as much as he can on the Cummins forums.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
4:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 2001 Ram has about 190,000 miles...it received its 3rd transmission about 185,000...If I had to do it over id probably swapped to a NV5600 manual at 1000,000 when the first transmission went.

The 47re really needs to be built with desired power output in mind. Up to 350 HP or so they don't require much compared to 500+ as far as billet shafts, flex plate and torque converter. Either way hydraulic pressure needs to increased so it can take advantage of of the Cummins outstanding low end torque.

I hate the 47RE almost as much as I love the 5.9 Cummins. 😂
They can be made run and shift well though.

I'm no expert. He should read as much as he can on the Cummins forums.

I bought my truck with a double disk clutch and nv5600. It’s bullet proof but the clutch is loud as hell and the syncronizers take a long time to line up the low gears. Nothing’s perfect I guess.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought my truck with a double disk clutch and nv5600. It’s bullet proof but the clutch is loud as hell and the syncronizers take a long time to line up the low gears. Nothing’s perfect I guess.
That's the important part....even if it sounds and shifts like a dump truck...😁 My F250 6 speed is the same way. In the winter, before I switched to ATF it looked more like I was churning butter than shifting. 🤣

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
His was a freshish rebuild based on what we found. Clean inside, couple messed up clutches. Inexpensive aftermarket TC. Gave it a new decent triple disc, clutches/wear parts and shift kit. Main problem wasn’t the trans, it was that the flex plate to TC bolts backed out and ground into the bellhousing adapter. Figure to check it out and improve while it was out. He’ll at least chip it and do exhaust I’m sure.

My ‘95 was originally an auto dually. Guy I bought it from built it. NV4500 swap. Lots of
Miles and abuse on that truck. I started having shoulder problems and the synchros were going so took it to my buddy for a built auto…4 years ago. 😬🤦🏻‍♂️

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
5:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
His was a freshish rebuild based on what we found. Clean inside, couple messed up clutches. Inexpensive aftermarket TC. Gave it a new decent triple disc, clutches/wear parts and shift kit. Main problem wasn’t the trans, it was that the flex plate to TC bolts backed out and ground into the bellhousing adapter. Figure to check it out and improve while it was out. He’ll at least chip it and do exhaust I’m sure.

My ‘95 was originally an auto dually. Guy I bought it from built it. NV4500 swap. Lots of
Miles and abuse on that truck. I started having shoulder problems and the synchros were going so took it to my buddy for a built auto…4 years ago. 😬🤦🏻‍♂️
You really need to get that back.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
…then I got physical therapy, bigger pillow, and my shoulders got better so I wished I’d stuck with manual…but now right shoulder jacked up again. Whatever.

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’ve had a 408 magnum stroker sitting at an engine builders for 7 years I still don’t think is done. So I feel your pain
Dang we have shop like that here,, ya drop it off,, wait 3 months,, then start showing up,,,, thats the only way to get results,, the work done is the best,, I got the shop to do two engines and tons of heads,,

mainer_in_ak

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a 1992 1 ton with the 5 speed manual and the 5.9 cummins. It was a simple truck, and got good fuel economy. The brakes weren't all that great even after a $1500 break job. Used it for firewood, caribou, moose, and for building materials for my business. A shi tty mechanic that ruined the engnine and the transfer case was the eventual end of the truck. Sold it for parts and had to start over again.

20161129-160006.jpg

20170503-143738.jpg

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same deal here bob. Very nice guy and quoted me well under what the job should have been THEN and is sticking to his price now.
With speeding/ racing fines what they are now I’m ok with waiting

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Trucks are a lot like people...Start out great, stand up to use and abuse......after enough years and miles things start breaking and in general just kinda go to hell.
My 01. It was my dad's truck. Bought from my mom after my dad passed away. Had about 35,000 miles when I got it. Did a lot of work and hunting trips with it. Been parked in that same spot for six years now.IMG_20240525_143502631.jpg

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Transmission still doesn't shift right...It's fine on the highway...in stop and go traffic over about 185f tranny temp it acts like it's stuck between first and park....turbo and or wastegate are shot(won't hit 20psi while towing)...steering box, tie rod/drank link ends shot(lots of play)....I believe the front axle gears are stripped.....lots of other minor things.

After three transmissions, vp44 injection pump, lift pump twice, dana 70 rear gears replaced(stripped the teeth off the ring gear) several sets of front brake pads and rotors, dash disinterested, ... Got sick of dumping time and money in it.
The engine still runs great though🤣

I had a 7.3 Excursion for a while it wasn't bad....sold it before it fell apart. Several neighbors had the 6.0 power stroke....easily the biggest POS diesel ever stuffed into a light duty truck.

My bosses Duramax was great when it ran right....but generally didn't.... usually computer/sensor related. It was about 50/50 in the shop/on the road.
The new ones gotta have piss(urea)injected in the exhaust. 🤣🤣🤣
Idk...I've come to the conclusion none of the big three diesels are worth owning unless a guy is consistently towing heavy loads. At least not for me.

Haha🤣🤣 Rant over. You probably regret asking me that question now.😂 I better get back to work and stuffs