2nd Gen Ram Pickups

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Something to note: The K&N (I’m a big fan of K&N with performance gasoline engines) has proven more air flow and higher boost and more power with all engines. Cummins did an in-house test with them and found that they allow more particulates through, and the test engine showed piston ring wear much sooner than expected. Cummins still recommends the FleetGard air filter for the most protection against dirt ingestion.

In my pickup with the Cummins, I run a paper element filter. I had installed a K&N when I first bought the truck and shortly after I found the article with the information from Cummins (I think it was in Turbo Diesel Register archives) and it changed my mind about it. I swapped back. Just something to consider if you’re looking for engine longevity VS a high power toy.

BHAF are good. Stock air boxes the plastic cracks over time. BHAF eliminates the stock box.

BHAF-installed.jpg.4c306ad83a17748134cbe11cf91e2c82.jpg

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's something to he said for a simple gas truck. Yep, none of the diesels will ever be as affordable to work on as the gas engines. Yep, my 7.3 powerstroke, death by a million o-rings. I've literally torn apart the entire topside, replacing any 22 year old o-rings that could leak. Then the burnt up torque converter, whole tranmission was built with all the big stuff. $4700 later, the tranmission behaves.

Then the madness of starting a diesel in below zero weather. Looking forward to finishing my gas wood truck.

Everybody should have an old slant 6 dodge, 300 ford or 292 chevy powered 1 ton back up to yer diesels!
I'm going to pull the 7.3 4 speed out of my 86 and replace it with a 460 and C6.

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Are they prone to failure? Or is it internet keyboard induced panic like the cp4 pump failures every tells me happen constantly, yet I've only ever repaired 1...
I sold my truck with over 200k on it,, original VP44,, did go thru 3 lift pumps,, had a led that would come on at low pressure,, saved my VP I think.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's something to he said for a simple gas truck. Yep, none of the diesels will ever be as affordable to work on as the gas engines. Yep, my 7.3 powerstroke, death by a million o-rings. I've literally torn apart the entire topside, replacing any 22 year old o-rings that could leak. Then the burnt up torque converter, whole tranmission was built with all the big stuff. $4700 later, the tranmission behaves.

Then the madness of starting a diesel in below zero weather. Looking forward to finishing my gas wood truck.

Everybody should have an old slant 6 dodge, 300 ford or 292 chevy powered 1 ton back up to yer diesels!
I like simple. Less stuffs to break. The 7.3 was a decent motor. Made good power for it's time. Crazy how much power those newer diesels make.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Machines cost money. It’s smart to know what you don’t need.

Good looking truck though. I’m sure someone would take it off your hands.
Thanks Caleb. Its a relatively clean and rust free AZ truck. Machines definitely cost money. Some more than others.
I'm going to pull the 7.3 4 speed out of my 86 and replace it with a 460 and C6.
Did that on a 79 bronco. Already had the C6 and a 400m.
I sold my truck with over 200k on it,, original VP44,, did go thru 3 lift pumps,, had a led that would come on at low pressure,, saved my VP I think.
The led was a great idea. Probably did save the VP44. After I lost the first lift pump I installed gauges/tuner(Edge Juice) and was able to catch it on time during the second lift pump failure.

thedude74

Bonafide & Stuff !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I pretty much replaced everything he listed, on my truck over the last several years. If a guys mechanically inclined, it’s not hard to do any of that. And that could easily be a reliable truck again with a little $$ and time.
We might have different definitions of reliable.

With a couple exceptions I've always done all my own automotive work.

When they're running they're a great truck.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We might have different definitions of reliable.

With a couple exceptions I've always done all my own automotive work.

When they're running they're a great truck.
Once you upgrade or otherwise eliminate or improve the issues, they are reliable. I know of no brand or vehicle that doesn’t have some sort of shortcomings.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Once you upgrade or otherwise eliminate or improve the issues, they are reliable. I know of no brand or vehicle that doesn’t have some sort of shortcomings.
Agreed. I took my pickup from MN to south Texas, near the border, and back 2 years ago. And that was before I addressed a couple issues. I would take this truck across country any day.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I looking to add a front hitch to use a winch for aiding with tree removal.
'99 2500 4 x 4
What's worked good for ya.

And I'm not trying to break the bank, truck's not exactly new. . .