Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
12:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Folks

This will be a bit of a long running story as I progress through the rebuild and sport the old girl up a bit.

My old 066 has done a bit of work.
I bought it with a new after market P&C fitted, brand unknown.
It has about 170 PSI of compression and runs really strong but I just want to strip it and fix it up.

New AV rubbers, new hoses, new seals, clean up and clean out, port the jug and perhaps get a better meteor piston for it.

If OPE admin are keen, I would be happy to do some testing in Australia on one of these rumored MM Cylinders...... wink wink!!!

I am sick of the Stihl HD filter blocking up every 2nd tank of fuel so have just ordered a velocity stack and K&N filter and filter wrap
Here is what I plan to fit:
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=R-1100

The muffler on the saw is an old original dual port job but it dont seal to well around the cylinder exhaust port.
I have opened it up a bit but once ported, I plan to do something more serious with the muffler...... not sure yet.

I will post up some pics of the saw soon, and lots of pics as I go.

I would also be happy for people to add advice, their experiences with this model, port numbers to aim for, etc etc.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good thread on my favorite saw. I've got oem cylinders if you want one.

OEM would be preferable for porting I guess
At this stage I am a bit $ poor and am having to work through this slowly.

I will get back to you when I get to the jug and put a degree wheel on it.
If the numbers are not the best compared to OEM it will be on the cards.

If I am going to put the work into the saw I want it as strong as I can get it

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
9:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I've had better luck with the HD over the hd2. I've had a hd2 look clean and it flood my saw. I run the old style HD with the maxflow green foam cover. I think it's a maxflow. Deets will know

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We still have some more work to do on the MMWS 066 top ends.

They made the exhaust too flat. :(

It's going back for round two.....
I would like to talk to you about these sometime.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine is the HD2 and even after I blow it out with light compressed air, it's still hard to blow through the filter material.
I have found it needs to be soaked in hot soapy water to soak out all the super fines. After it air dries it is noticeably easier to blow air through.

I have one of those Stihl material band covers around the filter but that just makes it more restrictive so it's a lose lose position as far as I am concerned, especially when I start asking the saw to flow more air than standard.

I looked at the uni filter and I like them but I had a oiled foam Uni filter in my car years ago and I hated cleaning and re-oiling it.
I switched to K&N and never looked back, which is why I have gone with the K&N filter.

The velocity stacks are easy to find on eBay as the 1/5 RC car community seem to like using Walbro carbs.

Question:
What is usually the advantage or advantages of the OEM jug over the after market stuff?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If they're going back for round two, can we ask for quad transfer ports? :hambre:

I supplied an OEM jug with a little machine work, a little port work, and a little epoxy. I wasn't smart enough to know how to make a quad ported prototype. :(

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was just taking some pics of the saw to post tonight when I get on my puter and it got me thinking on the paint and covers.

It's a work saw for cutting fire wood, not a show pony.
If I paint it and make it look all pretty, it break my heart every time I get it filthy or add a new scratch.

This old boy has a few scars but we all know chicks dig scars!

I might leave the Finnish as is and just concentrate on repair and improvement.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is the saw as it stands now.
Its still a bit dirty from a days work this week but its getting used again tomorrow so I didn't bother cleaning it right up like I usually do.
Its wearing a 25" bar and 404 Stihl chain

IMG_1921.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1923.jpg

IMG_1926.jpg

Little things like old worn AV mounts have prompted the work, plus I want to make it go better too

IMG_1925.jpg

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is the air filter I run now and the band that goes around it.

Its good when its clean but after a tank or 2 in hard dusty wood, performance suffers

IMG_1922.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

VinceGU05

one day when i grow up...
Local time
10:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i swear by this stuff for washing the saw with..

dont use paint at all.. its crap.. leave it or powder coating only. paint lasts 5 mins.
here is one i blasted, etch primed and painted. still chips just looking at it :mad:

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It sure gets the job done though.
When I got it, my old man said "what do you want something that big for?
When he wandered down the back paddock and found I had decimated an entire massive tree in a few hours, that he told me would take weeks to cut up, he conceded it was a good thing.
IMG_1544 (1632 x 1224).jpg

3 1/2' to 4' thick eucalyptus hardwood tree trunks. Sectioned some up with the 30" bar but it was hard work as the bar was too small for the job.

IMG_1734 (1632 x 1224).jpg

me cutting 1.jpg

Bought a 42" bar for it and it made the job much easier.

IMG_1884 (1077 x 808).jpg

IMG_1883 (1077 x 808).jpg

Excuse fingers, I only seem to get the finger over the phone lens when I am tuckered out from cutting but want to take a pic of my work.

Its such a good saw and really deserves to be made to be best it can be.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i swear by this stuff for washing the saw with..

dont use paint at all.. its crap.. leave it or powder coating only. paint lasts 5 mins.
here is one i blasted, etch primed and painted. still chips just looking at it :mad:

I saw the pic of the cleaning spray and then the saw and thought......... bugger me, it looks like new!

You painted it too...... would be nice though.

Like I said...... a new saw, well yeah just got to use it, but if I restore an old loved saw to like new, using it will be damaging all the hard work.
I guess the desire to respray, new covers etc is the little devil on my shoulder telling me I want a brand new saw but its so much more fun fixing an old one and I kind of like the old school stuff better for some reason.

I am also a fan of the rat rod.
I am thinking this will be like a rat rod...... old, busted, rusty and used looking on the outside but with a clean running motor that will go all day long on the inside

I believe I have just given my saw a name

RAT 66

To add to this, I looked at the Varioclean at my local Stihl dealer. They dont even put a price under anything in a Stihl dealer here in Australia because you would run from the shop in fear of bankruptcy.

I didn't bother asking what it costs when I can get cans of de-greaser from the auto shops for $2 a can

Last edited: