550xp mk2 dies at full throttle under load

treemuel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As title states, my 550xp mk2 (stock) just started cutting out at full throttle under load. First noticed it with the saw on its side in a face cut; thought it was out of fuel, but wasn't. Checked the air filter, fuel filter, both clean. Noodled a log to do the autotune reset. Seemed to run fine for a bit, then happened again. Possibly only happening once it warms up...? What should I check next? Thanks!

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
9:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unfortunately, removing the carb on a 550 XP is not the easiest venture but huskihl is right, that could be a problem area. There is even a YouTube presentation on it.

Motorka

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Tomos770

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Blue filter is for AT saws....has finer mesh..

treemuel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies. I pulled the carb apart (it certainly is one of the more PITA carbs to remove that I've encountered) and cleaned the screen, although it didn't seem particularly dirty. Anyway, got it all back together and initial results are that everything is working great. I do wonder if there's some particular set of conditions that will cause it to act up again, but I've got a big job on Fri to give it a real test and hopefully it doesn't crap out on me up in the tree again, lol.

Maybe I'll go ahead and order one of those new fuel filters in any case since neither of my local shops had even heard of their existence, haha. And the one on the saw currently looks after market (I bought it used).

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That's good info, thanks!

What's the deal with these new fuel filters? I've had a few AT saws and they all came with the stock all-white fuel filters that have been used for 10-20 years. Why do AT saws all of a sudden need these new filters, and why specifically AT saws....why not all the saws IF it filters better?

Motorka

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
better filtration

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
better filtration
Lol, I get that.

What I'm asking is why now? Why not 12 years ago? Why does an AT carb need a separate filter from the new orange-tipped filter or the old stock-white filters?

Edit: also, is Husqy going to swap out all my old fuel filters for me?

Last edited:

Motorka

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Blue filter is available for year or two?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol, I get that.

What I'm asking is why now? Why not 12 years ago? Why does an AT carb need a separate filter from the new orange-tipped filter or the old stock-white filters?

Edit: also, is Husqy going to swap out all my old fuel filters for me?
Metallic shavings from the fuel were getting through the filter and plugging the carb screen

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Metallic shavings from the fuel were getting through the filter and plugging the carb screen
Okay, but then why the need for two filters, one specific to AT saws? If an AT carb and a standard carb are essentially the same aside from the electronic component(s), what's the difference?

And were the 3-series saws having this issue with the older style filter? If not, why?

This is where I'm lost.

treemuel

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ran like a top today. So I’m guessing there must have been just enough little gunk in the carb screen to bog it down at wot.

Wrecked out this split Poplar with it. Glad it didn’t leave me hanging 😊IMG_3569.jpegIMG_3568.jpeg

And XS 7900 for the win on the stumpIMG_3578.jpeg

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
9:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm working on another one: Husqvarna 550 XP. I rebuilt the top end because no compression remained. After the rebuild, it started and ran twice, but it refuses to restart when warm. I think I need to take down the carb and inspect it also. I seldom run into this after a complete rebuild. It's a bit frustrating, but this is my first encounter with an AutoTune saw. If anyone has any ideas, please advise. TIA.

Tomos770

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
550 mks1 had/has tandency towards hard restarts when warm....

Heat can build up inside its carburetor and they evolve vapour lock...

Whenever you put it hot to the rest...pop up its cylinder cover to cool it down...

Or leave it idling for minute or two....then restart it with fast idle!

Put some additional holes in cylinder cover for additional cooling...look for late style mk1 covers for reference

Do a MMode.....so that saw will breathe more easily (less heat build up)

Tomos770

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry for the "marketing" part...but its informative!