064, 066 MS650, MS660 info thread

Tim N

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 066 with serial number 124708357. Was wondering if anyone could tell me about when it was built

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depending on actual age, a typical dealer won't have access to records much earlier than 1995 or so unless they sold the saw in the first place. Even if so, they would only have the date of sale. The date of manufacture is not indicated/included/determined in/by the serial number.

That serial number was not found using the digital resources at my disposal. Someone else may have more direct (and complete) access to the database, or maybe there's a typo in the number provided.

Other ways to ballpark the age are by certain parts and features of a saw known to be associated with specific production eras (as would be found in the IPL and T.I. history). That can be a research project all by itself. But that said, there were quite a few changes in the 1122 series along the way and real aficionados can narrow down the age of a given saw pretty accurately.

Here's a short thread by a true expert to provide an idea of where to start looking...

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...r-breakdown-decomp-newer-style-plastic.61913/

Last edited:

Tim N

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depending on actual age, a typical dealer won't have access to records much earlier than 1995 or so unless they sold the saw in the first place. Even if so, they would only have the date of sale. The date of manufacture is not indicated/included/determined in/by the serial number

That serial number was not found using the digital resources at my disposal. Someone else may have more direct (and complete) access to the database, or maybe there's a typo in the number provided.

Other ways to ballpark the age are by certain parts and features of a saw known to be associated with specific production eras (as would be found in the IPL and T.I. history). That can be a research project all by itself. But that said, there were quite a few changes in the 1122 series along the way and real aficionados can narrow down the age of a given saw pretty accurately.

Here's a short thread by a true expert to provide an idea of where to start looking...

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...r-breakdown-decomp-newer-style-plastic.61913/
Thank you. The number is correct. It's a flat top with no decomp.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the deco version here. Pretty sure it’s a 1995 or something like that. It had the dreaded shielded bearings in it if that’s any indicator of age. I promptly had those changed out lol. They were toast anyway. E82F8641-C99E-4B7C-AB20-0AE4B8671C9B.jpeg

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
For sure, it definitely cleaned up nice. It’s got a chip out of the tank handle on the other side but other than that, a nice 066.
Mine looks way worse and used.
I'll get a pic today of mine from the tank cap side. Betting it is a 1994 flattop. I'll see if it has a serial number with an original case. I know where this saw was bought new.

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the deco version here. Pretty sure it’s a 1995 or something like that. It had the dreaded shielded bearings in it if that’s any indicator of age. I promptly had those changed out lol. They were toast anyway. View attachment 275242
Very nice looking 066. If it's all original the metal 066 badge wouldn't make it a 1997 last year flat top model.
1997 like mine below has a plastic badge. My 1992 066 next to it with 1986 064 rewind housing and flywheel.

I'd say yours may be a early 1996 as there was a transition to the new decomp then and the poly flywheel but still retaining the metal badge.
Best to my memory at the moment, got notes somewhere.

20180927_104741.jpg

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice looking 066. If it's all original the metal 066 badge wouldn't make it a 1997 last year flat top model.
1997 like mine below has a plastic badge. My 1992 066 next to it with 1986 064 rewind housing and flywheel.

I'd say yours may be a early 1996 as there was a transition to the new decomp then and the poly flywheel but still retaining the metal badge.
Best to my memory at the moment, got notes somewhere.

View attachment 275480
Thanks for the info Willard, she’s got the metal flywheel, short cases and small end crank stub if that’s any help too

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's a small end crank stub, Bub?
Small flywheel side seal and small flywheel nut threads. Basically the same crank as 064. Later 066/660 poly saws had a fatter crank stub, larger flywheel nut threads, take a different case gasket and take a larger flywheel crank seal. It is in theory a bit stronger durability wise. The actual bearing “seat” surface is the same though and both cranks take the same main bearings/pto seal.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The one that I have might have the “improved” metal flywheel crank that has the larger big end connecting rod bearing that they introduced before the changeover to poly crank (poly crank had the larger bearing). Apparently they changed from 12 to 13 rollers on the bearing if I am not mistaken... however I didn’t count the rollers on the rod bearing while I had the saw apart though. It sure is difficult to keep up with all the millions of changes stihl made to 1122 saws lol. I am learning as I am going along...

Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The one that I have might have the “improved” metal flywheel crank that has the larger big end connecting rod bearing that they introduced before the changeover to poly crank (poly crank had the larger bearing). Apparently they changed from 12 to 13 rollers on the bearing if I am not mistaken... however I didn’t count the rollers on the rod bearing while I had the saw apart though. It sure is difficult to keep up with all the millions of changes stihl made to 1122 saws lol. I am learning as I am going along...
It sure is.

Mine has the aluminum flywheel and all the rest of the bigger newer parts but never actually took off my flywheel or checked the stub. Fuel tank and plastics are skinny kind. PTO side was torn down to the bearing seal after I got it. Never put seals in it or took off the top end. That's the one with a plugged decomp jug that breaks starter parts. Start it from tdc or you will wish you did.

Mine runs more like the heavy crank vs the light one imo. It does not have that instant snap like an early 44 or 66. That said it will four stroke way higher than any of the 660's I've ever messed with carrying stock cylinders. No good time to rip it down just to go look in there. Maybe next year I'll time the thing, maybe not. It just another saw to me.

Do they have different diameter treads to retain the flywheel?

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Small flywheel side seal and small flywheel nut threads. Basically the same crank as 064. Later 066/660 poly saws had a fatter crank stub, larger flywheel nut threads, take a different case gasket and take a larger flywheel crank seal. It is in theory a bit stronger durability wise. The actual bearing “seat” surface is the same though and both cranks take the same main bearings/pto seal.

Everyone always forgets the poly short case. Old style case gasket, bigger crank, different flywheel side seal.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everyone always forgets the poly short case. Old style case gasket, bigger crank, different flywheel side seal.
Can’t say I’m surprised lol. It also explains why the big flywheel side seal is included in the 064 gasket set along with the small flywheel side seal.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It sure is.

Mine has the aluminum flywheel and all the rest of the bigger newer parts but never actually took off my flywheel or checked the stub. Fuel tank and plastics are skinny kind. PTO side was torn down to the bearing seal after I got it. Never put seals in it or took off the top end. That's the one with a plugged decomp jug that breaks starter parts. Start it from tdc or you will wish you did.

Mine runs more like the heavy crank vs the light one imo. It does not have that instant snap like an early 44 or 66. That said it will four stroke way higher than any of the 660's I've ever messed with carrying stock cylinders. No good time to rip it down just to go look in there. Maybe next year I'll time the thing, maybe not. It just another saw to me.

Do they have different diameter treads to retain the flywheel?
Yes the threads are different. We discovered that when rebuilding my saw trying to use the 660 crank tool. M8 vs M10 threads.