Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome - I'm really interested to see how that turns out. I have a tank that is heavily corroded in the air box area so I'm going to cut all that out and go with the Reed 458 sloper manifold with the
6 petal reed cage and probably an HL-360A or similar.

I'd think twice about using a HL-360 carb. I tried 2 of them on 2 different 101 saws and both carbs
ran like crap. They would idle for a couple seconds then run out of fuel like the fuel pump wasn't
working. Had them apart several times. Talked to everyone under the sun and no one could figure
it out. Still have 1 on the last stock appearing 125 I built and it has only made one cut. Ran like crap.
It has been shelfed for over 5 years.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just look at a 125 as big wood saw .They do a good job of it with nothing done to them .Plus the fact in my case they don't get used that often . It's been a few years since I've used any of my large saws ,2-125's ,105,Homey 2100S and 084 Stihl .More than likely I'll have to rebuild a few carbs because they've sat so long .
I would like to find a 101 but it would just be a big kids toy .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't recall what carb Kevin (Cut for fun) had on that Varney 166 Sachs but it was a monster of a thing .You could drop a golf ball through it and that thing could pump the fuel .I ran that thing at Chardon and would it cut .I got beat of course which comes as no surprise .What ever it was it might be an option on a Mac cookie cutter .

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd think twice about using a HL-360 carb. I tried 2 of them on 2 different 101 saws and both carbs
ran like crap. They would idle for a couple seconds then run out of fuel like the fuel pump wasn't
working. Had them apart several times. Talked to everyone under the sun and no one could figure
it out. Still have 1 on the last stock appearing 125 I built and it has only made one cut. Ran like crap.

Lee - were you running gas or methanol? Most of the 360s I've seen are methanol carbs.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see that’s a tight fit! Terry recommended the wb as a decent carb for even a kart on the track, not a max performance carb for a 101, more of an all around, he also likes v6 reeds, I can’t see a way to fit them without cutting the airbox, the v4 manifold I am making is super tight with a provision for a boot.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see that’s a tight fit! Terry recommended the wb as a decent carb for even a kart on the track, not a max performance carb for a 101, more of an all around, he also likes v6 reeds, I can’t see a way to fit them without cutting the airbox, the v4 manifold I am making is super tight with a provision for a boot.
I don't see how to install a 6 reed block without cutting either. And a!ton of cutting at that. Also the WB keeps its throttle shafts/linkage closer to it's smaller body. A lot of cutting must be done just for the shafts on the BDC's. I suppose a guy could cut them down a bit, but that seemed more work than removing tank material. Prolly a cleaner way though.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't see how to install a 6 reed block without cutting either. And a!ton of cutting at that. Also the WB keeps its throttle shafts/linkage closer to it's smaller body. A lot of cutting must be done just for the shafts on the BDC's. I suppose a guy could cut them down a bit, but that seemed more work than removing tank material. Prolly a cleaner way though.
I was able to use the stock throttle linkage, it looks at homeView attachment 199724799F36C7-BEE5-4DE9-BEED-15FEA6ED7079.jpeg

Last edited:

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Lower the pop off pressure.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agreed! I think you would have to cut into the fuel area to get it in! I also thought about spacing the mounts a little and the lower handle would be tight and the the handle wrap handle would need new holes, but a 1/4-3/8 of an inch would help and not be too noticeable

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep go big or go home!

You guys have me all worked up about this now, so I'll try the RWJ-4 and SDC-80 this weekend
and see if that bumps up a stock 125.

Maybe an external pump? I bought one for mine when I was considering a high percent nitro build.

Don - I have an external pump I was thinking about using with an older large-bore HL carb that only has the single-stage pump.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys have me all worked up about this now, so I'll try the RWJ-4 and SDC-80 this weekend
and see if that bumps up a stock 125.

Don - I have an external pump I was thinking about using with an older large-bore HL carb that only has the single-stage pump.
Nathan's a bad influence I'm telling ya lol.