Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone tried a Wj39, Wj70 or Wj71 off a 394xp on a 125? I imagine it would be easier to source than a sdc 20. It’s got internal impulse and it is is larger than the tillotson HS fixed jet carb. Problem is the linkage, maybe linkage from a 066 Wj could work... I was tempted to investigate that but the 125 is no longer here to try that :(. The fixed jet carb actually ran pretty good in cold weather though to be honest, just too fat in hot weather. Plus it kind of takes some of the fun out of it not being able to fiddle with the carb adjustments looking for that bit of extra powa. Lol

Did you get rid of your 125?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Although my two 125's have adjustable jets I guess some had fixed jets .My 105 came with a fixed jet and I got an adjustable jet from a 125 from Rich Dugan and it gave it some pep . I had to drill a hole in the air box to get to it and pop a rubber plug in the hole .That's another one that sits on the shelf .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speaking of duck bills Another of one of many "works in progress " is a 95 cc Sears gear drive with a Lauson carb I managed to blow the duck bill check valve into orbit .I need to find something to replace it .
Not to mention I tossed flywheel rolling it over with a drill motor which caused me to hit the deck in fear for my life while it orbited my garage nearly hitting my wifes Cadillac .That would not have ended well .Don't do it .Not good !

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
8:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm guessing that's probably a smaller duckbill valve Al - I know there's several sizes available for modern Homelite and Poulan saws -
maybe one of those would work?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That old Sears gear drive probably had sat under a pine tree near Meadville PA for a decade .It died on the vine from the condenser wire coming loose years before it was given to me .It needs more than just a check valve ,If memory serves it has a lined clutch with the friction lining loose .I could probably get another one from Bryce in Washington state but it's a back burner job .I may get-er-done or not .
Kind of neat in a way .It's either got an AH 58 Power Products engine or larger maybe ???I have another engine too if it comes to that at some time but it has a Tilley carb .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In a way those old PP engines are neat .Had a rotor plate assembly that could be rotated to set the timing that the specs were stated with reference of distance before top dead center of the piston .It equates to about 26 degrees advance .Plus they had no head gaskets just bare metal .Those and West Bend were the two cycle engine used like Briggs as kind of a fits all type thing .I think they could run forever if they weren't straight gassed .

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can get the OEM type duckbill valves from Elder Rubber in Irving, TX. You have to buy 20 pieces at a time (if I recall) but they end up pretty reasonable per piece. You can also get the OEM type from Bob Johnson for $6 each + shipping.

Mark

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bob make gaskets and diaphragms for the Walbro/MAC flatback carburetors.

Joe Salva of Sugar Creek Supply makes a broad range of gaskets and diaphragms for carburetors including the Carter ND used on some vintage saws.

Mark

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I knew about Sugar Creek Supply .I'll have to make a note about Bob for reference .Thanks

Last edited:

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe there's a guy down in Kentucky that also does vintage carb repops including Carter and/or has a large stash of NOS kits. Name escapes me, but I've talked to him in the past.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll just add with all this old stuff I have and renovation of same ,given enough time I've always been successful .However often it requires a lot of research not only for the parts but specs like screw sizes for example .Who would ever know the main jet for a Marvel -S carb is 1/4" 40 thread ?Even more surprising to me to even find that size tap to clean up the threads on a rebuild .No problem got one flea bay .