McCulloch Super Pro 125c build thread

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yessir, just the one seal. The 6620 is a thick seal and it blocks the "weep" hole. I'm not really too worried about weep - that's from an era
when 16:1 was the standard mix. This saw will run 32:1 of the "good stuff."

The chrome on the other cylinder isn't bad - the engine previously had a moisture seize, but luckily Ross doped it up with PB Blaster
when he got it and it broke loose fairly easily. The old piston is junk but I think the cylinder can be saved.
Perfect, just wanted to clarify! Ya I don’t really feel it’s necessary to have two seals if everything is in good shape, I will get some of those seals and try them out

That’s great on the cylinder!

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Perfect, just wanted to clarify! Ya I don’t really feel it’s necessary to have two seals if everything is in good shape, I will get some of those seals and try them out

That’s great on the cylinder!

Luckily those seals are cheap. I have NOS for the PTO side but SKF also makes a seal to fit that side. I think together you can get a set for under $15.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Before I found the saw forums Rich helped me out with parts and advice a number of times. Pretty good guy in my book, and has lots of knowledge about many different brands of saws.

Thing to remember with Rich is, he started working on these saws in 1971. He'll have 50 years in soon.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep he said he was a McCulloch and Pioneer dealer back in the 70's.

I used to hang out at his shop when I was a kid - he built a few of the kartsaws for my dad and uncle. For years he had a 272 "competition"
saw with a pipe that he'd let timber fallers run in the log behind the shop - good times. He also had a domesticated raccoon that lived in his shop for a
while.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to hang out at his shop when I was a kid - he built a few of the kartsaws for my dad and uncle. For years he had a 272 "competition"
saw with a pipe that he'd let timber fallers run in the log behind the shop - good times. He also had a domesticated raccoon that lived in his shop for a
while.
That's a really cool story. Would have been great to be there back then. Not much of that going on nowadays.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a really cool story. Would have been great to be there back then. Not much of that going on nowadays.

Yeah, when you go into shops these days it's all business and they don't want people hanging out - the attitude is you need to spend your money and leave.

Another of the local shops for years had an antique Pepsi cooler that they kept filled with Pabst and Coors - 50 cents a pop. All the log cutters would hang out
there after work. The parking lot would be full of square bodies and F-250s. I think when I retire I'll open a shop and have it be a place where guys can just
hang out and BS.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, when you go into shops these days it's all business and they don't want people hanging out - the attitude is you need to spend your money and leave.

Another of the local shops for years had an antique Pepsi cooler that they kept filled with Pabst and Coors - 50 cents a pop. All the log cutters would hang out
there after work. The parking lot would be full of square bodies and F-250s. I think when I retire I'll open a shop and have it be a place where guys can just
hang out and BS.
I would make the drive just to check it out. That's a great idea JJ.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That is awesome Mark.

I used to hang out at his shop when I was a kid - he built a few of the kartsaws for my dad and uncle.

Here's one of the kartsaws Rich built for my dad - it's a 101B rig. The last time my dad ran it was in 1987 when he was cutting for a logger out of Rogue River, Oregon on
Champion International land. This saw cut some big, big trees. It'll get a full restoration this winter. Rich had a proprietary way of welding the rear vibration
mount bases to the cylinder head - I'll show detail on that as I tear down and clean up all the parts.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
6:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is awesome Mark.

Here's one of the kartsaws Rich built for my dad - it's a 101B rig. The last time my dad ran it was in 1987 when he was cutting for a logger out of Rogue River, Oregon on
Champion International land. This saw cut some big, big trees. It'll get a full restoration this winter. Rich had a proprietary way of welding the rear vibration
mount bases to the cylinder head - I'll show detail on that as I tear down and clean up all the parts.

Thats awesome JJ!

I love saws with so much history! Especially family history. That build deserves it own thread documentation for sure.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
CR makes seals with double lips if you can cross one over. I always use them when possible in old stuff. We have seal warehouses local. Bearing place is next door to one of then, or was. I don't get out much now to chase parts.

Cool 101

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't get a whole lot done today since the weather was nice again and I needed to get the front of the house buttoned up painting wise, but I got a bunch of parts cleaned and got the short block finished.

In this picture, I pulled the flywheel and finished up the backing plate and points cover - I think I have the straps correct, but if I don't one of you boys can point me in the right direction. The one strap, circled
in blue, has a lip that contours with the recess for the weep containment. I make sure the points cover is clean and dry - my dad used to put grease on the lip to keep water out of the points but I've never had
an issue with that (of course, I'm not running these saws to make a living).

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the clutch side, there's an inner plate that the clutch drum and sprocket butt up against, and then clutch drum bearing and clutch backing plate, and packing spring. I'll
post detail of that tomorrow. The clutch retaining nut gets torqued to 340-360 inch-pounds. I went ahead and torqued the flywheel nut to about 400 inch-pounds. Other
chores I need to finish on this tomorrow are lapping the intake manifold and making a new intake gasket for it, finish sanding and polishing the intake hole in the tank, and
sealing the edges of the used air filter with plasti-dip or something similar.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't get a whole lot done today since the weather was nice again and I needed to get the front of the house buttoned up painting wise, but I got a bunch of parts cleaned and got the short block finished.

In this picture, I pulled the flywheel and finished up the backing plate and points cover - I think I have the straps correct, but if I don't one of you boys can point me in the right direction. The one strap, circled
in blue, has a lip that contours with the recess for the weep containment. I make sure the points cover is clean and dry - my dad used to put grease on the lip to keep water out of the points but I've never had
an issue with that (of course, I'm not running these saws to make a living).

Here's a picture of mine before teardown.IMG_20190320_150738.jpg