Last minute sub zero firewood gtg

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jeff, don't mean to teas you, but I remember when they used to say "Chevy for the 1/4 mile, Ford for the 500!"

427 Ford motor only motor ever successful at drag racing, Nascar, and 24 hrs of Lemans!!! Those 1966 GT-40s that kicked Ferrari's butt in the 24 hours of Lemans were running them. (3
Stihl is the square body chevy of the saw world. Can get it done with a 40 year old design. Just not as comfortable or as fast. [emoji41]

I beg to differ ... The 044 was the best power to weight saw in the category in stock form for a long time.

Also, don't think Husky has anything comparable to the 661.

Also, the new Ver II 261 and 362 are state of the art, and the 462 will be over a pound lighter than the 572.

Your views are bias.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear you Mike. My father used to do the motors and suspension work for a NASCAR Modified in the 70s. I saw many good Fords run strong. But I also saw many good Chevys that were strong too.
Just like our saws. I like any saw that runs strong and cuts wood. [emoji106]
Seen many, many good Hooskies, Dolmars, Jreds, Stihls, and please excuse me if I left any brands out. Gotta respect a good strong, powerful, fast saw! [emoji2]

Last edited:

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jeff, don't mean to teas you, but I remember when they used to say "Chevy for the 1/4 mile, Ford for the 500!"

427 Ford motor only motor ever successful at drag racing, Nascar, and 24 hrs of Lemans!!! Those 1966 GT-40s that kicked Ferrari's butt in the 24 hours of Lemans were running them. (3

I beg to differ ... The 044 was the best power to weight saw in the category in stock form for a long time.

Also, the new Ver II 2612 and 362 are state of the art, and the 462 will be over a pound lighter than the 572.

Your views are bias.
Not any more than yours! You are usually the first to say anything when someone says something is better than a Stihl. I’d say you are as biased or more than any of us!

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Also, the new Ver II 2612 and 362 are state of the art, and the 462 will be over a pound lighter than the 572.

Your views are bias.

I wouldn't say their bias. I like any saw that gives good performance and handling. Stihl are last in handling to me. 261 feels like a 60cc saw. Not to say I don't like it. It works fine to buck firewood. 044 is a good saw but I think the 460 is a better saw overall for a 7% weight increase. 044 is lighter than a 372 but doesn't handle over a 20" light bar without being nose down all the time. 661 and 372 balanced out the same with a 34" bar.

661 is a nice saw. I don't like them and I think a 390 husky is more comfortable to use. All the full time production guys are spending big money to get them to perform and not quit in the bush in 3-5 weeks and mounts every couple months so it's not a wet noodle flopping or a busted limiter.

We still don't have version 2 saws here in my area. Stihl was 20 years behind the spring mounts in moat of their saws.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear you Mike. My father used to do the motors and suspension work for a NASCAR Modified in the 70s. I saw many good Fords run strong. But I also saw many good Chevys that were strong too.
Just like our saws. I like any saw that runs strong and cuts wood. [emoji106]
Seen many, many good Hooskies, Dolmars, Jreds, Stihls, and please excuse me if I left any brands out. Gotta respect a good strong, powerful, fast saw! [emoji2]

My quote goes back to the 60s Jeff. 409s ran strong, but often blew up. Then Chevy came out with the canted valve big blocks. Very strong runners, but neither Keith Black or Ed Pink would build one for drag racing, only Hemi s and OHC 427 Fords, they were just stronger blocks.

When Ford went cross bolted mains and side oiler block on the 406/427, nothing could out last it running full tilt.

Ironically, the little 4.6 that came in my Mustang again has cross bolted mains.

Ford would have been way ahead of the game in the OHC stuff, except NASCAR banned the 427 DOHC motor after it killed the competition the first time out.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Also, the new Ver II 261 and 362 are state of the art, and the 462 will be over a pound lighter than the 572.

Your views are bias.

390xp is the gold standard right now.
I had high hopes for the 661, but it turned out just ok.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
044 is lighter than a 372 but doesn't handle over a 20" light bar without being nose down all the time.

I will bet good money you are running 20" ES bars, not E bars. My 044/440 + 362 are not nose heavy with the E bar, the ES makes them very nose heavy.

I love my ported 460 for bucking, but no way it handles like a 044 with a 20" E bar.

I don't own any ES bars for that reason (Except a 24" wide nose I use for milling). I run either E bars, or ES light. They (ES Light) are great, but expensive. Unfortunately, seems like you can not get the E bars longer than 20" any more. I have a couple in 24" I really like. Very nice for bucking + milling, and they have the yellow (not green) nose.

I also run a couple of Sugi's, but the 28" Stihl Light is much lighter than the Sugi light.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 462 is “supposedly” using 6202 bearings. They are “supposedly” using 6203’s in the 572’s strengthened bottom end, while keeping similar weight to the current 372 with 6202’s. Interesting if the info is true.

Last edited:

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will bet good money you are running 20" ES bars, not E bars. My 044/440 + 362 are not nose heavy with the E bar, the ES makes them very nose heavy.

I love my ported 460 for bucking, but no way it handles like a 044 with a 20" E bar.

I don't own any ES bars for that reason (Except a 24" wide nose I use for milling). I run either E bars, or ES light. They (ES Light) are great, but expensive. Unfortunately, seems like you can not get the E bars longer than 20" any more. I have a couple in 24" I really like. Very nice for bucking + milling, and they have the yellow (not green) nose.

I also run a couple of Sugi's, but the 28" Stihl Light is much lighter than the Sugi light.

I don't run shorter than 28" normally. No stihl bars here except a 21" 084 and 32" wide nose. The 46 I've used for the last 3 years normally wears a 110dl reduced weight. I honestly have never thought an 044 was that much lighter than a 46. I do a lot of limbing and small wood with 70-85cc and 28-34" lightweight bars. A 50cc and short bar wears me out faster reaching and bending over

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Levi, on the other hand, is totally enamored with the 661's.
He loves to run them. Of course he's never had to work on one, soooo..
They're ok. I tried to like the one I had. Spent $200 on MaxFlow and new mounts, carbs, and a ton of fuel and time to figure out it's not for me.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I honestly have never thought an 044 was that much lighter than a 46. I do a lot of limbing and small wood with 70-85cc and 28-34" lightweight bars.

I think you would like my hybrid with the 28" Stihl Light. Very light weight package for a 28" bar. I think Red Bull's charts showed the Stihl Light bars were the lightest. I can tell you my Sugi 28" light is not even close.

That said we are all built differently. My good friend next door is 6'6" and 300 lbs and thinks nothing of limbing with a 660. I'm not him! In years past I could limb all day with a 044 or 441, now I prefer lighter saws for that. Just the way it is.

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They're ok. I tried to like the one I had. Spent $200 on MaxFlow and new mounts, carbs, and a ton of fuel and time to figure out it's not for me.
Of course this is Levi we're talking about..
Honestly, I think he just likes the way they look..
Thus: equates to like to run. Lol..
He likes shiney things. Like a raccoon.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think you would like my hybrid with the 28" Stihl Light. Very light weight package for a 28" bar. I think Red Bull's charts showed the Stihl Light bars were the lightest. I can tell you my Sugi 28" light is not even close.

That said we are all built differently. My good friend next door is 6'6" and 300 lbs and thinks nothing of limbing with a 660. I'm not him! In years past I could limb all day with a 044 or 441, now I prefer lighter saws for that. Just the way it is.
I've used some hybrids. Never tried one with the 34 to know if it had enough torque for me

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Each one comes with a wrapped cutter. We have them placed in each box so the customer knows how it was cut. Used once. Gotta wash hands before you make them. Has to be in a spot in the oven that nothing (pizza peel) can drop flour on it. Latil gets washed and a cheese bin that hasn't been opened yet. Yup we still can't "guaranty" no gluten but we try like mofos.
Good man!!!!

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chuck are you Celiac too? We should start our own thread on Off Topic with food/menu ideas.

My Cheerios (Canadian) are all still labeled Gluten Free. I eat them everyday and never an issue. As far as I can tell the controversy is that General Mills won't pay to be "certified" Gluten Free so a certain association in Canada (receives the funds from "Certified" companies) claim GM doesn't do enough to monitor the source of their oats.

It is amazing though, how good some companies are. A local pizza joint advertised a new GF crust so I decided to order tonight. They brought me 2 pizzas because the guy used a dirty pizza cutter on the first one so they remade me another one.
Indeed I also have celiac. Remember meeting Jeremy at last years NY gtg.Bummer he got sick. Couldn’t enjoy all the good fun.:(