PAST CT fall GTG Nov 5th 2016

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
3:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All my saws work now, but look likes Eric will be fixing his Huskies at the "mini" GTG. LOL. Dan, you should have had a mini GTG last time so I could fix my saw before showing up for the main event.

Also, Matt- I looked up that bearing on my go-to internet supplier website. The Husqvarna brand bearing/seal is $30, but the number cross references to a Poulan bearing/seal and it's only $19. Think it's the same?
What's up Fred?

It seems I end up working on everyone else's saws... Have yet to work on one of my own.... They are all currently runnin fine. For the case assembly I wanted some help from Dan since I havent done one before. All perfectly clean and new parts excited to see it go together.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok,
Just a thought...Jeff this "other brand" runs ....right ?
It needs a proper intake clamp ...right ?
Why not take it down and CHECK the bearings and seals before we throw good money after bad into a Husky (oops...I said it)
I'm not usually a big fan of reusing bottom end stuff on my saws but ...they are mostly Stihl saws and hold some value...as opposed to "that other brand" that is usual worth the amount of bar oil and mix in the saw.

I've been tricked by bearing and seals before and been blessed as well. I check (clean and degrease then listen to them dry) no matter what. No sense spending $50 in bearings in a $40 saw......unless you have to..

But taking down a saw for chits and giggles...yea I'm up for that.
That's where I'm at Angelo. Taking saws down for chits and giggles. It's a great learning experience.

I'll add my 262 is over 25 years old and was sent to Randy for TLC not too long ago for hot rodding. It's been all gas, oil, and go with no issues for 25 years just normal wear.

The pro huskies are great saws. In New England majority tree crews you see when out and about are husky.

We could easily have a Stihl wrenching session I'm sure there plenty around that could use work or end up a learning project!

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 350's have the issue of the bearings and seals being more or less inseparable once they are put together. So, ideally you'd want to do a pressure and vac test BEFORE taking the saw apart. If the seals check out odds are you will be fine. Sometimes its just easier though to reassemble with new fresh parts... especially the bottom end of a saw.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Husky guys fix their own chit, the Stihl boys just drop their saws off at the dealer when they break. Isn't that what the whole "better dealer support network" is worth against Husqvarna?

They're both reliable, just one of them you can easily look up parts from your arm chair and order online, the other requires a trip to you local service center. As for "better engineered" in Germany, I can disassemble my saws pretty fast, the Stihl vids I see on tear down require twice as many steps.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Far too many tools needed to fix those Hooskies. They must be a mechanics dream. Lol

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The Husky guys fix their own chit, the Stihl boys just drop their saws off at the dealer when they break. Isn't that what the whole "better dealer support network" is worth against Husqvarna?

They're both reliable, just one of them you can easily look up parts from your arm chair and order online, the other requires a trip to you local service center. As for "better engineered" in Germany, I can disassemble my saws pretty fast, the Stihl vids I see on tear down require twice as many steps.

Fred, for me is simple....fasteners and threads.
With a Stihl pro saw, I talk R&R a top end with a T27 and a scrench and feel very confident I won't need various thread repair kits. I literally fear turning screws on a Husky because threads seem so tempermental and variable.

I have most repair manuals on mediacat for Stihl OPE...I've yet to see a husky SM or a system similar(mediacat) ...if you have all the SMs for husky I'd be very interested in then. Yes IPLs are online but not so much with SMs

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@RI Chevy a 346 top end is only 100$ oem. You said you had no money in saw? And btw for the record all you guys joking about screws falling out, my 372 has two years on it being rebuilt and no screws fell out... blue loctite and check em once in a while.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear you Mason. Just a little skeptical of putting it all on plastic.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe have it pressure tested, if it comes out alright, 346xp top end imo.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same here. Gotta learn something every day. Keeps us going forward. Always searching for more. Keeping an open mind. [emoji6]

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mason has it right ...but if you are putting an oem top end on you'll definitely need to do the other mods. New bearings...bearing cup....reseal. ..base gasket fuel line etc etc as I've mentioned

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's where I'm at Angelo. Taking saws down for chits and giggles. It's a great learning experience.

I'll add my 262 is over 25 years old and was sent to Randy for TLC not too long ago for hot rodding. It's been all gas, oil, and go with no issues for 25 years just normal wear.

The pro huskies are great saws. In New England majority tree crews you see when out and about are husky.

We could easily have a Stihl wrenching session I'm sure there plenty around that could use work or end up a learning project!

I've got a pile of them... just more interested in the fast saws!![emoji41]

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. I thought chainsaws were meant to cut wood. Not race.

And your own words were the 345 has cut a pile of wood and been dead reliable. Only reason you stopped using it is you saw a post about a bad intake clamp. I agree with Bill, run it til you hear a leak, I know you pay attention to tune.