AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
3:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
EVERYONE ENJOYED THIS GTG, RIGHT????

WELL....

After speaking to Dan, I'm more than a bit pissed off. Dan Spent around $1500 of his own money on this endeavor (Food, Beverages, Papergoods, etc.).

I spent $280 of my own cash on food and added $50 more in for the grill. It's my donation, I dont want any money back and I realize that I'm luckier than most to be in a position to do this.

Granted, the grill was meant to be a gift, so I can see how some people didnt want to chip in for it. That's understood.

You Guys feel like knowing how much people went into their pockets to donate to the GTG that they ate and drank at, and enjoyed themselves at???

$320 in donations toward his grill and a WHOPPING $130 in donations towards what he layed out so that we could make his yard a mess and have fun.

The portable John was a $100 rental itself. Many ate 2-3 meals that day at the GTG.

Some guys should be ashamed of themselves. Do we really have to start charging an entry fee for these events?

Can't say I'm proud to be a member here right now. Can't say that at all.

RANT OVER.

I was not at this event, but at past ones I have sometimes had trouble identifying where to donate.

If there was not, there should be a donation can/jar in a conspicuous location and I believe most will do the right thing.

Many GTG's in the past were sponsored events, and folks were not asked to contribute. I believe this is changing, and all should be cognizant of it.

Unfortunately, some GTGs have ceased due to the cost + work, including clean up (Bob's for example).

I love these things, but they are not easy to put on, and I always try to contribute some funds and do some positive things like cutting some fire wood (in addition to the cookies).

Damn. Not cool.

I've been fortunate to have a lot of financial help with our GTG. if not, there's just no way in hell I could swing it. Not only is it a hell of a lot of work, it's expensive.

Whoa! That's a lot more than I knew about. Doc, that's just the type of rant that is necessary, thank you. I seriously apologize; other than the grill I didn't know you were looking for contributions for the event. Entry fee really isn't a bad idea. It shouldn't be optional where those costs are involved.

Dan, I will be sending you something and don't tell me otherwise cause I know just where you're at with this. Been there myself, and as Mike says it's why I don't do it anymore. Particularly the clean up as it has to be done by the time we re-open on Monday. It simply outgrew what we could do.

Now my rant: Part of the problem is size, which is why I cringed at the end of the drone video when the "don't miss next year's" invitation flashed on the screen. Last week was about the perfect size for that event; looked like about 20-24 guys there? What happens if 50-60 guys show up next time? More fun or just more crowded? How does Dan deal with that? GTG's used to max out at 15-20 guys. Everyone brought something to eat. Few logs for test cuts was all that was needed as the hanging out and sharing info was more important than cut after cut after cut. Now an event has to be catered and a whole picker load of logs has to be reduced to chips. Kind of gets out of hand.

How big is too big? Don't have the answer. But that is why myself and a few others decided to skip the upstate NY event next week and do something smaller at another location. 120+ last year and it looks like it could break 150 this year. It's just too much. Geez, ya have to wait in line to make a cut. I think there'd be more GTG's out there if people weren't intimidated by the size and expense. They would likely need to be done by invitation to maintain a pre-determined size. The idea is certainly not to exclude folks. But there are probably a lot of guys who could host say a dozen guys but aren't in the position to put an open invitation on the forum and worry about getting overwhelmed.

I hear you loud + clear Bob, but I would hate to limit new blood coming in. I still fondly remember the first one, and I needed to be coaxed to come, it seemed a bit intimidating at first.

Being warmly welcomed by people you did not even know is priceless, and I hope it continues.

I'm cool if 100 or more show up here. We have the room, and can get the logs. @Definitive Dave helps with the cants. Putting in the order early this year to be sure we get poplar.

But.....I get what Bob is saying. It can get overwhelming really quick. Luckily for us @Stihlbro pretty much takes care of the cubed saw racing so I can make sure the food is done.

Hell, I enjoy seeing all these crazy saw nuts in one place.

I just feel bad for Dan.

A $1000 loss, then a day of cleaning up.

WHEN"S THE NEXT ONE BUD?

His paypal is still there. Guys that came, feel free to donate if you'd like.

[emoji20]
I didn’t even attend and I feel like I should send a few sheckels

Sent some $$$ Dan's way. Send whatchya can guys. It would be best if Dan spent $0 on his GTG. Being I was at his shop earlier he did a LOT of organizing to make that shop as inviting as it is!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I’ve read thru the last few pages & it’s evident there was a Great Time had by All.

It’s also evident many were oblivious to the cost of such a Gathering, for whatever reason.

@Spike60,
I hate you & others are skipping the UpState NY GTG.

While I understand you’re point of view, the reason the Upstate NY GTG has become so Popular is because of the more central location, the continued participation of respected members like yourself, & the coverage over the last few years.

Negative Publicity can’t help things.

The guys @ Cutting Edge do a great job at hosting their GTG, the same as Dan, & I’m sure you did.

I propose we all go forward together with a shared commitment to collectively help fund these GTGs we participate in.

I understand the Fitz’ are working on a more clear method for participants to give.

I’d really like to run that 572 of yours next weekend & chew the fat with you & others that are planning on skipping next weekend’s GTG.

Please Reconsider.

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gotta get me a set of bib jeans.

6967bed2aa0eba77ecb504b8b6d65827.jpg

Oh you mean Overalls?

Roundhouse is a good brand.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wood chips and saw dust gettin inbetween my pants and shirt. Stinks when cutting the whole day and it happens right out of the box. [emoji3]

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
6 days Gentlemen, 6 days.

I'm ready! Done 10 Tax Returns already today, and have a big one scheduled for tonight ... I'm ready for it to end, the pace is reckless!!! My head is spinnin!!!

Hold this one for something ... (and, after I'm done), "did I tell you we got married this year"???? Help me!!!!

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm ready! Done 10 Tax Returns already today, and have a big one scheduled for tonight ... I'm ready for it to end, the pace is reckless!!! My head is spinnin!!!

Hold this one for something ... (and, after I'm done), "did I tell you we got married this year"???? Help me!!!!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought 2 pair of Prison Blues. They are OK, but I will try something different next time.