Husqvarna 357xp hybrid build

Tractorsaw1

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jim would you mind showing a picture of your handle bar mounting to cylinder?

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
1:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd rather build another to sell. I'm porting this one to see what its potential is. I'm not going all crazy on it. The ports are smaller than what you'd normally see on a cylinder of that bore size so I'm just doing a little reshaping and I'll also put the ports where they need to be. The main thing is the tiny intake that's about 8-10° too high.
What are the numbers in it now?

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
10:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
What are the numbers in it now?
I don't know what I was thinking when I said that about the intake degree. It may even be a typo. It was more like about 3 degrees. All I have is a bunch of cylinders to match port locations. None of them are on saws to use a degree wheel so I just compare measurements. Before porting and after cutting the squish, this 272 was very close in numbers to a stock 372xpw. The only huge difference was the intake floor being higher.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Jim would you mind showing a picture of your handle bar mounting to cylinder?
I'm redoing that right now. I figured since I'm going to port it after test running that I'd get serious about that after I get the cylinder back off. The concept I was using left me just enough room to fit the Stihl upper av buffer with the little metal flange, but I don't like the range on it so I'm cutting fins to weld a little aluminum dowel so it is capable of using the entire stock spring in the correct location. The rubber Stihl av would have worked well but it would have looked like chit.

Hers a few pics of that progress. The dowel hasn't been cut to length yet.
2016-05-20 13.32.35.jpg 2016-05-20 13.33.08.jpg

Last edited:

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I wonder if this project would be worth doing with a more common 372 cylinder, or even an ms460. Would stroke difference be the limiting factor?

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The 357 and 272 have a 34mm stroke. The others you mentioned are 36mm. The 372 cylinder overlaps the 357 case way too far for it to be possible. The 460 cylinder has an angled exhaust which makes it harder to make a muffler fit it.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oh crap here comes the unconventional hack of the week..so be gentle and don't laugh at me. Lol
I wish one of you exceptional tig welders lived close by.
Rather than wait a week or two for shipping to someone that can weld it I've decided to give this new professional adhesive a shot. If it doesn't hold then no big deal, I'll just clean it up and tig it. But so far so good. I fired it up last night and ran it and it held, so the real test will be today or however long it takes to break it loose.
This stuff is amazing though...You can glue rubber together and it won't break on the bond just like wood glue on wood.
Keep in mind it is only temporary until I buy a welder or meet someone that can do it.
2016-05-22 14.04.26.jpg 2016-05-22 14.04.02.jpg 2016-05-22 14.26.50.jpg
There was a video playing at Napa auto showing a broken water pump on a car glued back together and working with this stuff. The housing was broken clean in two.
I used it to glue a cutting disc to the head of a nail as a mandrel and modded a muffler. The cutting disc wore down to the head and didn't break loose so it seems to be very strong.
I'll have a video of it later today.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It looks like great gains, do you have any pics of the port work, what were your beginning and ending numbers.
The beginning numbers were whatever stock 272 numbers are. I still need to get the degree wheel set up to see what the exact numbers are. I raised the exhaust 6° and lowered the intake floor 4°. The roof of the intake was taken up to the bottom of the skirt at tdc. I took the transfers up just under one degree.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How are you measuring degrees without a wheel? How much room do you have before the ring drops into the intake?

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How are you measuring degrees without a wheel? How much room do you have before the ring drops into the intake?
When a degree converts to a measurement you know how many degrees you went. Plus I wasn't using someone else's numbers or "recipe" to need one, I was using all three 372 cylinder versions for an idea of where to go and none of them are on saws.

As far as the ring locating pins....it isn't running a 272 piston for that to matter. It's running an ms460 piston.

Last edited:

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never said I was measuring degrees without a wheel. When a degree converts to a measurement you know how many degrees you went.

This answers my question, thank you.

As far as the ring locating pins....it isn't running a 272 piston for that to matter. It's running an ms460 piston.

Yes, Im aware. I was merely wondering what room you had to the land.

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
11:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I would imagine that the bottom ring is definitely in the intake, if not both. But I could be wrong.