Husqvarna 357xp hybrid build

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
2:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Clearanceing the cases without taking the crank out does not look graceful, with the piston all the way in the cyl. there is about .180 before freeport so I should be good there. I will finish fitting the cylinder then I will deal with the piston. Thanks for the help.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
12:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Remember to compensate your measurements for the amount of material you'll need to cut from the squish band. The squish band cut I made wasn't for performance purposes, it was so the piston would fit at tdc.

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup I'm considering that, I shouldn't have to take much off the skirts to get it to go round.

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got the cylinder set on there today, then went to work on the piston, took .016 off the skirts before it would cleanly clear the case. Now I gotta see a machinist friend about that squish problem. Chainsaw Jim did you grind a passage in the case to match that impulse hole in the cyl?

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Got the cylinder set on there today, then went to work on the piston, took .016 off the skirts before it would cleanly clear the case. Now I gotta see a machinist friend about that squish problem. Chainsaw Jim did you grind a passage in the case to match that impulse hole in the cyl?
I believe I cut a little trench on the cylinder base up snug against the collar just far enough to reach the spot on the case.

astnmacgto

Earn a living with white powdery substances
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nice saw! And an interesting read for sure, looks like all worked out well and it's a hard charger

Rapid fix is bada**

Is there any differences between the 2159 and the 359/357 that would make it impossible?

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not if the case is the same.

That rapid fix didn't hold. It probably would still be intact if I didn't use the saw for ripping the end of a log down to a cant. When that chain hit the grain end it was grabbing and jerking so hard I thought there were going to be missing teeth.

astnmacgto

Earn a living with white powdery substances
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not if the case is the same.

That rapid fix didn't hold. It probably would still be intact if I didn't use the saw for ripping the end of a log down to a cant. When that chain hit the grain end it was grabbing and jerking so hard I thought there were going to be missing teeth.
I'll have to keep this thread in mind if my 2159 blows up.......

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jim, do you think J B Weld will hold that av stud, that's what I thought I would use. My project suffered a setback but I will get back to it soon.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
3:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Very cool idea, you guys sure are smart! Need to rereat a few times now!

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Jim, do you think J B Weld will hold that av stud, that's what I thought I would use. My project suffered a setback but I will get back to it soon.
I'd think it would do a lot better. I also left the aluminum rod too smooth for a weak bond. I'm thinking I might go with jb weld this time but I'm going to use an anchor drift pin through it and the fins above and below it to help hold.
That is, if I cannot find someone that can weld it without warping the cylinder wall.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'd think it would do a lot better. I also left the aluminum rod too smooth for a weak bond. I'm thinking I might go with jb weld this time but I'm going to use an anchor drift pin through it and the fins above and below it to help hold.
That is, if I cannot find someone that can weld it without warping the cylinder wall.
Before gluing... Drill big holes from every direction and grind all over the glue end. It works pretty well. I glued a chunk back into a case half of a quadsport one time like that. I also mixed in some cut up fiberglass mat and made it like a jbweld tiger hair putty.

SHOVELHEAD

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Jim,
Its been awhile since you built this HYBRID.
Do you still have it?
If so how is it running, has there been any other issues?

This Looks like a Awesome Build!
I'm locating the parts to build one. I'll be using my CS 2159 that is currently sporting a 2156 p/c.
Is there anything I should consider doing different, looking back from how you built yours?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I do still have it, and it's been sitting in the same spot since the 2016 gtg. Lol
It needs a set of crank seals and the av handlebar mount for the cylinder welded in place. I'm going to go through that saw in the next couple months and put the degree wheel on it for a final round of modding.
One thing I want to put an emphasis on is how much the 361 muffler needs worked to fit. I had to put it on a beater bag to do some reshaping with a ball peen hammer. I could have hacked the case up a little bit to make more room for the muffler.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just out of curiosity. What carb did you end up deciding to run with?

For the av mount. You can cap the intake and exhaust, put a old spark plug in. Drop a bare piston in the bore. Fill it with water and weld up a pad on the cylinder . I wouldn't do it all at once but a few starts and stops and it will be done quickly. Especially if you pour fresh water into it between welds. The piston in the cylinder is just for extra caution. It can probably be done without it, but I've always used one when welding up weird things on cylinders.

Just start slow and don't push the pedal hard until after you have a good pad started. I'm sure lots of guys on here run a tig and know the drill.

Steven