Battery saw solution

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know anyone around here who owns a Stihl msa300, which I suppose is the most powerful battery saw available. Do you guys think any dealer would allow one to buy such a saw and return if it doesn't cut the mustard, scuze the pun? If such a return isn't allowed, I would be hesitant to buy such an expensive saw. I have used and owned some battery saws, just curious about this one. I know it cuts softwoods impressively, but I cut hardwoods. Felling, bucking even small or medium size hardwoods is the goal.

It's amazing how every tool manufacturer these days is making a battery chainsaw! And they are FAR cheaper than a Stihl. For all I know, there is a MUCH cheaper battery saw that does fine. And any battery saw purchase will require extra batteries. I don't need to cut all day but a couple hours would be nice!

EDIT: I did come across a post online where a guy was talking about a Stihl dealer that did allow people to test a battery saw at his place and he had some logs, so, I guess such a thing does exist.

Last edited:

Oldbuzzard

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve owned/used the MSA300, MSA220, Husky 540i, T540i, 350i Power Axe, as well as some little Echo and Ryobi homeowner stuff. Not trying to knock the MSA300 but it is horribly expensive, heavy, and it sucks batteries. I’m keeping the one I have for special situations but I would never buy another one. IMHO the best battery saw for the money is the Husky 350i Power Axe. I own five right now, have been using them for two years. They have a two position power switch and I use low 90% of the time. They have been available on eBay lately for around $300, full kit. Otherwise you buy them at Lowe’s for $450 list IIRC.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve owned/used the MSA300, MSA220, Husky 540i, T540i, 350i Power Axe, as well as some little Echo and Ryobi homeowner stuff. Not trying to knock the MSA300 but it is horribly expensive, heavy, and it sucks batteries. I’m keeping the one I have for special situations but I would never buy another one. IMHO the best battery saw for the money is the Husky 350i Power Axe. I own five right now, have been using them for two years. They have a two position power switch and I use low 90% of the time. They have been available on eBay lately for around $300, full kit. Otherwise you buy them at Lowe’s for $450 list IIRC.
Have you found a significant difference between the 350i and 540i? Power, longevity, chip-clearance, or otherwise?

I'm waiting to get to try a 542iXPG in the near future. Dunno if ill buy one, as it partially depends on the battery platform (new or existing), and if it actually clears chips better and without clogging.

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless you need to operate in an environment where noise is a problem, why not get a tried & true gas-powered unit?
I own plenty of those. Battery saw would be kept in truck. Plus, taking on trails, all you need is bar oil. And also using at home and not polluting the neighborhood with a screamer, lol.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless you need to operate in an environment where noise is a problem, why not get a tried & true gas-powered unit?
Gas is $5+/ gal again here. Didn't dip below $4.69 this winter. At 2 gallons of gas per week plus mix-oil, that $300 battery pays for itself in ~30-40weeks.

Edit: there's little gain from a gas-powered 40cc compared to a battery-powered 40cc

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the 350i cut better without bogging or getting in a bind like the 540i or are they the same? Are the 540i batteries usable in the 350i?

EDIT: As for the battery question, I read online where a guy said the BLI300 batteries for the 540i saw do fit the 350i saw.

Last edited:

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Makita 36v top handle and Greenworks 80v work well enough. They are no gas saw, but are much quieter and no fuel to have to carry. Great for in town trimming, quick, quiet, and convient. They will not replace a 2511, nor 200t, much less a 70+ cc saw.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Makita 36v top handle and Greenworks 80v work well enough. They are no gas saw, but are much quieter and no fuel to have to carry. Great for in town trimming, quick, quiet, and convient. They will not replace a 2511, nor 200t, much less a 70+ cc saw.

Don - between the Makita and Greenworks, which do you recommend?

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would go with whichever brand I have the most batteries for. Or will take the most tools. Have at least two batteries with one on standby.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's the gas equivalent to the msa300? Maybe I should say, what size gas saw does it compare to?

Greenworks has a 60cc equivalent saw for 499.99.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
J
Don - between the Makita and Greenworks, which do you recommend?
Jacob, I have two Makita's. Both 36v, only because I already had tools with this battery platform. The top handle cuts like a 30cc gas saw and is pretty nice. The rear handle of this Makita has inconvient controls and I do not recommend it. The electrical cutoff kicks in pretty easy on the rear handle making it frustrating. I don't generally push a top handle much. However the tophandle is more like a pro saw and will take noticably more push and balances well with a 12" bar. I use .043. With a pair of 3 amp batteries I have made over 200 cuts in an average of 2" fruit tree wood, with the batteries still working fine.

The Greenworks 80v consumer saw wears a 20" bar and cuts like a 45cc - 50cc saw. It can be pushed pretty hard before its protective cutoff kicks in. The 82v commercial is supposed to cut like a 65cc saw and they have a new model that is supposed to have 70cc power. My 80v feels like 024 as far as weight is concerned. It balances well. I'm guessing it will cut a 1/4 cord of 12" to 18" firewood with 4 amp and at least double that with the 8 amp. I brought this saw to the gtg last year and while reluctant to try it, most that did came away impressed.

I bought a 80v Greenworks steel deck mower and it is lighter than my old mag deck Lawnboy. It has the same power as the Lawnboy and hell, it's even the same color. The Lawnboy sounds better and, when using Blendzall, smells better though.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
J

Jacob, I have two Makita's. Both 36v, only because I already had tools with this battery platform. The top handle cuts like a 30cc gas saw and is pretty nice. The rear handle of this Makita has inconvient controls and I do not recommend it. The electrical cutoff kicks in pretty easy on the rear handle making it frustrating. I don't generally push a top handle much. However the tophandle is more like a pro saw and will take noticably more push and balances well with a 12" bar. I use .043. With a pair of 3 amp batteries I have made over 200 cuts in an average of 2" fruit tree wood, with the batteries still working fine.

The Greenworks 80v consumer saw wears a 20" bar and cuts like a 45cc - 50cc saw. It can be pushed pretty hard before its protective cutoff kicks in. The 82v commercial is supposed to cut like a 65cc saw and they have a new model that is supposed to have 70cc power. My 80v feels like 024 as far as weight is concerned. It balances well. I'm guessing it will cut a 1/4 cord of 12" to 18" firewood with 4 amp and at least double that with the 8 amp. I brought this saw to the gtg last year and while reluctant to try it, most that did came away impressed.

I bought a 80v Greenworks steel deck mower and it is lighter than my old mag deck Lawnboy. It has the same power as the Lawnboy and hell, it's even the same color. The Lawnboy sounds better and, when using Blendzall, smells better though.
I'd be really interested to try the greenworks 80v you mention. I've read about their new 70cc equivalent. If I wasn't battery-committed on Husqy.......

The 540i is 40v. Longer battery life, which for most of my jobs is critical, but at the expense of a little extra oomph. I bet it's much nicer doing firewood. I've had the 540i fully buried (16" bar) in hardwood and have cut some 20-24" trees with it just to prove it can be done. Can notice the lack of torque at times, combined with Husqvarna's own admitted less-than-satisfactory chip-clearance with the clutch cover. I love the saw, but I'm hoping the 542i is truly an improved update.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd be really interested to try the greenworks 80v you mention. I've read about their new 70cc equivalent. If I wasn't battery-committed on Husqy.......

The 540i is 40v. Longer battery life, which for most of my jobs is critical, but at the expense of a little extra oomph. I bet it's much nicer doing firewood. I've had the 540i fully buried (16" bar) in hardwood and have cut some 20-24" trees with it just to prove it can be done. Can notice the lack of torque at times, combined with Husqvarna's own admitted less-than-satisfactory chip-clearance with the clutch cover. I love the saw, but I'm hoping the 542i is truly an improved update.
I've heard good things about the Husky battery saws, and about the Echo as well. I am pretty sure they will eat my Makita's lunch, but I think it comes down to what platform do you already have.

As far as Greenworks go, I think anyone on these saw forum's are likely to want the 80 or 82 volt models. The 82v batteries are supposed to be constructed differently and out of other materials compared to the 80v. I dunno if the discharge quicker, however the chain speed is repoted to be high, which is where batrery saws generally fall short.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The BLI200/300 are rated for 1500 cycles, newer cells which is better than the traditional 500 cycles.

Does not matter which platform you have, nothing destroys a battery faster than a fast charger. I went out of my way to buy the slowest Husky 80w charger for both the 200/300 batteries. Three years of heavy use, 200 takes around 2.30hours to recharge, still at its peak as when new.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The BLI200/300 are rated for 1500 cycles, newer cells which is better than the traditional 500 cycles.

Does not matter which platform you have, nothing destroys a battery faster than a fast charger. I went out of my way to buy the slowest Husky 80w charger for both the 200/300 batteries. Three years of heavy use, 200 takes around 2.30hours to recharge, still at its peak as when new.
Which model charger?

It takes the QC500 about an hour +/- to charge the Bli300. Any way I can improve the health and longevity of the batteries is good.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Even my own QC250 with active cooling is too fast for the 200/300 series.

I personally use the QC80, about 2:30h for the 200, about 4:30h for the 300.

May not work for a business or if in a time pinch, but good for me.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Even my own QC250 with active cooling is too fast for the 200/300 series.

I personally use the QC80, about 2:30h for the 200, about 4:30h for the 300.

May not work for a business or if in a time pinch, but good for me.
I guess it's not surprising they sell the charger with the kit that kills the battery the fastest.

I have a qc80 with fan that came with the 350iB, so I'll start using that when I can. I'm on solar now, so the lower draw could be advantageous at times in the winter, and not an issue at all as we're going into summer.

sundance

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know anyone around here who owns a Stihl msa300, which I suppose is the most powerful battery saw available. Do you guys think any dealer would allow one to buy such a saw and return if it doesn't cut the mustard, scuze the pun? If such a return isn't allowed, I would be hesitant to buy such an expensive saw. I have used and owned some battery saws, just curious about this one. I know it cuts softwoods impressively, but I cut hardwoods. Felling, bucking even small or medium size hardwoods is the goal.

It's amazing how every tool manufacturer these days is making a battery chainsaw! And they are FAR cheaper than a Stihl. For all I know, there is a MUCH cheaper battery saw that does fine. And any battery saw purchase will require extra batteries. I don't need to cut all day but a couple hours would be nice!

EDIT: I did come across a post online where a guy was talking about a Stihl dealer that did allow people to test a battery saw at his place and he had some logs, so, I guess such a thing does exist.
@livemusic simple answer to your question about returning the saw: "Would you purchase a saw as new that someone else had tried out and returned?"