Husqvarna 357xp hybrid build

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am wondering what the stroke difference is if any and if the base bolt pattern is the same or close enough to make it work. Should be fun

sunfish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I am wondering what the stroke difference is if any and if the base bolt pattern is the same or close enough to make it work. Should be fun
Stroke and base bolt pattern are different enough to make this interesting & difficult.

Pretty sure it has been done before though.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
8:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The stroke is actually the same and the bolt pattern overlaps each hole enough to make it without a drastic modification. The transfers will not be a problem as the 272 cylinder overlaps the case openings with plenty of room to spare.
I'll find out when I bolt the cylinder down but so far the squish is even looking like it will end up perfect without milling.
To me this is no more difficult than a 440/460 hybrid build....so far.
I'll figure something out with the mounting boss for the handlebar.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm not sure which carb I'm going to use yet, so I'm not sure what I'm going to need to do. I may hog it out and epoxy the outside of the port to a round shape to strap a rubber boot around it. Or just go with the original intake block which I think would be the better idea.

sunfish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The stroke is actually the same and the bolt pattern overlaps each hole enough to make it without a drastic modification. The transfers will not be a problem as the 272 cylinder overlaps the case openings with plenty of room to spare.
I'll find out when I bolt the cylinder down but so far the squish is even looking like it will end up perfect without milling.
To me this is no more difficult than a 440/460 hybrid build....so far.
I'll figure something out with the mounting boss for the handlebar.
Well, this is cool. I just assumed the stroke was diff. Very interested now!

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I would consider the Tillotson hs from either same saw, or as long as it has the low idle adjustment. You have plenty of options and I think either could work. Certainly gonna take some work, and as I'm typing this I believe this cylinder swap has been done before, I just can't remember when but believe it was from the Nova Scotia area.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I would consider the Tillotson hs from either same saw, or as long as it has the low idle adjustment. You have plenty of options and I think either could work. Certainly gonna take some work, and as I'm typing this I believe this cylinder swap has been done before, I just can't remember when but believe it was from the Nova Scotia area.
I would really like to see what that saw was like. I would never imagine I'm the first to do this. And it sure does suck that I can't find another example to drool over. Lol

Welder56

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score

@Basher was this you??