Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
10:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure yet. I'm thinking just set the squish with a base cut and throw it back together for short term. Until I can pick up a second one. I posted one saw for sale tonight. Will post a couple more. If just one sells I will buy another one of these. As I see a lot of potential here but initial thought Is .050 off base. 108/128-130/where ever intake lands.

Sounds solid.

I would raise the secondary to 128. drop the gasket, and see if it picks up. if you don't like it, you will have plenty left to stagger taking .050 off later.

I'm gonna guess that stagger has way more to do with emissions than performance.

That have 1 ring pin exhaust side and the other intake?

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
9:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Not sure yet. I'm thinking just set the squish with a base cut and throw it back together for short term. Until I can pick up a second one. I posted one saw for sale tonight. Will post a couple more. If just one sells I will buy another one of these. As I see a lot of potential here but initial thought Is .050 off base. 108/128-130/where ever intake lands.
Wait ! What is for sale? Where?

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds solid.

I would raise the secondary to 128. drop the gasket, and see if it picks up. if you don't like it, you will have plenty left to stagger taking .050 off later.

I'm gonna guess that stagger has way more to do with emissions than performance.

That have 1 ring pin exhaust side and the other intake?
Yes top ring is middle intake and bottom ring is in line with piston skirt edge on exhaust.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the thread Carl.

Is the Coil limited?

Other than weight Joe, how do you see the windowed piston helping? It's gonna push charge around cylinder extension and up through the case fed lowers.

Carl, how are the tunnels looking vs. the 490? Are they bigger and do they make a less abrupt turn into the cylinder?

These saws seem to not sell after all this work. I listed my 490 complete with warranty at my cost with no labor or consumable charge since May. It's just sitting.

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Is the Coil limited?

Other than weight Joe, how do you see the windowed piston helping? It's gonna push charge around cylinder extension and up through the case fed lowers.

Carl, how are the tunnels looking vs. the 490? Are they bigger and do they make a less abrupt turn into the cylinder?

These saws seem to not sell after all this work. I listed my 490 complete with warranty at my cost with no labor or consumable charge since May. It's just sitting.
On the coil. In stock forum I never hit a limiter. We will find out though. Tunnels are very nice. Bigger than the 490/500 but still not sure why the blast the secondaries in at such a steep angle. As far as selling goes. Idc. Lol. I liked my 500p and even if I buy a second one. Most likely I'll keep at least 1. The 500P wouldn't keep up with my 5105s when done. But that said. I really liked running it as it was simple,light and nimble. If someone would run your saw they would fall in love.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
On the coil. In stock forum I never hit a limiter. We will find out though. Tunnels are very nice. Bigger than the 490/500 but still not sure why the blast the secondaries in at such a steep angle. As far as selling goes. Idc. Lol. I liked my 500p and even if I buy a second one. Most likely I'll keep at least 1. The 500P wouldn't keep up with my 5105s when done. But that said. I really liked running it as it was simple,light and nimble. If someone would run your saw they would fall in love.
I'm am wondering if they ramp the secondary up so much to help blow burnt gasses out to make room for the power making gasses

Miller Mod Saws

Chainsaw Masseuse
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm am wondering if they ramp the secondary up so much to help blow burnt gasses out to make room for the power making gasses
Could! Idk. The rule of thumb is the more angled the trans the broader the rpm band will be. Maybe 1 flat and 1 super steep is a broad power band configuration. Lol.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Is the Coil limited?

@WSE15 showed a tach pic of 14,700 said it just ran out of fuel.

Doubt it is a limited coil, if it is that extra 1000+rpm is gonna be beneficial on this size saw anyway.

When I seen the piston on the ipl, figures for sure it was a center fed quad jug. Wondering if the piston is any lighter at all? full size pin, seems plenty thick around the windows.

Don't really see the windows helping much with the way this jug is..

Transfer tunnels /outlet look really similar to the 590. without the relief on the lower tunnels or the stagger.

590 really like a symmetric opening. from the wash pic posted, it does not appear the secondary has much flow once the small primary opens.

Feel it will really pickup opening flat or 2* stagger, think more than that is killing secondary flow.

That can also backfire, with enough pressure the fresh charge can "cut" through the burnt gas and exit the cylinder. leaving a bunch of already but gas to mix with fresh charge in the chamber.

Echo is not above the epa here. They have to come up with ways to pass the "sniff" tests without going strato. Have a feeling that is the reason for such plugged up mufflers, coupled with less burnt gas being expelled. Makes it easier to pass the emissions. Just my take on what they trying to do.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Ok boys. This maybe a super slow build thread. As I really like what im seeing so I may hold off doing any drastic changes till I can sell a couple saws and buy another one. That said. Let's get started. @WSE15 could you post up a few of the exterior pics?
Just to get my head round this... is the cs 501p the US version of what we can get in Europe ? or is it a US saw only ?
The UK Echo site info ...
Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 13.35.13.png

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just to get my head round this... is the cs 501p the US version of what we can get in Europe ? or is it a US saw only ?
The UK Echo site info ...
View attachment 40207

Pretty much, we get the 501p you get the 501sx.

I'm sure it is very minor differences if any at all.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Pretty much, we get the 501p you get the 501sx.

I'm sure it is very minor differences if any at all.
Perhaps if you and Mr Miller see any on the basic spec sheet they could be posted up. Very interesting thread by the way :thumbsup: