Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The boys have most of the interior out.

Behind the driver's seat is bad rusted....but we're going to be cutting most of the floor out anyway.

The window has been down for ten years.....so I'm surprised it's not worse.

IMG-20190216-WA0023.jpg IMG-20190216-WA0022.jpg IMG-20190216-WA0021.jpg IMG-20190216-WA0020.jpg

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back in my dirt track days we would let the kids and friends help strip out the car then pull the body off the frame.
We then loaded body and frame on the trailer and took it over to a friends old lumber yard to sandblast everything.
Had sand coming out of every crevice in the car and us for a week!
Made welding the cage and brackets as well as painting much easier.

Wish i still had the time and energy it took for those builds as well as the money.

As for spools, you are trying yo get the car to hook up and go straight. We put 2 to 3" of tire stagger across the rear to get the car to go in circles.

Go fast turn left!

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
12:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Automotive archeology is a lot of fun. In the late 80's, I worked at a local mom and pop wrecking yard. My favorite find there was an original
working Blaupunkt two-channel AM radio in a 1948 Chevy 3800 Stakeside. I think it was a 6 volt.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
2:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back in my dirt track days we would let the kids and friends help strip out the car then pull the body off the frame.
We then loaded body and frame on the trailer and took it over to a friends old lumber yard to sandblast everything.
Had sand coming out of every crevice in the car and us for a week!
Made welding the cage and brackets as well as painting much easier.

Wish i still had the time and energy it took for those builds as well as the money.

As for spools, you are trying yo get the car to hook up and go straight. We put 2 to 3" of tire stagger across the rear to get the car to go in circles.

Go fast turn left!

I wish I had enough air compressor to blast with. :(

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Blasting takes a bunch is air.
This setup had a 5/8" nozzle, if i remember right. Better hang on to the hose or risk life or limb.
Had a 80x100' slab that was usually covered with a foot of sand.

Blasting is a dirty job. The power bill for a large compressor will scare you too.
This place was a 35 acre lumber yard, the air compressors were there when he bought the yard.