High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Echo Top Handle Discussion

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
4:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Now having said all of this, Dad's old 039 Stihl that was purchased new in roughly 1993 put an inordinate amount of Oak and Hedge on the ground for firewood before it was flambe'd in a truck fire. I do miss having it for sentimental reasons, but with the inventory now, it would only be used for sentimental reasons.

The long and short of Echo, is until there's enough market exposure to GOOD equipment, which they seems to be making now, too' many people (via the Pavlovian training of countless advertising dollars) will ignorantly "know" that because it's neither a Stihl or a Husky, it's not worth the investment. They couldn't be more wrong, but they'll never know that until/unless they "learn" it via a hands-on Epiphany. Just like too' many people "know" that JD tractors are the best, regardless of the rest of the field... Amazingly there seems to be an inverse correlation regarding the personal experience of those who tend to espouse the knowledge.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Comical ending to this story I figured I share with you guys. You never know where a deal breaker might come from. We were ready to do something but the sticking point became buying Echo displays and the concept of "exclusive real estate".

Those of you who have seen our store know that we have these verticle cement pillars to deal with and all of our slat wall is custom cut to fit between them. Nothing is divisible by 4 and no displays from anyone will fit anywhere. Building out from the wall only crowds an already tight show room. What we have is clean, and though the space is limited, we make it work. We have a saw section, and a battery section on one side. The other side sees triple duty for trimmers in the Spring and Summer, leaf blowers in the Fall, and maple sugaring supplies Dec through March. Oil goes on the oil shelf. There's a 4 ft section of slat wall for trimmer line and heads.

And this is where I have a problem with the exclusive real estate idea. We own the walls, not Echo, not Husky, not Red Max. The idea that Echo should own 16 ft of wall space that I can't use for anything else is the real deal breaker here. Husky doesn't even get exclusive space. (Hey, you guys want to rent some space, we can talk. LOL)

But I get it in the sense that companies have rules and there are times that those rules don't mesh with the way we do things. But in our store, we make the rules. I'm fully capable of merchandizing product so it will sell.

And personally, I hate getting bogged down with nitpicking stuff like this. It's only a waste of everyone's time. So, I told them today we are gonna take a pass on Echo. Some guys will no doubt post some ideas about saving the deal, and all posts are welcome, cause we're all just having fun here. But I'm not looking to do that. When I stick a fork in something, believe me, it's done. :)

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My question is, does ECHO really make a true PRO saw? They sll just seem to be the same.
Disclaimer:
I have no real experience with ECHO.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hard to say Jeff. I'm not up on them enough myself, and I'm not going to be either at this juncture. LOL

My impression is they build a saw with pro quality, but they don't go as far up the ladder with the pro features and performance as we are used to with Husky and Stihl.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Comical ending to this story I figured I share with you guys. You never know where a deal breaker might come from. We were ready to do something but the sticking point became buying Echo displays and the concept of "exclusive real estate".

Those of you who have seen our store know that we have these verticle cement pillars to deal with and all of our slat wall is custom cut to fit between them. Nothing is divisible by 4 and no displays from anyone will fit anywhere. Building out from the wall only crowds an already tight show room. What we have is clean, and though the space is limited, we make it work. We have a saw section, and a battery section on one side. The other side sees triple duty for trimmers in the Spring and Summer, leaf blowers in the Fall, and maple sugaring supplies Dec through March. Oil goes on the oil shelf. There's a 4 ft section of slat wall for trimmer line and heads.

And this is where I have a problem with the exclusive real estate idea. We own the walls, not Echo, not Husky, not Red Max. The idea that Echo should own 16 ft of wall space that I can't use for anything else is the real deal breaker here. Husky doesn't even get exclusive space. (Hey, you guys want to rent some space, we can talk. LOL)

But I get it in the sense that companies have rules and there are times that those rules don't mesh with the way we do things. But in our store, we make the rules. I'm fully capable of merchandizing product so it will sell.

And personally, I hate getting bogged down with nitpicking stuff like this. It's only a waste of everyone's time. So, I told them today we are gonna take a pass on Echo. Some guys will no doubt post some ideas about saving the deal, and all posts are welcome, cause we're all just having fun here. But I'm not looking to do that. When I stick a fork in something, believe me, it's done. :)
What a bunch of dicks lol they should recognize a sale is a sale and that people buying equipment want to pick up a saw and look at them off a nice level shelf. And Echo display shelves are wonkier than *s-word with them goofy cutouts.

My question is, does ECHO really make a true PRO saw? They sll just seem to be the same.
Disclaimer:
I have no real experience with ECHO.

Magnesium cases and adjustable oilers they have so I'd say that pro. Now some of there saws ain't the fastest i.e. the 680 or 800 but there built to take the abuse of work.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I hear you on this Bob. I deal with a few vendors that want dedicated wall space and don’t understand that it is our showroom and we have tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on displays in our buildings. We have in the last few years added a few manufacturers free standing displays but only when they are free.

Vendors often forget they know nothing about retailing to your customers, only you do. You are best suited to decide not only what products to offer but how to display them too.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
True. I always thought if they weren't a clamshell and had a mag case and built a little more HD that was the "Pro" saw?
But I am jaded a bit I guess. Lol

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What a bunch of dicks lol they should recognize a sale is a sale and that people buying equipment want to pick up a saw and look at them off a nice level shelf. And Echo display shelves are wonkier than *s-word with them goofy cutouts.

Hey Dub, those displays will be even wonkier in our store cause the floor isn't all that level. Especially up close to the walls. Poor guy would spend half a day trying to shim the things to stay in place. Would be a nightmare. LOL

And, it's a curious sticking point for them to dig their heals in to say the least. Warren was saying this afternoon, "Hey it's their loss, not ours." Sounds a little cocky, but it's essentially true, and here's why.

They have no dealer in this market period. Probably a 30-40 mile radius. I mean it's just wide open. So, they've really got nothing happening here at all. Absolutely nothing.

We do 600+ units of Husky and Red Max a year consistantly. We could give them an easy 100 units with hardly even trying. But I guess they'd rather just stay at zero. More important to stick to their policies and procedures than sell product.

Good that we learned about this early, cause I don't like to deal with companies that are too fussy with this kind of stuff. :)

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
True. I always thought if they weren't a clamshell and had a mag case and built a little more HD that was the "Pro" saw?
But I am jaded a bit I guess. Lol

This site can do it to ya lol. But really if some asked me for the best bang for your buck new saw I'd say 490 or 590. They have got Husky and stihl beat on build materials and quality at that price point. If you are bored at HD take a look at them.

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Dub, those displays will be even wonkier in our store cause the floor isn't all that level. Especially up close to the walls. Poor guy would spend half a day trying to shim the things to stay in place. Would be a nightmare. LOL

And, it's a curious sticking point for them to dig their heals in to say the least. Warren was saying this afternoon, "Hey it's their loss, not ours." Sounds a little cocky, but it's essentially true, and here's why.

They have no dealer in this market period. Probably a 30-40 mile radius. I mean it's just wide open. So, they've really got nothing happening here at all. Absolutely nothing.

We do 600+ units of Husky and Red Max a year consistantly. We could give them an easy 100 units with hardly even trying. But I guess they'd rather just stay at zero. More important to stick to their policies and procedures than sell product.

Good that we learned about this early, cause I don't like to deal with companies that are too fussy with this kind of stuff. :)

:facepalm: talk about a missed opportunity on there part.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Spike,
I don't doubt the veracity of your statement for a second. I do find it curious though, that a dealer near me is an OPE dealer, selling Toro, Walker, Stihl, Echo and Honda products (in addition to Green Mountain Pellet Grills). They have a tiny 4'w - 6't display with about 6 saws (2511T, 355T, 501P, and the 590-620 lineup). They have none of the echo display crap (I do know what you're referring to) in any way. A simple sign, the tools, some Red Armor and that's about it.

I wonder if "older" deals didn't include the tacky gratuitous shelving, and in a misguided attempt at advertising and visual appeal, the "new" deals (almost as bad as FDR's) require it? They may think that they're doing a smart thing and may have not had any honest feedback yet. I'm not rooting for them or arguing for you to reconsider your position in the least, I just find the detail oddly specific and surely for a reason (though likely a bad one).

Wow... That's just asinine.

Edit: @Dub11 can back me up on this one as He's likely been in Jim's Toro...

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This site can do it to ya lol. But really if some asked me for the best bang for you buck new saw I'd say 490 or 590. They have got Husky and stihl eat on build materials and quality at that price point. If you are bored at HD take a look at them.
I look at them all the time when I walk by them at HD. Lol. But they just aren't doing anything for me.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dealer near me sells Stihl, ECHO, and a multitude of other lawn care ope. Not sure how they get away with it.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spike,
I don't doubt the veracity of your statement for a second. I do find it curious though, that a dealer near me is an OPE dealer, selling Toro, Walker, Stihl, Echo and Honda products (in addition to Green Mountain Pellet Grills). They have a tiny 4'w - 6't display with about 6 saws (2511T, 355T, 501P, and the 590-620 lineup). They have none of the echo display crap (I do know what you're referring to) in any way. A simple sign, the tools, some Red Armor and that's about it.

I wonder if "older" deals didn't include the tacky gratuitous shelving, and in a misguided attempt at advertising and visual appeal, the "new" deals (almost as bad as FDR's) require it? They may think that they're doing a smart thing and may have not had any honest feedback yet. I'm not rooting for them or arguing for you to reconsider your position in the least, I just find the detail oddly specific and surely for a reason (though likely a bad one).

Wow...

I have a dealer close to me that sounds just like this and I think the way they avoid the longer shelves that I see at the 2 Echo only dealers is because they have a 20-30 foot long aisle of string trimmers.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I look at them all the time when I walk by them at HD. Lol. But they just aren't doing anything for me.
you gotta at least scout out the Competition from time to time

Dealer near me sells Stihl, ECHO, and a multitude of other lawn care ope. Not sure how they get away with it.
I had asked my local Husqvarna dealer once how he gets away with selling Stihl and he told me he moves enough units and that one time one of them tried to make him choose and he told them to take there product with them now. Needless to say they didn't lol.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I believe Echo makes some true pro style saws. Take the 501p for example. Mag case, adjustable oiler, aluminum handle, captive bar nuts, etc. Just like the pro saws from the big 2. All that and it's one of the lighter 50cc pro saws out there. They aren't sexy to look at. They really are the honda civic of saws. Dependable hard working tools.