Country flag

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just disassembled my 1/4" & 1/2" ratchet heads from two socket sets to give them some grease. I cleaned everything and packed lithium grease in everywhere I could. Even around the spring and ratchet arms. Is this what should be done? Now both ratchets a leaking a little grease and the spring is not working as strong. They still work fine but I wonder wether I over did the grease a little? Any thoughts?

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
3:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just disassembled my 1/4" & 1/2" ratchet heads from two socket sets to give them some grease. I cleaned everything and packed lithium grease in everywhere I could. Even around the spring and ratchet arms. Is this what should be done? Now both ratchets a leaking a little grease and the spring is not working as strong. They still work fine but I wonder wether I over did the grease a little? Any thoughts?
I use 30 wt oil is all I ever use???? I don't know bout grease

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
clean the guts up really well and reassemble with them clean and dry. dip the head of the ratchet in a bucket of new motor oil and lay the ratchet on a rag so the majority of the oil runs out and just leaves a film of oil on the internal parts. thats all there is to it....repeat the oiling process on occasion...maybe once every few months....and tear it down for a complete cleaning once a year or whenever you notice it not working smooth.

cantgitright

i am Mastermind's other profile
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
ive been using LPS chain mate...its a moly lube...works real good, I clean mine out once a year, lightly spray everything, and put it back together, until the next year.
upload_2016-4-6_21-27-59.png