srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
11:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spline drive is still iffy on round corner bolts.... I find they suck on oil plugs and such. I still use them on most fasteners because I can't find a better set.

Another tool you should all buy is this ratchet from harbor freight. I've broken 10 or so in 6yrs, but lifetime warranty is great and the ratchet is invaluable....View attachment 241720

How do you get stuff warrantied with HF? I've lost a wrench or two and I'd like to replace them but I don't know where to buy just one wrench instead of a set.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The wrench sets are possibly their worst thing as far as a slam dunk purchase. They are missing three sizes in there long set which I have a few of. I'm a scrounger so I am happy to get three sets of them and then for a while cripe distributing had the sizes they were missing in gearwrench without the ratcheting end. I filled in all my sets. Harbor freight Pittsburgh brand hand tools are lifetime at the store. They will just hand you a new one. that ratchet that I put up above is not the strongest one in the world but I have reefed on them pretty good and not broken them, and then maybe the next one it doesn't take that much to break it.

I'm certainly not trying to tell everyone that Pittsburgh tools are just as good as snap-on matco or any other top-tier brand. I just think they have their place.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Educate me about Klutch, made by who? I see they make a flex head set.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you want an offset box end and reverse switch? I'm looking for new sets myself and those are my 2 things they must have. I also want a full set no skipped sizes. I'm going to upgrade from my 12 point reversible switch gearwrench sets. I got my gearwrench sets 2 years ago for half price at advanced auto parts on sale. I recently used them outside on a dirt road in sandy dusty conditions and one ratchet completely locked up and another is hard to get the switch to work and doesn't ratchet smoothly. I have found the open ends to be okay but nothing great. I think I'm going to get sets from Carlyle at Napa. They have 6 point box ends and open and box ends have anti slip features. Lifetime warranty and napa is 5 minutes from the shop I work at, if they don't have it that day it will be in the next day. Part number for metric set is rwr612m. Sometimes they are on sale in napas real deals flyer. Others sets I was looking at are from Capri tools and tekton. I've looked at sets on the Cornwell and Snap on trucks and they seem nice but are pricey.
I have the ones from NAPA. Great wrenches so far.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The long wrenches all come down to warranty availability...

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am back on this wrench project again with the forever Black Friday sales, who has the best deal. I want complete sets SAE and metric. Do the tool trucks have used items on them? Like repo's or trade ins?

Lcfd1124

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am back on this wrench project again with the forever Black Friday sales, who has the best deal. I want complete sets SAE and metric. Do the tool trucks have used items on them? Like repo's or trade ins?
Snap On has repo sales

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I've had the same Metric (up to 22mm) and SAE (up to 1") Gearwrenches for 19 years now, rigid head, no switch. I have had ZERO problems.
I can't believe I haven't lost the 10mm one

I bought the 22mm one in 2001 just for doing O2 sensors, cut the lead and use the ratcheting end to reef on it, the thing still works. That was the only one I really beat on with any regularity, I usually try not to break fasteners loose with the ratcheting end.

These wrenches have been with me in race shops, then machine shops, then ten years of welding/millwright, they're all at home now cuz I'm an engineer these days.

I'd buy more if I needed a second set set but.............

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What brands if you where only choosing 6pt? Tekton is one of the only i am seeing.

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I never saw 6 pt ones. I hate 12 pt sockets for some reason but the 12 pt box end of a wrench never bothered me

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like the Carlyle flex head is 6 pt also, but not the Channellock. So they arent exactly the same.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carlyle went on sale cyber monday and I planned on ordering tues when I stopped for parts at Napa. Turns out it was an only Monday deal and they would not honor the price. 50% off for the flex head ratchet wrench. So yesterday I ordered the Tekton 12 piece metric set. American company and said to have very good quality and very good warranty. We will see when they arrive and get some use. oh and they are 72 tooth count.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tekton seems to be a solid company and alot of their stuff is USA made. I am disappointed to see my side job shop switch from Tekton to their own largely China made house brand.

My choice would be the older USA made Matco ratchet wrenches on Fleabay or Craig's List, I see them on there all the time and Matco will warranty them for you no problem. Lots of guys at the dealership had them and they worked great, these guys were not above using cheater pipes and hammers. I love Cornwell tools but their ratchet wrenches are the chintziest thing in the world. Foreign made with a ratchet closed end and an imitation Flank Drive Plus open end. The brand Cornwell is not even stamped or engraved on the tool, just printed in some fashion.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Loving the Tekton for my needs. Only complaint for hard to reach areas, would be I wish they had locking flex head. Beyond that id strongly recommend. I am going to order the standard set also.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Snap On has repo sales

When I was a tech, our Snappy dealers priced used tools (whether repo or trade in) at 75% the cost of new regardless of age or condition. Mac would practically give them away, sometimes pennies on the dollar. I always liked the newbies to the bizness who would walk off the truck with an armload of shiny new tools and a $50.00 a week note to go with it. You know those were going to be on the truck again soon, or sold to other guys in the shop so he could put gas in his car.

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For reversible ratcheting wrenches , I use these Snap-On wrenches every day at work and love them. Smooth, strong, small ratcheting head so they fit in places others won't, and they have the Flank Drive open end that really is amazing how well they grab without slipping.
Snapon Wrenches.jpg

For fixed head ratcheting wrenches, I use the Tekton 6 point and they are the smoothest easiest ratcheting mechanism I have tried. The stubby style from Tekton are unbeatable in really tight spots - you can operate them with 1 finger they are so smooth.
Tekton.jpg